Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the web over worked?

For the last week or so I get a lot of server not found error messages when attempting to browse regularly visited sites. We are not talking about misspellings here, these are bookmarked, regular sites like these forums, Google, my bank etc. They seem to come back in a few minutes or hours. Is there just too much traffic in general or is there a more sinister explanation? (I just love sinister explanations....)

If you are using Internet Explorer especially evil 7, these are results from Windows Updates & virus updates. They may or may not cure up with time.

I have not seen any problems with Firefox or and Mozilla based browsers.

Butch

One of the things I absolutely LOATHE about Windows Updates is every time I do them, my system glitches in silly, stupid, unexplainable ways for about two weeks. Then it sorta stops glitching... until I do the next raft of Updates. I've reached the point where I just can't bring myself to do the Updates each and every month, based on the inconvenience of the stupid 'recuperation' period which reliably follows. #*&@%!($#...!!!

And since I just did some Updates a week ago, I can't give you an accurate reading on whether I'm noting any sluggishness with the Web in general, due to the intermittent silliness of recuperating from Updates. :rolleyes:

Dale,

It could be your service provider. These guys use a planning method called "statistical multiplexing". That means they buy enough stuff to service all their customers with a traffic model that says that not everyone is going to be wanting their share of bandwidthat the same time. Now, if they had plan A where Plan A did not include 500 folks streaming movies or what have you, things start timing out. Add to that, a equipment problem or two, and the whole model falls apart. But, what it probably actually is that the NSA has fallen behind in it evesdropping of your net traffic and they are just storing it up for analysis later.

From the Black Helicopter,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

I'm online a lot.

I have DSL at home, and a T-1 at work.

I use Mozilla Firefox instead of internet explorer. I also use a program called CCleaner, and set it up to clean out my cookies, temp files, etc., everyday.

*****I never have a problem.******

http://www.ccleaner.com/

I also use 2-3 spyware/malware removal programs, except when I ran ubuntu LINUX instead of Windows.

LINUX is like teflon, nothing sticks to it.

How often are you cleaning out your cookies and temporary internet files???????????????????

Edited by Derek45

But, what it probably actually is that the NSA has fallen behind in it evesdropping of your net traffic and they are just storing it up for analysis later.

Chuck

Yeah, that's what I thought. I can't blame it on Microsoft cause I'm using Firefox. Since I'm on Hughes net satellite network the NSA or some other three letter agency is probably understaffed to read all the traffic in a timely manner. Since there is a 1.5 second latency for each transmission multiplied by however many users, that's a lot of time. :blink:

I am prepared for the black helicopters though. Because I run a monthly steel match I always have surplus cans of white spray paint....

:cheers:

But, what it probably actually is that the NSA has fallen behind in it evesdropping of your net traffic and they are just storing it up for analysis later.

Chuck

Yeah, that's what I thought. I can't blame it on Microsoft cause I'm using Firefox. Since I'm on Hughes net satellite network the NSA or some other three letter agency is probably understaffed to read all the traffic in a timely manner. Since there is a 1.5 second latency for each transmission multiplied by however many users, that's a lot of time. :blink:

I am prepared for the black helicopters though. Because I run a monthly steel match I always have surplus cans of white spray paint....

:cheers:

the Hughes company doing clandestine intel??? Never happen..... <_<

From the Glomar Explorer,

Chuck

Sounds like your ISP is having DNS issues.

Unless you have access to a 3rd party DNS server that is reliable, the next best thing is to browse the DSLreports.com forums for your ISP and see what people are advising. VEry often you can ride out crap DNS service (usualy due to maintenance or the need to perform such) until everything is fixed in your area by pointing your system at another of your ISP's DNS servers in a diferent region.

I have comcast, and haven't had to do that in the last about 10 months, but the year before I had to do it about every 2 months.