Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Marine Corp competition team

I attempted for quite some time to get in contact with anyone that would be able to point me in the right way to get a navy USPSA team together but the Navy is not interested in practical shooting. Only Bullseye and such. I was going to sign up for the NW Region shooting team but everyone there was so stuck up and full of themselves that I just said screw them I would rather pay my own USPSA match fees and have fun doing it.

IYAOYAS, we all have our opinions, and until you know the whole story dont bad mouth people that are risking their lives.

Edited by CaseyJ

I attempted for quite some time to get in contact with anyone that would be able to point me in the right way to get a navy USPSA team together but the Navy is not interested in practical shooting. Only Bullseye and such. I was going to sign up for the NW Region shooting team but everyone there was so stuck up and full of themselves that I just said screw them I would rather pay my own USPSA match fees and have fun doing it.

You could try forming an unofficial team, get a bunch of Navy folks together who are interested, get some team shirts made and start entering matches. Get some pictures done, perhaps put an article together in Front Sight and then show it around the top brass to see if they are interested in using the team as a recruitment/promotional tool. I think that's how the Air Force team started...

ie. Show them that it works first.

Edited by BritinUSA

You could try forming an unofficial team, get a bunch of Navy folks together who are interested, get some team shirts made and start entering matches. Get some pictures done, perhaps put an article together in Front Sight and then show it around the top brass to see if they are interested in using the team as a recruitment/promotional tool. I think that's how the Air Force team started...

ie. Show them that it works first.

That is a Darn good Idea! Didn't really think of that. I have a few fellow sailors that I work with and shoot with at loacl matches quite often. Maybe I can rush some match shirts for Area 1 before this weekend. I think Pat Kelley would probably be willing to do something on us. He is a great guy, and a great shooter too.

edited for spelling

Edited by CaseyJ

IYAOYAS, we all have our opinions, and until you know the whole story dont bad mouth people that are risking their lives.

It's strange you bring this up - because last weekend @ Area 8. I met a shooter from the Navy Marksmanship Team. He said he just drove from Camp Perry just to shoot the Area match. He also mentioned that he was hoping that the NMT would also start an Action Shooting Section. I honestly couldn't tell you his name :unsure:

The Air Force Academy has been too P.C. to put together a team and send it back east for the match.

We (USAFA) had an IPSC/IDPA/3-gun team for many years. Major Roger Sherman and I ran it.

In late 2002 or early 2003 we lost our funding.

End of story.

The Air Force Academy has been too P.C. to put together a team and send it back east for the match.

We (USAFA) had an IPSC/IDPA/3-gun team for many years. Major Roger Sherman and I ran it.

End of story.

Yeah - funny how funding for stuff like that disappears in wartime...

End of story.

Yeah - funny how funding for stuff like that disappears in wartime...

You know, I see the House just passed a 460 Billion dollar Defense budget for next year, and that's WITHOUT funding for Iraq and Afghanistan.

A couple hundred thousand dollars, or hell, a couple million for an IPSC team, strikes me as so damn little money in the scheme of things....

We occasionally see a small group of active duty Marines from Pendleton at various matches in the southwest. The guys I've spoken to were assigned in training billets. Every one of them is a great competitor and a pleasure to squad with. Their CO was able to swing a van for them to travel to Area 2 last year. But that's about the extent of their support.

"Home of Champions"

The United States Army Marksmanship Unit (USAMU) was established 1 March 1956 at the direction of President Dwight D. Eisenhower to raise the standards of marksmanship throughout the U.S. Army. The three missions of the unit are to compete and win in Interservice, national, international and Olympic Competitions, promote the Army, and enhance combat readiness.

Since 1956, members of the USAMU have gained worldwide respect by winning hundreds of individual and team national titles, more than 40 World Championships, and 21 Olympic medals.

Additionally, the unit has the responsibility to promote the U.S. Army by heightening public trust and confidence in Army Marksmanship. These efforts are accomplished through active public information awareness programs, which assist the U.S. Army Recruiting Command's increasing requirement for top quality new recruits. The basis for these efforts focuses on the accomplishments and capabilities of USAMU shooters and technicians. USAMU soldiers also serve to enhance the public trust and confidence in the Army's lethality with small arms.

Likewise, the USAMU enhances combat readiness through the unit's provision of technical and advisory assistance in the development of military match-type small arms, equipment and ammunition. Upon request, USAMU will coordinate and conduct basic rifle and pistol marksmanship train-the-trainer clinics for small arms proponents, United States Army Infantry School, and other service marksmanship training units to translate marksmanship skills of competitive shooting into useful combat marksmanship training tools.

USAMU is composed of six competitive shooting sections utilizing world class facilities for both training and competition. Facilities consist of 260 acres with 7 ranges and 18 buildings. Service Rifle, Service Pistol, International Rifle, International Pistol, Action Shooting, Shotgun comprise the shooting sections and are renowned as the "best in the world". Of these teams, only International Rifle, International Pistol, Shotgun are Olympic sports. Support is provided to these soldier-athletes through the Custom Firearms Shop and the support branches of supply, operations and administration.

The unit makes or customizes its own small arms and much of its own ammunition through the Custom Firearms Shop. The Custom Firearms Shop, made up of gunsmiths, machinists, range technicians and ammunition loaders, could be called the "backbone" of the unit. In fact, it was the first section formed when the unit was established. In order to compete successfully, it was determined better arms and ammunition were required. Here, gunsmiths build top-quality competitive-grade rifles and pistols for our competitive teams...many from the ground up. The custom Firearm Shop's research and development efforts have led not only to enhanced accuracy and reliability of our competitive weapons systems and ammunition, but have intensified the combat effectiveness of the entire Army. It is here that the M-21 and M-24 Sniper Systems and Special Reaction Team Rifles were developed and tested.

The extraordinary combined efforts of the assigned soldiers and civilians of the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit are why we have come to be known as ... "The Home of Champions".

We ARE a deployable unit, and have deployed on a number of occasions during almost every major conflict involving the US.

VR,

AARON L. HAMPTON

SFC, USA

NCOIC AS Team

"When people who are honestly mistaken learn the truth, they will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest."

--Anon.

"Home of Champions"

The United States Army Marksmanship Unit (USAMU) was established 1 March 1956 at the direction of President Dwight D. Eisenhower to raise the standards of marksmanship throughout the U.S. Army. The three missions of the unit are to compete and win in Interservice, national, international and Olympic Competitions, promote the Army, and enhance combat readiness.

Since 1956, members of the USAMU have gained worldwide respect by winning hundreds of individual and team national titles, more than 40 World Championships, and 21 Olympic medals.

Additionally, the unit has the responsibility to promote the U.S. Army by heightening public trust and confidence in Army Marksmanship. These efforts are accomplished through active public information awareness programs, which assist the U.S. Army Recruiting Command's increasing requirement for top quality new recruits. The basis for these efforts focuses on the accomplishments and capabilities of USAMU shooters and technicians. USAMU soldiers also serve to enhance the public trust and confidence in the Army's lethality with small arms.

Likewise, the USAMU enhances combat readiness through the unit's provision of technical and advisory assistance in the development of military match-type small arms, equipment and ammunition. Upon request, USAMU will coordinate and conduct basic rifle and pistol marksmanship train-the-trainer clinics for small arms proponents, United States Army Infantry School, and other service marksmanship training units to translate marksmanship skills of competitive shooting into useful combat marksmanship training tools.

USAMU is composed of six competitive shooting sections utilizing world class facilities for both training and competition. Facilities consist of 260 acres with 7 ranges and 18 buildings. Service Rifle, Service Pistol, International Rifle, International Pistol, Action Shooting, Shotgun comprise the shooting sections and are renowned as the "best in the world". Of these teams, only International Rifle, International Pistol, Shotgun are Olympic sports. Support is provided to these soldier-athletes through the Custom Firearms Shop and the support branches of supply, operations and administration.

The unit makes or customizes its own small arms and much of its own ammunition through the Custom Firearms Shop. The Custom Firearms Shop, made up of gunsmiths, machinists, range technicians and ammunition loaders, could be called the "backbone" of the unit. In fact, it was the first section formed when the unit was established. In order to compete successfully, it was determined better arms and ammunition were required. Here, gunsmiths build top-quality competitive-grade rifles and pistols for our competitive teams...many from the ground up. The custom Firearm Shop's research and development efforts have led not only to enhanced accuracy and reliability of our competitive weapons systems and ammunition, but have intensified the combat effectiveness of the entire Army. It is here that the M-21 and M-24 Sniper Systems and Special Reaction Team Rifles were developed and tested.

The extraordinary combined efforts of the assigned soldiers and civilians of the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit are why we have come to be known as ... "The Home of Champions".

We ARE a deployable unit, and have deployed on a number of occasions during almost every major conflict involving the US.

VR,

AARON L. HAMPTON

SFC, USA

NCOIC AS Team

"When people who are honestly mistaken learn the truth, they will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest."

--Anon.

Thank-you.