Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feelings on Precision Bullets?

VeryBadshot

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure that is leading you're getting from the PBs?

I don't know how you would get exposed lead in your barrel form a 100% coated bullet unless you aren't belling enough and are cutting off the coating....?

I used the PBs before David Long bought the company. David improved the quality 100% with proper alloy and now cold swages them.

I have used them in my OPEN guns at high pressure and velocity with NO PROBLEMS.

David says they're not for the open guns but they were fine.

I believe my first SV barrel lasted so long as far as rifling because of the lower wear from the PB bullet.

Are you sure that is leading you're getting from the PBs?

I don't know how you would get exposed lead in your barrel form a 100% coated bullet unless you aren't belling enough and are cutting off the coating....?

Yes, I got leading and it was so bad I had to use a copper scouring pad to get it out. I had plenting of bell and minimal crimp. The problem is simply that the factory barrel in my Kimber has a rough spot about mid barrel. I constistently would get lead streaks down 2 of the grooves in the rifling that would build up with repeated firing to where it could become even with the lands! This barrel did the same thing with Laser Cast bullets, which supposedly dont lead either, so the barrel is definitely the culprit. Dave is a cool guy and there is nothing wrong with his bullets. They just don't work with this barrel. If I ever rebarrel this gun, I'd give Precision another try. The barrel shoots jacketed bullets and even plated fine, with no accuracy issues though. Dave's bullets work fine in my G17 (factory barrel) and G22 (KKM barrel.) I haven't gotten them to feed reliably in my LWD barreled G24, which is a bummer because I'd really like to use them there!

Hello: What I found with my stock Kimber barrel was it would pick up the moly coating, not lead. I worried about it for a while then just did a cleaning and left it in there. It did not effect anything at all. After a while it actually did not build up as bad-go figure. I would not be scared to use Precision bullets at all. I use them for 9mm,40 and 45. Thanks, Eric

My barrel would lead up bad enough to make the bullets keyhole. My barrel has +120,000 rds through it and the lands are rounded and worn. The bullets are skidding to begin with and taking coating/lead off the bullets and caking it in the barrel. And yes, it is a nightmare to remove. I've shot these bullets in a newer schuemann barrel with good results and barely any leading. I think the tendancy to lead is because they are swaged bullets(softer). I can shoot Master Blaster bullets through my worn barrel just fine because they are hard cast coated bullets and they have less bearing surface(because of the grease groove) with no leading.

I think the tendancy to lead is because they are swaged bullets(softer).

I don't doubt that they're leading in your gun, but it's not due to softness. Precision's bullets use the same alloy as most hard cast bullets. Most other swaged bullets do use softer alloys, but not the Precisions.

I think the tendancy to lead is because they are swaged bullets(softer).

I don't doubt that they're leading in your gun, but it's not due to softness. Precision's bullets use the same alloy as most hard cast bullets. Most other swaged bullets do use softer alloys, but not the Precisions.

Yeah, I don't think they are soft like old swaged wadcutters, but they are right much softer than the MB's. The softness and the greater bearing surface may be the reasons they are leading so badly in my gun.

EG

• 2 weeks later...

Precision doesn't smoke as much as lead, but it does smoke. If you don't mind shooting thru smoke go ahead. Personally I don't like smoke.

Hi all!

Been thinking about buying a few K's of Precision Bullets, 40's in the 155 and 175gr. Was hopeing to hear how they have worked for people. Getting really done with the lead mess and to cheap to cough up the beans for FMJ's. Thx and good shooting!

I shot 2500 of the 170 grains and I liked them. I started casting though after the recent increase in lead prices.

Loads I liked in 170 were,

5.3grains of W231 at 1.130" with CCI500 primer

3.9grains of Unique at 1.130" with CCI550 primers

3.9grains of AA#2 at 1.135 with CCI550 primers

The w231 load was my powerful one, the other two were fun plinkers.

Been working up a load with the "new" bullets. And they may not as smokeless as factory but they are a HECK of a lot better than lead. The price jump is a little painful. However after my last match, in which a lead bullet almost welded itself in to the gun and the lack of smoke......I'll just work a little more. I can shoot at my place when ever I want but the nearest match is 90 miles away, don't ever want to be "jammed up" with lead ammo again :angry2:

• 3 months later...

good lead bullets cannot be faulted. crappy lead bullets smoke, lead and are inaccurate.

with unjacketed bullets, powder selection is critical to reduce the smoke output.

TG seems to be the worst offender. WST the least.

Harmon

• 2 weeks later...
Clays is a bit fast for my liking in 40. If I don't want smoke for major matches I just go to JHP's.

That is my plan for major matches. But, with the higher cost of the bullets, I was looking for an alternative.

What do you think about titegroup Matt with the Precision 185's?

I have never shot the precision bullets out of a 40 and I am curious to see how they perform. Of course, if my accuracy suffers, I'm not even going to use them at a local match. I picked up 500 of the 185's and I can't wait to see how they perform.

I've only ever loaded titegroup with the precisions. It does smoke a bit in some conditions. But I'm trying to save a buck with the bullets, so why not a cheap powder too? I've really only had 4 or 5 times I wished for jacketed bullets in the past 2 years.

I used Bullseye with 185 Precisions, and that load smokes as much as my Minor load of Clays with 180 Hornady swaged bullets. Just FYI...

ETA some clarification...

Edited by revchuck

With Universal Clays and Precision bullets, I've been asked if my gun is coal fired. If the wind isn't blowing at least a little bit, I can't see my front sight after firing a shot. Maybe something slower would work better. I'd think the problem would be even worse with Clays (which I wouldn't shoot in .40 myself) or TG.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had some discussion via email with Dave long about powders and his bullets. Based on his recommendations, I've done some experimentation.

Dave says that in his experience, TG is going to be smoky. I agree. He also recommends the VV powders, N320 & N340. I've used both and they are much better than TG in the smoke dept. They also leave far less fouling in the barrel.

My belief is that the difference is at least partly due to the temperature of the powder burn. Titegroup is double based and has one of the highest percentages of NG of any powder. That means it burns hot. Heat, IMHO, is what is burning the coating and underlying lead.

VV powders are single based and contain no NG. They burn substantially cooler. I think this is what causes the reduced smoke and barrel fouling.

Another (cheaper) single base option is the Solo powders. Solo 1000 is about the same burn speed (slightly faster) as N320, and Solo 1250 is about the same speed (slightly slower) as N340. I haven't used them with Precision bullets, just noting the availability.

I've had some discussion via email with Dave long about powders and his bullets. Based on his recommendations, I've done some experimentation.

Dave says that in his experience, TG is going to be smoky. I agree. He also recommends the VV powders, N320 & N340. I've used both and they are much better than TG in the smoke dept. They also leave far less fouling in the barrel.

My belief is that the difference is at least partly due to the temperature of the powder burn. Titegroup is double based and has one of the highest percentages of NG of any powder. That means it burns hot. Heat, IMHO, is what is burning the coating and underlying lead.

VV powders are single based and contain no NG. They burn substantially cooler. I think this is what causes the reduced smoke and barrel fouling.

This is good information! Question for you though,,what is NG?

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, I ordered some now help me out here. Never loaded lead before only fmj and plated.

What will I need to do differently ? Do I lube ?

Right now I shooting Barry's 180 plated with 4.6gr Tightgroup doing about 960-970 from an STI Edge

Really tuned in and would like to keep close to the same impulse, Will most likely go with WST for smoke

control, got the 185's