Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

<_< We have a Lawyer friend that heads a firm and has an office in the building that my wife manages. He drafted and finalized simple wills for her mom and dependant aunt. The problem is he called and said whatever we want to pay is fine. Our predicament - what is the going rate? He runs an office of several lawyers who bring in most of the revenue. Any thoughts?

My last experience with this dates to 2003, when a friend of a friend charged us $400 to draft a simple will, durable medical and legal power of attorney, and a living will for my mother-in-law, shortly after she was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. That same lawyer charged me about $ 800 for the drafting of the contract/closing of my house sale in NJ last year, if that helps to put it in context. Location was middle class suburbs --- not super ritzy, not poor either.....

Anyone consider "will and trust" software.

Yeah, I think you can get those at Office Depot, look on the shelf right next to the "Do It Yourself Appendectomy" kits.

Yup.....CompUSA has them was well. Keep in mind, though, you truly get what you pay for. A good estate attorney gets $200 to $300 an hour typically and they will be worth every penny when it really counts.

$600 seems to be the going rate around here for the whole package from living will, to durable powers of attorney, will, and all the trimmings if you are starting from scratch. Revisions are a less.

Depends on how good an attorney they are...

Exactly correct.

And, keep in mind that attorney's fees vary quite a bit from region to region. The same work will cost much more in a big city like New York or Chicago than it would if prepared by an equally-adept lawyer in a small midwestern town, for example.

IF he is a friend a $150.00 will be fine.

Thats a good point if he is truly a friend of the family, and is letting you make some token payment just so you don't feel awkward about receiving the service, then let you heart guide you on the amount but the $100 to $150 range would probably be at most what he's expecting.

If its an "acquaintance" , and is expecting to be paid fairly for his work, quit beating around the bush and just ask him to bill you so there's no ambiguity on either side, and no hard feelings if you guess to low. Never known a lawyer hesitant to bill anybody, for anything. :lol:

Depends on how good an attorney they are...

Exactly correct.

And, keep in mind that attorney's fees vary quite a bit from region to region. The same work will cost much more in a big city like New York or Chicago than it would if prepared by an equally-adept lawyer in a small midwestern town, for example.

If I had know you before my father passed you would have been #1 on my list Mike.

The attorney we elected is from Holstein Iowa and has a huge back ground of dealing with agriculture related issues including properly conveying interest in real estate. My heirs are the same as my mother at this point in time. So the Wills read the same except for the name change.

Minimal work is why it was so inexpensive. And yes Mike is right; a small town layer can have a tough time making a living with out owning another business.

I am not a lawyer and can't practice law with out a license.FM

If I had know you before my father passed you would have been #1 on my list Mike.

I appreciate that Dale. However, I don't know much about wills and trusts, I'm a civil trial lawyer.

And I'm often hesitatant to bill my clients for my work, particularly when there's a possibility it would create a financial hardship for them. Everybody in my office does pro bono work, and I have written off my time on several files already this year, to help people out. I think this is much more typical of my profession than the public realizes....