Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ghost

JThompson

I just got a Ghost holster to try out... I got the latest version, or I think I did, but I have a couple of questions. First, The gun sems fine as far as pushing it forward, it won't, but if you rotate it back about 30 degrees it pops free. Also, does it take two hands to lock this thing, or am I missing something? It appears to me that to keep it from rotating back and popping out you would have to drill it and back that little screw out to engage the guard. I thought this model didn't have to do that.

JT

Edited by JThompson

the 2 little screws (in line with each other) near the top of the holster should be backed out just a smidge to prevent that backwards rotation. It won't get rid of it totally but will eliminate some of it. Which reminds me I need to adjust mine since its getting worn down from all the draw practice i've been doing :P . As for locking it, i use 2 hands but you can do it with one hand with some practice. I think the locking lever has too much slop to lock with one hand IMO. no problems on the unlock though.

the 2 little screws (in line with each other) near the top of the holster should be backed out just a smidge to prevent that backwards rotation. It won't get rid of it totally but will eliminate some of it. Which reminds me I need to adjust mine since its getting worn down from all the draw practice i've been doing :P . As for locking it, i use 2 hands but you can do it with one hand with some practice. I think the locking lever has too much slop to lock with one hand IMO. no problems on the unlock though.

Thanks for the quick reply... that helped, but I still dunno if I like that. Also, am not happy with that lock at all. They could have come up with a better way to lock it up than having to use two hands or perform finger yoga.

I was thinking if I added a platform to this thing it might be exactly what I'm looking for other than the lock-up. I will have to think about that one. Has anyone added a platform to this?

JT

i saw one guy at our club who had added a platform. looked cool but i think it defeats the whole "no platform" concept. should be easy to come up with something and since its plastic it should drill and tap with no problems. I thought about doing a platform setup but now i just keep the gun in a pouch and handle only when told to do so. keeps the gun from collecting dust and allows me to move freely when i have the video cam out.

Be very sure you want to drill holes in the new ghost holster before you drill. The body of the holster is HOLLOW. Not sure how well it will hold screws.

I really like the CR speed. Locks securely with one hand, unlocks easily, release smoothly especially with the arredondo lever installed on it! It does need adjustment initially, though.

MLM

Be very sure you want to drill holes in the new ghost holster before you drill. The body of the holster is HOLLOW. Not sure how well it will hold screws.

I really like the CR speed. Locks securely with one hand, unlocks easily, release smoothly especially with the arredondo lever installed on it! It does need adjustment initially, though.

MLM

I dunno if it's me or what, but I can not get the CR to retain properly. Just a little bump from front to back will knock it loose when unlocked. I will not continue to use it for safety reasons. I almost tossed that sucker on the floor loaded during practice. It's not worth putting myself or squad-mates at risk. The Ghost does not move if bumped forward and that was the major issue.

If it's hollow and I decide to go ahead and drill it I will fill the inside with epoxy and then redrill. Thanks for the heads up, so I can have everything I need should I go that route... I didn't know it is hollow.

to lock it with one hand, with my palm facing up, I stick my middle finger to push in the lever and my pointer finger to push it to the vertical position or my thumb to push it to the horizontal position depending on where I need it to be. I have small hands so it has never been too hard.

I never liked the CR Speed. Didnt lock right for me. Might have been defective as it was used when I got it.

My Ghost has been nothing short of spectacular. I've shot many matches with my Open STI and have *never once* had an issue. Not with it falling out nor with it rotating backwards. How much do you really think the gun can rotate on it's own ? I can see it getting bumped accidentally from time to time, but it would take an awful lot of force (add to that some backwards rotation) to knock it out of a Ghost holster.

And the locking mechanism (lever) will get easier to use in time. I had trouble with it at first .... but now I think I was just being silly, because it is real easy to use (even one handed). It does take some getting used to at first. You may even find it easier to rotate your hand and go at it from the bottom of the gun for awhile.

I see lots of folks using rubber bands and all sorts of straps to 'hold' their gun in their Ghost holster ...... <_< it's just not necessary when properly adjusted. I truly think the Ghost holster is the best one out their. Especially for $120

... just my 2 cents

Well with my CZ TS to lock it all I do is come from under the grip, forearm parallel to the ground as if I am shaking someone's hand and hold the holster with my index finger on the outside of the holster and the pad of my thumb against the pivot area of the lever on the inside. I then just squeeze in and rotate up using the inside of my thumb against the lever. (Sounds a little more complicated than it is in real life). Fantastic holster in my book, but I have never used a CR.

Thanks for the input guys. I have a "special needs" C-more mount on mine... read side mount, so there's a little less room. I'll get it figured out. Funny thing is the pedestal on my CR came loose and I changed the height of it and tightened it back up. As soon as I did that the retention problem was solved! Of course I already have the ghost now. Ha! The Ghost allows for more space out from my side which I like, so I'm going to try it out. If I like the Ghost I will put the CZ inserts in the CR speed and use that for my limited gun. ;) It's all goods

Jt

Edited by JThompson

I know about the ghosts being hollow from my friends trying to mod one to fit a glock with a carver mount on it. They had previously done this with the old style & it worked fine. As soon as they carved into the new one, it was all over. I assume the ghost for your gun would be made the same as the one for the glocks.

Glad you got the problem worked out on the CR speed. The WSM hangar might get the gun further away from your body than the versa hangar, not sure since I don't have one.

Good luck,

MLM

• 2 weeks later...
I owned one and they are not that great, matter of fact I like the limcat better and the ghost much better!

I don't like it... tried it tonight wound up catching the gun on the way to the floor. My fault for not having it properly engaged but.... also, what's the deal with that pad digging into your leg?

ANyone want to trade for another CR speed? I guess I could just sell it and get another speed rig.

I love mine. Dropped multiple guns out of our limcats before we got rid if them because they have the worst lock in the bunch and the ghost is just too cumbersome to engage and disengage for me. After owning all of them, the guga is the best for me. I would give it a chance if I were you but if you want to sell it, I will buy it for my L10 rig. PM me if interested.

I havn't seen any problem with the Ghost.

I bought mine used three years ago and never had a problem with it.

The lock is easily engaged with one hand, I just drop the gun into place, reach down and engage the lock with my thumb.

I have long thought that once the Ghost is worn out, (if ever) I might like to try the Guga.

Some of my fellow club members swear by them.

My only hesitation would be that some stages require me to start with the holster locked.

Any motion such as jumping, running, standing up, that may cause the gun to fall out requires me to keep it locked.

The Ghost has a lever that protrudes out far enough that I can easily sweep it as I draw.

The corresponding unlock lever on the Guga is much smaller and I fear I would miss it when unlocking on the draw.

Aside from that I may yet give Ribas a try.

I still think it would be hard to beat my Ghost.

Tls

Edited by 38superman