Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cancer..ugly disease

eerw

A common hatred...

took my mother-in-law a few years ago..now my cousin is fighting it..

gawd what an ugly, demoralizing, exhausting disease... :angry2::angry2:

spent the afternoon out in Eugene visiting my favorite cousins..we have always shared interests in photography, guns and custom knives.

He is a talented knife maker, with many of his designs manufactured by Spyderco and with just about every maker and company making a knife from one of his original designs..

he is tough..and the radiation and chemo has shrunk the tumor..but has left him pretty weak..

but he does have a lot of support and love from his family, friends and church.

thanks for letting me vent...

It's too bad we still don't have a neat and tidy way to deal with Cancer. We're still using a sledgehammer to kill gnats. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't... and the hammer ends up demolishing the surroundings the gnat was sitting on. I still think there's a future in narrowly "targeted" cancer treatments but more work will have to be done in this area to develop techniques for implementing it. There HAS been progress though. The tricky thing is there are soooo many types of Cancer and so many variations..... mind boggling. Which doesn't help pin down effective treatments in all cases. It's all still very experimental--even the traditional approaches to treatment. *Sigh*

My Father passed away just a year ago of pancreatic cancer at age 51....it takes a toll on everyone involved and is not something I would ever wish anyone to have to go thru.

Edited by robomanusa

Stuart,

My thoughts are with you. It is no cakewalk. I lost my Mom (1970), Dad (1979) and my older sister (2004). I have seen 3 generations of treatment and things now are really amazing compared to my Mom's time. My sister had contracted breast cancer in 1996 and they held it at bay for 8 years. It just came back so quick and spread so fast that there was nothing they could do this go around. Hang in there and hope for the best but cherish every second you have with your loved ones since you never know when things will end.

Later,

Chuck

Cancer scares the crap out of me and brings back some bad memories.

My wife took me shooting sporting clays for my birthday in Oct 2000, the recoil from the shotgun bruised her right breast and made apparent a lump that she had not detected before. After a needle biopsy we found out that she had breast cancer. She spent the entire year of 2001 having 2 different lumpectomies, 6 months of chemo, and 3 months of radiation. She was a trooper and we were lucky to catch the cancer earlier; and today she is still here thanks to God and the wonderful care she received. She just passed the 5 year mark on post-cancer treatment and is being checked more often than most but so far she has been lucky and nothing has returned.

We also have a dear friend at church who has been battling ovarian cancer for almost 3 years and just got news finally that she is improving. This lady has had at least 5 surgeries (removing most of her insides it seems) and has been near death on several occasions. I do believe that she is still not out of the woods yet but I thought she would have been long gone by now based on her prognosis.

Hang in there and be glad that cancer treatment has progressed to the point it is today. From talking to other women who had survived breast cancer my wife learned how much better the chemotherapy and overall treatment is today.

David

Cancer knows no age difference. All you have to do is go to any Childrens Hospital.

MyDad was 52 when he died from liver cancer in 1974.

Lynn was 3 months less a day from her 59th birthday, and it was on her birthday that I buried the ashes.

David:

Glad to hear that your bride is doing well and sorry to hear about your friend.

Scooter:

Hope Dad's OK now and sorry about the ex.