Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 in 9mm

Rogan

Ok, I'm gonna stir the pot a little. Anyone hear a rumor of S&W releasing a 9mm version of the 627? :surprise:

I spoke with an employee :ph34r: and was able to add my 2 cents. I said, "please make it happen." :rolleyes:

Anyone else like the idea of 9mm?

If not, what's your caliber of choice and why?

Rich

Rob did a fair bit of testing on the 9mm last year. Bullet stability seemed an issue.

Try a search and see what you come up with. There are a couple of good threads about it.

My prayer gun has been a 9mm with appropriate barrel twist and a 6.5 inch barrel for years on the forums for ICORE.

I hope they don't screw it up by making it "tactical".

They can send mine straight to Randy Lee

At the barest minimum, it takes a 250 gun purchase order to interest S&W in any sort of special run. So, find 249 of your closest friends that would be willing to buy such an animal it can happen...

Several shooters on the forum have experimented with 9mm in the 627 38super revolvers...the thread is here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry370348

Sorry guys, I wasn't clear enough in my first post.

The S&W employee told me, they are planning a 627 in 9mm. No release date yet. He then asked my opinion and I told him a factory made 9mm would be ok with me. After competing in the IRC this year with a 627 in 38 special, I set up some dummy rounds in 38 short colt to compare the difference in reloading speed. I'm slightly faster and much more consistent with the short colts than the 38 specials.

If the 627 was coming from the factory in 9mm, I think the accuracy issues regarding bullet jump and forcing cone/throating should no longer apply. My meager experience with short colts in 38 special length cylinders shows a reduction in accuracy, which seems to match the experiences reported here on the forum.

So my main point in starting this thread is: is 9mm the correct alternate caliber for the 627 or is there a better choice? We probably won't be able to change S&W's mind, but if there is a better caliber choice, let's make an attempt to influence S&W.

Rich

If stability was an issue, it wasn't due to rate of twist. Pin shooters used to shoot 230 grain logs with the same twist and no stability problems that I'm aware of (Pat Sweeney and/or Mike Carmoney, please correct me if I'm wrong) and the old Super Police load (200 grain RNL at <700 fps) worked fine too. SIG P210s use a 1-10" twist and nobody complains about their accuracy.

I don't doubt that there were stability problems, I just think that the source lays somewhere else.

I'd be happy with 38 super (again). Always hated reloading 9's. Damn little finger pinchers. Do enjoy watching the guys with major nine brass spitters swear at them while playing jamomatic. Tom

Needs a short titanium cylinder in any case.

Edited by Tom E

S&W doesn't have a clean record when it comes to producing inherently accurate revolvers, but I would be very interested in a 627 chambered specifically for the 9x19.

My bet would be that they would use the standard length cylinder, so if the 9x19 doesn't float your boat, it would be much more straight forward to modify the gun to run 38 Super.

Of course, if the 9x19 would run at all, it would be hard to beat the reloads on that short, tapered round. Show me where to sign up and I'll buy one. I'll shoot it in ICORE of course, and Production division in USPSA just in time for the course design rules to revert to 8 round arrays. B)

I have shot 9mm White Box from my 38 super open gun and my 686 38 super. Of course the issue is that the 9mm must be new and unfired from a 9mm gun. ( It fireforms to the chamber and will create a bigger base and then will not fit in the 38 super cylinders.) And the moonclips. Both moonsclips I use are loose so the 38 supers and 9mm will fit. I plan on taking both guns to a local match ( as my range is still to muddy to get to) and try them for accuracy and pf. The PF on the 686 38 super using the 124 grain jacketed White Bos was something like 114 PF the last time I checked it. I'll let you know next week....later rdd

Needs a short titanium cylinder in any case.

I mentioned that as well and said that at least 200 guns needed to come with a ti cylinder. This will add to the cost, but I said the intrest is there and those that want a ti cylinder will pay the extra $ to get it (me included).

My bet would be that they would use the standard length cylinder, so if the 9x19 doesn't float your boat, it would be much more straight forward to modify the gun to run 38 Super.

This is my big concern. If Smith uses a standard length cylinder, the accuracy should be lousy, since the bullet will gain so much velocity in the cylinder chamber, when it makes the jump from the cylinder to the throat it will be deforming as it's forced into the barrel (guys, if I'm wrong on this, :blush: please correct me), thus reducing potential accuracy. This is the same problem encountered when shooting 38 short colts in a standard length .357/.38 627.

On the other side of the coin, if Smith makes a true 9mm length cylinder and sets the barrel back to match, I think the short length of the cylinder would make any caliber change impossible without a total rework of the gun.'

I bring this up because ICORE limited class needs an unaltered factory barrel. So if the 9mm wasn't your caliber of choice, and you wanted to change it to, say, 38 super, wouldn't you be restricted to shooting open class?

I just want a revo that I can shoot in limited class that has a shorter round for faster reloads. And no, I haven't been able to find a 38 super version. They're getting scarce and pricey :angry: .

I would love to have one. I have never shot icore but I think this would be a peach for it.

But production USPSA and steel challenge this would be grand.

147gr minor loads in a big n frame would be sweet.

.................At this point I am cautiously optimistic, but with their track record I am afraid unless someone shows them and tells them what WE WANT.....we will get whatever they THINK we want.....

I showed Factory reps the 8 shot Short colt gun, with the short cylinder, smaller diameter bbl., etc, and explained to them why it worked and that most everyone at the banquet at the PSA Shootout, which is the second biggest Revolver match next to the IRC, would buy from S&W if they built something similar in 9x19, and got blown off, being told that They (S&W )had something in the works. It was really condescending and arrogant, and it really turned my stomach.

I am afraid we will get another 8 shot PC gun that costs twice as much as it should, and it wont run for what we need until we put a lot of time and money to fix it to the point that it should have been done the first time from the factory.... :ph34r:

****Editted to add that I am going to call the PC and volunteer to send them my Short colt gun to show them the short cylinder and how the gun shoots with the simple mods.....I will let you all know how it goes.*****

Flame suit on and at the same time saving my pennies for two of the guns..... :ph34r::P:P:P

DougC

Edited by DougCarden

How about a 10-shot 9mm on the X-frame? Jerry is trying to get Smith to do this too. 6" barrel with only 3"s outside the frame. Talk about an equipment race!

Heck. I couldn't even get my hand around one of those. I'll take the 8-shot N Frame.

.................At this point I am cautiously optimistic, but with their track record I am afraid unless someone shows them and tells them what WE WANT.....we will get whatever they THINK we want.....

I showed Factory reps the 8 shot Short colt gun, with the short cylinder, smaller diameter bbl., etc, and explained to them why it worked and that most everyone at the banquet at the PSA Shootout, which is the second biggest Revolver match next to the IRC, would buy from S&W if they built something similar in 9x19, and got blown off, being told that They (S&W )had something in the works. It was really condescending and arrogant, and it really turned my stomach.

I am afraid we will get another 8 shot PC gun that costs twice as much as it should, and it wont run for what we need until we put a lot of time and money to fix it to the point that it should have been done the first time from the factory.... :ph34r:

****Editted to add that I am going to call the PC and volunteer to send them my Short colt gun to show them the short cylinder and how the gun shoots with the simple mods.....I will let you all know how it goes.*****

Flame suit on and at the same time saving my pennies for two of the guns..... :ph34r::P:P:P

DougC

Break it to them gently that we don't need a tac light mount

Break it to them gently that we don't need a tac light mount

Or a compensator! :sick:

But we could use the bayonet lug :ph34r: you know for the close stuff :lol:

Hey now, some of us DO carry large frame revolvers concealed on a daily basis and I happen to think the light mount is cool! The two piece barrel sucks, but I guess machining one the right way for a light mount is just too much trouble these days.

Oh, and if they do make a 9mm 627, kindly remind them to not use .357 Magnum barrels.

Dave Sinko

While we're wishing, a 625 with a 25-2 contoured 6.5" barrel (but SS) and a PC 625 length (real short) Ti cylinder woud be easy to produce and damn nice.

Back to the 627 issue: A PC 625 length (in Ti of course) cylinder would be fine for 9x19 and still accomodate 38 super. A full length cylinder would have godawful long throats. Why all .45acp 625s don't come with PC length cylinders is beyond me (even if SS not Ti).

One of each and my credit card company would love me. Tom

I'd love to have a 627 in 9mm. With the cost of 45 bullets I'm getting ready to retire my 625 and was considering a traditional 627. I'd held off because I don't want to get started shooting 38 specials again. Since I'm already shooting almost exclusively 9mm in my autos I'd love to have a matching 9mm Revo to shoot. Man, I bet it wouldn't take long for the ammo savings alone to pay for the cost of the gun...

Sign me up for one.

-Cuz.

Hey now, some of us DO carry large frame revolvers concealed on a daily basis and I happen to think the light mount is cool! The two piece barrel sucks, but I guess machining one the right way for a light mount is just too much trouble these days.

Oh, and if they do make a 9mm 627, kindly remind them to not use .357 Magnum barrels.

Dave Sinko

Cool, maybe. But, make it an option. It has no function on a competition pistol which is what we would like Smith to make.

You are right about the .357 barrel. That is what I think we all are afraid they might do.

Edited by underlug

• 4 weeks later...