Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New limited gun/first post, how'd I do?

stopsign94

Hey guys, I've been browsing this forum for quite a while now, and just decided to register. I've been shooting Limited for about 6 months now with a glock 35 with the usual mods(trigger work,magwell,sights,barrel) and doing quite well with it. I was browsing the local blaster shop and found a very nice used SVI/caspian for sale on consignment. It used to belong to a shooter in my club, and was built by a very well known local gunsmith. Me being the impulsive fool I am, I bought it...

It is an SVI frame and grip, with an STI magwell, a caspian slide w/ a caspian F/O front(.08) and Caspian ghost ring rear, Scheumann(spelling) bull barrel, an aftec extractor, and a hammer/sear of unknown manufacture. Has a VERY nice light trigger pull, and shoots very nice(got to put 100 rounds through it really quick today at lunch). I have a couple pictures of it that i'll throw up here if possible. It came with what i was told were 2 STI mags and 2 SVI mags and a soft case. How'd I do for 1350? I think with the mags and knowing the entire history of the gun(was told very low round count, but is a couple years old) I did allright. Here's a pic, could only fit 1.

Any advice for a guy new to 2011/1911 platform besides tons of dryfire practice? Thanks a lot!!

Pic_1.bmp

Looks like a pretty good deal to me.

I wouldn't go changing much yet, but you may want to recontour the grip and either have it textured or stippled. It makes them feel a LOT better and easier to shoot. It's pretty easy to do if you're handy with tools and there are a bunch of threads here on how to do it. The other thing to consider is to start putting a kit of spare parts together (springs, extractor, guide rod, etc).

Welcome to the Forum....and now isn't that better than a plastic gun, even if it might have required financing.... :rolleyes:

Um...isn't it still plastic ? :rolleyes:

(You and I might have to shoot for pinks.)

stopsign94, looks like a good deal. (you might fit more pictures in if you save them as jpg files, instead of bmp files).

guys thanks for all the replies, I've never shot with a ghost ring rear, and don't know if I like it or not, only got to put 100 quick rounds through her so far. It's a caspian sight, and I actually don't live to far from them. I was told you can just change the blade, so that's what I'll probably end up doing. Now for a silly question, where's a good reference to read up about disassembly/reassembly? I think it has a recoilmaster that I disassembled, and it was "Interesting" getting it all back together, any good tutorials? This is my first 1911/2011 ever, so it's a completely new thing for me. Thanks for all the help guys, I know I'll have more questions as time goes on :)

I wish I new about this form when I started out, there seems to be a lot of people in the world who will sale you the Brooklyn Bridge if you’re new to the sport. To me it looks like a very good way to start in limited completion.

That was the exact same gun I was thinking of purchasing. Good price for the package. I just wasn't too keen on the para/clark ramp. Still an excellent deal.

As for your recoilmaster, call STI up and order one of their green recoilmaster take down tool. Its a small green half spacer that makes removal/installation a whole lot easier.

For disassembly/reassembly instructions, click here

Edited by yoshidaex