Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Price check on Berry's MFG .40 cal bullets

Cabela's has 180 gr round nose or flat point "premium swaged-precision plated" Berry's MFG bullets for $16.99 per box of 250.

that's $68 per one thousand, for a copper clad bullet.

Does that sound like a good price?

Any other cheaper suggestions for a copper jacketed, plated, washed bullet?

Nope, no lead!

I have probably shot about 20K of the Berrys bullets mostly in 180gr .40. They work pretty well for the most part and their prices are reasonable. However, I have had issues in the past with pricing. The last issue I had was with the lead surcharge that unbeknownst to me, had gone up something like $7/1000. I don't remember all of the gory details, so lets just say I probably will buy bullets from them again, but every time I do I say to myself, "I am never doing that again". The gal that I usually deal with down there is very nice and maybe that is why I keep going back.

TG

Does that $68 including shipping? That would equate to 0.068 cents per round which is good. If it costs any more, I'd go for Precision moly bullets for $174 for a case of 2500 shipped. They equate to 0.069 per round. Not sure if you're a moly bullet fan but I think the accuracy with the moly is better than the plated bullets out there.

As of Friday, the Berry's surcharge on Club pricing is $ 0.80 / pound. That means if you got the discounted rate direct from Berry's by buying 20k bullets the 40 caliber 180 gr RN or FP will cost you $72.19 per thousand (+ shipping). Shipping is $9 per 2k bullets for that particular bullet so your delivered cost direct from Berry's would be $76.69 per thousand. But, you need to buy a minimum of 20K bullets to get this pricing.

Hope that helps.

-Cuz.

76.69 for 20k bullets for the "Club" price on 180gr. FP?

What am I missing here?

Cabela's is selling the 180gr. FP for 16.99 as the original poster stated, which is cheaper.

I guess the best strategy is just to buy right from Cabela's and you only have to buy 250 bullets at a time...

76.69 for 20k bullets for the "Club" price on 180gr. FP?

What am I missing here?

Cabela's is selling the 180gr. FP for 16.99 as the original poster stated, which is cheaper.

I guess the best strategy is just to buy right from Cabela's and you only have to buy 250 bullets at a time...

You are missing the rapidly increasing costs for materials. I can only guess that Cabelas bought a large quantity when the prices were lower so they can sell them for less. When you make a bulk purchase direct from Berry's you have to pay the current prices based on the cost of materials at the time of purchase. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, I'm just passing along the details for those that are interested. I may have to look into Cabellas myself for some 9mm bullets.

-Cuz.

• 4 weeks later...

I raided our local cabelas in Ft. Worth, Texas for all the 180's they had, came out to 16.99 per box of 250. I also picked up the rest of the 147's for 9mm and they were 17.99 per box of 250. add the tax and it's a steal. I have read on the forums that prices are going up again in september. Lead has increased in price from .65 per pound to 1.65 per pound. That is a $2000 increase per ton purchased. CRAZY!

• 4 weeks later...

Well sorry in advance for the slight thread drift, but I have to give a huge :cheers: to Cabela's for EXCELLENT customer service. I just ordered 250 of the Berry's 180 HP and 250 of the 180 FP, along with 500 Rainiers to try out. Anyway, the box of Berry's HP's was opened in the box, and lost about half of them out the package(thanks again usps). Well I called Cabela's to let them know, and they sent me a new package of 250, even after I told them I was only missing probably 120-150. HUGE thumbs up for Cabela's, I'll be getting all of my bullets from them.

I think Cabelas is a GREAT Deal. I just ordered 1000 (4 packs of 250) with shipping it was only about $76.00 There shipping is based on purchase price for Standard UPS Ground.

Angel

Edited by A_Med

Just my 2 cents. At SS Nationals I used Berry's bullets. I almost didn't make Major 165.2. when I chrono'd before the match with three chrono's and at two elevations theywere at 172-173PF. We shot with a very prominent gm at L10 Nationals and he said something about going minor with plated bullets at a match. Something about the round actually shrinking after a week or so being crimped in the case. I still use berrys on occasion but mostly Bear Creek moly coated bullets they are a little cheaper. Next year I am definately using a premium jacketed for the big matches. But after I finish this I'm going to the Cabelas web site.

Jason

I was also told by a Professional shooter that his 230RN Plated bullets shrunk after loading, and his ammo almost went minor at one match, and did go minor at another.....He is not afraid to shoot heavy loads, so I believe him....

FWIW...

DougC