Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target-to-target transition

Demetrio

I like to look for the edge of the A box from the side I am swweping into, so that if I am really pushing the speed I don't over sweep.

Oh yeah, and then shoot.

• 8 months later...
I would say---

First the eyes

Then the head and upper body/arms - - - at the same time

Lower body and legs-- only if required.

I agree here the body will follow where the eyes go. Move the eyes first and the gun sights will follow to where your eyes are. Of course practice practice practice.

Scott

Anybody ever use the target stand sticks (visible below the hardcover)when a tight hidden target is coming up fast?

/Drift mode on:

That works. I also try indexing off some the hardcover as I approach a hidden target.

I try to "acquire the target" as early as possible, even setting up and mounting the gun before I see it. This is possible since I know from walking the stage where the target is, and have usually doped out a line of approach to the shooting point. I imagine that the cover isn't even there, and that the shooting point is just the optimal spot to take the shot (which is actually the case, since shots into hardcover are not likely to please the RO ;) ).

Drift mode off/

Edited by kevin c

First the eyes, then the upper body, or what else?

What's the correct technique to index the next target?

Thanks,

Demetrio.

When indexing, the only thing that should move independently of your upper body is your eyeball itself.

In a perfect world... You call the shot as acceptable as it fires. Immediately your eye swivels in its socket in to find the next target. Once your eye finds the next target, from then on it doesn't physically move. But your focus does, as it moves back from the target toward the front sight. So you will be focused on the front sight by the time the sights land on the target. During that entire time, your complete upper body stayed in your index position. Only the eyes move. (Okay, your trigger finger moves too.) ;)

be

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of people overshoot the target during the transition by trying to drive the gun quickly and stop dead when they're on target, but mere humans don't stop on a dime. We need a little time to stop which means that your shot is likely to land a few inches left or right of where it should go.

Try to factor in a short space to decelerate before stopping within your target zone when shooting multiple shots on a single target. For single shots, you can be faster by beginning your trigger pull before you are actually on target. That latter technique has applications in shooting moving targets.