Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rem rifle primers in 9mm?

halvey

Anyone have any experience with using Remington rifle primers in their 9mm loads? I've come across a stash I forgot I had and have no need for yet more prifle primers.

I sometimes use Winchester small rifle primers in my 9mm loads and ignition is fine. I tried the Magtech rifle primers and the cups too hard obviously. From my notes, CCI primers didn't work any better. I'm using a Glock if that matters.

What rifle primers work in pistol for you? Which don't?

Edited by halvey

I've used WSR and Fed 205s in my CZ-75Bs (factory mainspring) and Beretta 92 (factory DAO mainspring) with no problems. I even tried some of the ammo I have loaded with WSRs in my Kel-Tec PF-9 and they worked fine. I've never tried the Remington SR primers.

I use Federal small rifle in all of my 9Major loads but haven't tried them in normal loads so I am not sure if they would be any different. Federal primers are suppose to be the easiest to set off and have been in my experiance for whatever that is worth.

The remington's would work fine.

The one problem I had with remington's was they seemed a bit harder to set off than the federals in my open gun with a 15lb mainspring and all Ti ignition parts.

I would test some out and see if they go bang every time for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the federal small rifle primers in my open gun and always use them for major matches. The other good thing about them is that I have never not had one go bang. The second thing is that the small rifle cronos a bit higher also (about 20 ftpersec). I have had many winchester primer not go bang and real bad moments while shooting a stage. Just my 2 cents worth

b

DO NOT USE in your pistol. Rem primers are harder than most other primers. The pressure in a pistol is not sufficient to cause the primer to expand and seal the primer pocket. The result is a ring will be eaten into your breachface around the firing pin hole. It will eventually get deep enough to cause the gun to not feed. Took less than a couple hundred rounds to do it to my pistol.

Thanks for the info. Well, I ended up selling the Rem primers so its a non issue.

But, while I shot probably 500 rounds with Win primers and everything working prefectly, I had two light strikes - of course - on 2 different stages in an IDPA match. So, I think I will use up the Win primers for my practice loads.

• 2 weeks later...
DO NOT USE in your pistol. Rem primers are harder than most other primers. The pressure in a pistol is not sufficient to cause the primer to expand and seal the primer pocket. The result is a ring will be eaten into your breachface around the firing pin hole. It will eventually get deep enough to cause the gun to not feed. Took less than a couple hundred rounds to do it to my pistol.

Has anyone else had the same problems with Remington rifle primers?

I have about 12.000 that I inteded to use in my 9 mm Major loads, but if the breechface will be damaged is it maybe not worth using them!

In a pinch, I loaded some 38 Super rounds with Remmy primers and was warned to watch my breechface. Sure enough there was some leaking at the primers and it was eroding (quickly) my prestine Viper.

So...those rounds were tossed to my partner who was using a IMM open gun and I took his rounds.

Long story short, Winchesters will be the only thing being put in my guns.

Rich

Remington has 2 different small rifle primers. 7 1/2's are marked Benchrest, they're pretty hard. They work well for the AR. The other is the 6 1/2, which is softer. I believe that the 6 1/2 was for the lower pressure rounds, such as the .22 Hornet.

Has anyone else had the same problems with Remington rifle primers?

I have about 12.000 that I inteded to use in my 9 mm Major loads, but if the breechface will be damaged is it maybe not worth using them!

In a 9mm major gun at the pressures we run. I think that would be a null issue.

I have a couple of thousand Remington 7½(Benchrest), I have had no problem with misfires so far.

My normal 9 mm Major load makes a PF of about 181 with Hogdon HS 6 and Magtech 125 gn FMJ´s OAL 1.21. The presures are high no doubt about that,but no problems after about 600 rounds.

My SVI IMM wont "ignite" any Rifle primer I have tried but, with my new top end no problem so far(Caspian slide BarSto barrel and 3port EGW comp)