Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the best vise?

CSEMARTIN

I'm getting ready to buy a vise, and I was wondering what you guys are using and who has the best prices.

When I spoke with Bill Laughridge at C&S, he told me to get the heaviest vise I could find. I did find a Wilton that's around 100 pounds for almost a grand. Is that really necessary?

Thanks.

No, you don't need that much vice. (I took Bill's class.)

I picked up a 5in vice with a swivel base and a decent sized anvil. I think I got it a Lowe's or HD. The idea was I'd use that and keep my eye out for a deal on soemthing else. I've never had the need for more.

I also have a machine vice for my mini-mill and the 4in. multi-vice from Brownells. I still use the basice 5in from the local big box store.

Are you talking a precision vise for mounting to a Bridgeport or just a bench vise?

If its for machining you do need a stout parallel swivel base machine vise. look for a used machine tool outlet that sells used machine shop tools and pick up a nice used one, have seen nice used ones for $300.

As for a bench vise you wont need a monster for gunsmithing, but dont buy one from Harbor Freight. Get a decent one.

I think mine came from home depot or sutherlands, its a 5in, the jaws pull down pretty much even, it probaly goes 30 lbs or so. But as BrianH stated a good solid bench is more important than the weight of the vice. Mine cost 75.00 or so. The vise, a good solid bench and a good set of soft pads for the jaws and you are ready to go.---------Larry

The Lassen College gunsmithing program has a room full of Brownell's Multi-Vises on their benches. Page 171 in catalog 59. I have a knockoff from Grizzly.com on

my bench at home and can't tell the difference, except in price - it's called a Parrot vise. Heavy bench is key as was said.

Are you talking a precision vise for mounting to a Bridgeport or just a bench vise?

For now, I'm looking for a bench vise mainly for a 1911 build. I'd like something with a 5 or 6" jaws and deep enough to fully secure a 1911 frame. Farm and Fleet has a 30,000 psi Wilton for around $100.00. I originally thought it wouldn't work .......

Thanks for all of your help. Chris

For now, I'm looking for a bench vise mainly for a 1911 build. I'd like something with a 5 or 6" jaws and deep enough to fully secure a 1911 frame. Farm and Fleet has a 30,000 psi Wilton for around $100.00. I originally thought it wouldn't work .......

Thanks for all of your help. Chris

For a 5 or 6" vise, Wiltons are good. The Parrot's (available at Woodcraft, among others) are a great lower-cost alternative to the Brownells multivise. I won a real mutivise long ago, and I love it, but the Parott's come very close. Btw, for anybody that haven't used one, why they rock is they upper part with the jaws swivels freely (and can even be put on the 'stand' in other orientations), but locks down hard when you tighten the vise. You could build a 1911 with just that, but if you plan to whang on things for that ultimate "hard fit" ;), you'll want a beefier vise.