Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2007 Area 7 - Vermont in July

Stages are up and look fun and varied.

Couple -o- Questions....

I have heard the chrono is kinda "chilly" meaning your ammo shoots lower than other ranges. Any confirmation of this?

Is Burlington the place to fly into? How far is it from the range? By the map I guess around 45-60 min.

Is the "HOTEL" link on the website the match hotel and how do we get a "match rate" if there is one?

Thanks!! :goof:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stages are up and look fun and varied.

Couple -o- Questions....

I have heard the chrono is kinda "chilly" meaning your ammo shoots lower than other ranges. Any confirmation of this?

Is Burlington the place to fly into? How far is it from the range? By the map I guess around 45-60 min.

Is the "HOTEL" link on the website the match hotel and how do we get a "match rate" if there is one?

The mountain air is cool in the morning and people who cut it close have been known to go minor there.

There is a small private airport about 15 minutes away our friend flies into.

Yep! Commodores inn. nice clean place. Be sure to ask for the match rate.

Edited by IPSCDRL

The small airport the DRL refers to is Stowe, however, it's really small - we're talking about a staff of one on duty and no commercial flight service.

The Commodore inn is well regarded, as is the Sunset Motor Lodge. There is also the Plaza, but I am not familiar with it. The Sunset is actually a lot closer to the range than the match hotel but is sufficiently in demand that they offered no special deal to the match so it's not the "match hotel." The Commodore has wireless internet, whereas the Sunset has telephones.

I actually chronoed a hotter PF there than at home, and I chrono with the same CED in a coffin at home. It was really warm when my squad chronoed. I was higher than normal, as was a friend, and another buddy minored. I think it is a typical varying sensativity temperature issue.

Edited by GTOSHootr

Burlington is the nearest "real" airport. It's about 45-50 min. from Morrisville. As international airports go, it's still pretty tiny, which means it's usually a pretty low-stress experience-- not too crowded, easy to find your way around, etc.; but the flights are limited. Next best choice would be Manchester, NH, which often has cheaper flights, but that's about 3 hrs. away.

So far over the course of six years I've always chrono'd about where I usually do... I'd expect it to be about normal with the whimsical standard deviation every chrono seems to allow.

Btw... the extraterrestrials exterminated last year have been kept in a vault in an undisclosed location, and rumor has it that a similar creature may appear on an autopsy table in the stage "Men in Black." :)

Btw... the extraterrestrials exterminated last year have been kept in a vault in an undisclosed location, and rumor has it that a similar creature may appear on an autopsy table in the stage "Men in Black." :)

Great! A comeback for the little green men :D

It seems every year I have to go to the chrono to fire/ weigh the last round. Their chrono always seems slow verses the ones at the nationals and area 7 in N.Y. last year. I have added a little margin this year to help with my blood pressure.

Team HK will be there shooting in the Limited 10 division. Anyone want to join us?

I am shooting Friday. Might see you guys around. ANy free gear (cool tech wear shirts) :surprise: you can spare would be appreciated. Steve D is on my squad and is shooting an HK Expert .40 in L10. I am shooting a USP stainless in 9mm with a match trigger in production.

Edited by Mo Hepworth

one day to go and WAY too much cofee this morning :goof:

In preparation for this match I even did some "rain training" yesterday.

THAT can't hurt given past year's experience. Good luck to all of you and have fun. Wish I was going to be there.

Michael.

Just for posterity, I have chrono'd twice, through two chrono's and on two seperate days, and both times come up with 170.5-171.5 for ten shot strings. Lowest of each string still made 165+.

HELP!!! I asked for match rate and they are trying to charge me over $200 for the two nights.

What's the deal? Somebody pm me a better, cheaper place to stay.

HELP!!! I asked for match rate and they are trying to charge me over $200 for the two nights.

I'm paying $100 for 1 night on Friday at the Commodores Inn.

Ammo loaded hot for the "VT fudge factor", cronoed this morning. Gear in the car, ready to head out in the morning for a nice leisurely drive through the Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont country side.

See you all Saturday, I'll be the one who looks like a displaced O-line football player with a hat cam video system.

See you all Saturday, I'll be the one who looks like a displaced O-line football player with a hat cam video system.

Please be sure to let us know when/where the video is ready for viewing. :cheers:

There aren't any <_< It's Vermont in the summer in a tourist area, everything is $100 a night.

There aren't any <_< It's Vermont in the summer in a tourist area, everything is $100 a night.

Try the PLAZA

alright, been there, done that and am back home in Nova Scotia. This was my first trip to the Aware but probably not the last. Yes the chrono is chilly. My pulled bullet was a little light and when the first chrono shot was just on the line for the correct weight I started to sweat. Made it by one PF but the velocities were about 25 fps slower than I normally get. One other guy in my squad did go minor, the rest made it but several, not by much.

Stages were fun, lots of imagination and sweat in their setup. Pretty smooth day despite a few rain showers and haveing to stop and chase foxes off the range so they wouldn't accidentally get shot.

Only one vendor on friday tho, yaa Caspian, but not of much use to a production guy. A delay in tent delivery and the moisture meant no computer station to check scores, so hopefully there are no mistakes with my scores.

The chicken (potato) cannon was cool. It was getting a bit of attention after the shooting was over, looks like a great toy.

kudos to the Area 7. Aware gang, a great match.

The chicken (potato) cannon was cool. It was getting a bit of attention after the shooting was over, looks like a great toy.

kudos to the Area 7. Aware gang, a great match.

Oh, come on! You can't tease us like that. Chicken Cannon? :huh:

Explanation please.

One of the stages was called revenge of the chickens. The prop was a "chicken cannon". which was a compressed air potato cannon run by compressor. The stage briefing included the history of the chicken cannon which was/is? used to check airplane windsheild safety and the story of the brits who used it to check the windows of high speed trains but forgot to thaw the chicken first. The stage required you to fire the cannon before drawing and engaging the targets.

I expect that pictures of the stages will be up on their website pretty soon.

The cannon had a fair range too, I think the potatos were landing in the woods someplace.

One of the stages was called revenge of the chickens. The prop was a "chicken cannon". which was a compressed air potato cannon run by compressor. The stage briefing included the history of the chicken cannon which was/is? used to check airplane windsheild safety and the story of the brits who used it to check the windows of high speed trains but forgot to thaw the chicken first. The stage required you to fire the cannon before drawing and engaging the targets.

I expect that pictures of the stages will be up on their website pretty soon.

The cannon had a fair range too, I think the potatos were landing in the woods someplace.

During one of the demo shots of the potato cannon, it actually hit one of the 100 yard bullseye targets up on the back berm of the range...

Saturday's competition is over, and preliminary results for the match so far are up on the USPSA web site. I believe that as the match stands right now, Travis Tomasie is leading Chris Tilley in Limited, Dave Olhasso is winning L-10 by about 5% over Larry Houk, and Ernest Langdon is in the lead in Production (but Sevigny is shooting tomorrow). I'm not sure about Open, though I expect whoever is leading right now may end up second to JJ Racaza, who hasn't shot yet. We had a splendid day for shooting today, warm and sunny, with similar weather expected tomorrow. Many thanks to all the competitors, and the workers from other clubs, who showed up to enjoy the match. At this point I'm almost too tired to type, but after the weeks of work, seeing so many shooters having a great time makes it all worthwhile.

Not too bad. I am in 14th overall in production, but that will change tommorrow. Tanked bigfoot stage. <_<

Did good on stage 9, even after going into slide lock twice. :cheers: God I'm fat. Gotta learn to run I guess.

Here is stage # 1 Elvis lives!

Stage # 7

ouch penalty target and 10 steel. I guess these were not disappearing targets.

Edited by Mo Hepworth