Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kiss and Squibs

So I just got my KISS bullet feeder, set it up and was amazed at how well it worked. I cranked out about a thousand rounds in record time and thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Then I shot a match on Sunday and had three squibs. I've never had a squib before and I've used my 650 with and without the powder check system. I also had one round that the primer was not set deep enough so I could understand one squib. The only thing that really changed was the rate at which I was cranking the handle. Could something else be wrong or was I just going too fast and not cycling the handle all the way? Does anyone have any ideas on how to devise a powder check system for use on a 650 with the KISS bullet feeder?

It sure sounds like you were going too fast and not getting the handle fully cycled.

Reloading, just like shooting...smooth is fast. Make sure to feel the handle hit the stops (full cycle) in each direction.

I have had my KISS for a while now and have given up on breaking world reloading speed records. While it is fun to load 200 rounds of ammo in 5 minutes, on the morning of the match, it leads to less than desireable reloading practices. I usually am very observant of everything that goes on in the reloading process and have not had a single squib in over 15 years of reloading. A few weeks ago I was loading some last minute ammo and did not realize that some trash had jammed the primer tube and I loaded about 80 rounds with NO primer. I would normally have picked up on something like that right away but the speed takes over and we tend to get sloppy. I have to admit that I have made more bad ammo (very quickly I might add) with the KISS than I ever did before getting one. None of this is the fault of the KISS and I have to take full responsiblity for paying more attention to going fast and not enough on the quality of the product I was producing.

A few weeks ago I was loading some last minute ammo and did not realize that some trash had jammed the primer tube and I loaded about 80 rounds with NO primer.

Been there, done that!

The KISS can lull you into this desire for SPEED...

I have to slow way down loading major 9 as I get powder spillage all over the place (and minor PF) if I start cranking to fast..

No squibs.. knock on wood.

I've found that a cadence of 1 rd every 2 seconds (1800rds/hr) is a good go.

That's on my 1050 Super with KISS.

Wow, I don't think I could afford to feed a machine at that rate.

Once it's loaded you don't have to worry about ammo for a while.

Was your powder return rod hooked up? I forgot to do that when I first got my KISS installed and made 3 squibs in 200 rounds. After noticing and fixing that, it's had no trouble since.

Was your powder return rod hooked up? I forgot to do that when I first got my KISS installed and made 3 squibs in 200 rounds. After noticing and fixing that, it's had no trouble since.

Yes the powder return rod was hooked up. I guess I'll just have to slow down. Any thoughts on a powder check system with the KISS installed?

Yes the powder return rod was hooked up. I guess I'll just have to slow down. Any thoughts on a powder check system with the KISS installed?

On a 650, you can use a powder check along with the KISS system. But since there are only 5 stations on the toolhead, you will have to use a combination seating+crimping die in the last station. The bullet dropper will go into the station where your current seating die was located, and the powder check in the station just following the power drop. I believe that RCBS makes a decent seating/crimping die.

Personally, I look into each case just before the bullet is placed in position. Works for me.

I have the Kiss setup on my Super 1050. To view the powder in the case at the bullet drop point-I have mounted a bike mirror on the case feeder support. The mirror is fully adjustable and provides a great view of whats in the case. I go slow, smooth and steady-fighting the urge to make the Kiss unit sing. It works for me.