Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited gun

What you think of the following options?

I'm looking, but I need to know a lot more before I spend money.

They are all priced similarly...

*Brazos Custom SC Series Limited

*Bedell Custom Lightning - looks good

*SVI Sight Tracker - they look so good (don't laugh, a gun needs to look nice too in my book) probably the most expensive option, but reading some older post and there's one on 1911forum.com I have a chance that it won't run, maybe not even after the second time back to the factory....

* Benny Hill Fat Free 6 inch - I hear noting but good of them, and Benny's trigger job supposed to be incredible. I wish they would look better.

*STI Edge- the cheapest option, but the others are in trowing distance... I might get a gun what runs, might not. Probably needs an action work to begin with...

Let me hear what you guys think, any opinions advice appreciated.

Edited by TheHun

I have a SightTracker as my limited pistol. It has worked very well since I got it. My only problem was the mags needed a little attention to work 100%. I have the other Texas gun and I would recommend the SVI.

If you are serious about this sport then spend the money on a costum built gun. You can get everything you want on it, set to your liking. As around at the range and see what others are shooting. Ask if you may try them and see what you like. You might want to buy a used pistol first, shoot it for a while and them have one built. You will save on start up cost on the pistol. All other items will cost the same. You might even be able to resell your start up gun and recover most of your investment. It will give you a change to evaluate differant options.

My 2 cents worth.

I have a Bedell Lightning and its an incredible gun that runs 100% as long as I dont put a shock buff in it :unsure: . I forgot that I had tried one in it and sent my wife to the Indiana match with a gun that didnt run 100% because of that. He builds the gun with a recoil master and the gun ran flawless. I threw in a tungeston rod, 12 lb. spring and a shock buff and oops...

Anyways, his trigger, fit and finish, reliability, attention to detail and customer service is top notch.

My other choice would have been Brazos.

of the guns you mentioned, I cant see you going wrong, Benny has a strong following too.

Five of us are shooting Brazos and couldn't be more satisfied. The last of the group took awhile to make a dicision but his Brazo is due in the next few weeks. I have seen some issues with the SightTracker.

I have several of the guns you mention so I will add my reply to your question.

Look at my avatar and you will see my limited gun.

It is an SVI that I bought in Sept '04.

I also own a Brazos open gun (which I really like) and an Edge in 45.

The SVI gun has a great look and feel.

I really like the Scheumann Ultimatch barrel.

It has a gold colored titanium nitride coating that's really slick and easy to clean.

The accuracy is phenomenal off the bench.

It ran flawlessly through three years of hard service until it developed a crack in the breechface.

SVI repaired it at no charge.

I highly recommend it.

You can't go wrong with Brazos.

My open gun is nothing short of art work.

Bob stands behind his work as well as anyone in the business.

The Edge is a decent firearm but had some accuracy and reliability issues when new.

The reliability problems were traced back the magazines not the gun.

The accuracy problem was solved by STI who put a new barrel in the gun at no cost to me.

It is a nice gun but expect to spent several hundred dollars on upgrades before you will be happy with it.

All the guns you mention are high quality well built shooting machines.

Any of them would probably give you excellent service.

It really comes down to which one appeals to you the most.

Edited by 38superman

Find someone that has put a couple hundred rounds through a 6" gun that is still shooting a 5" gun and you will have your answer.

Benny might not put bells on top of whistles, spinning rims, or neon lights on his guns but they DO look good, they are the standard for reliability, and they are accurate. They are also probably the second least expensive on your list, they are also probably the second fastest delivery time. Benny represents the best value in blasters when you consider the quality, lead time and price, and he is making a better mousetrap in the 6" guns. My opinion anyway.

Edited by HSMITH

Interesting that TGO just used a 6"'er to once again blow the field away at the L-10 nationals.

I would shoot as many different configurations as possible before making a decision. Buying a used gun in the interim is also a good idea, as after you shoot for a year or so, your tastes might, mine did, change as to what you want.

WHEN you KNOW what you want, get a custom!!!

I've shot the 6" guns and the site trackers and I am a normal, reg'lar ole 5" kinda guy (no dirty jokes please). Hell, I even shoot a shot DC and half the time a bushing barrel. To each their own I guess, it's why Baskin Robbins makes more than one flavor.

That being said all the options you offer should end up with a workable gun. I don't have a dog in this fight, I have owned or shot extensively a gun of each description.

My $.02

Stock STI: Cheapest, least sexy, but with some tweaks, maybe some sexy machine work and a re-plate down the road, a very workable option. They will also quote you a price and delivery time that actually mean something, hell often you can call them up and get one like right now. Call them up with a question and they will hunt you down with the answer.

Stock SV: Sexy, but what a pain. They have always built the prettier of the two, but their business model, customer service, attention to detail and QC have left me scratching my head. Quotes on price and delivery time mean nothing. I know some folks on here have "an in" and therefore a much better experience than the 3-4 I've had. It just always seemed like my gun or business just wasn't that important to them.

Benny: They run, he has the sexy name in 6" guns and he hits his delivery times at an affordable price point for a frame up gun. If he'll do some sexy machine work, and you want a 6", why not?

Brazos: Very consistent quality, sort of a custom built package gun in my experience. Longer lead times, more money.

Bedell: Still probably the best bang for the buck all around out there. He hits his delivery times, consults with you on details, pays great attention to detail and delivers a great looking, great running racin' machine.

Edited by dirtypool40

Thanks Guys, now I know for sure, what I already knew.

I think it will be either a Spitfire, Brazos or Benny's Fat Free.

I wish I could test drive them, like cars in a dealership-life would be much easier.... :rolleyes:

I have two SV Sight Trackers. Never had a problem with either one of them. Ran 100% from day one. You are right they are very nice looking guns. Derrick at Millineum Custom also builds a Sight Tracker style gun.

Edited by Jaxshooter

If I was going to buy another Limited gun right now it would be a toss up between a Millenium Custom gun and Benny's 6".

I took a good long look at some Millenium guns at the Georgia Match and they definately have some very cool blasters for sale.

The 6" gun really appeals to me because of the longer sight radius.

If I didn't already have a 5" gun, it would be Millenium.

Since I already have an Svi I think I would try the 6 incher just to see what I could do with it.

T

Edited by 38superman