Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting P-14 to P16 ???

jrguar

No, but I'm really thinking about it though.

What mags are you gonna use?  I wonder if you can make the 45 mags work....

I was thinking about getting a Para P16 slide (since it's made by Para, it'll probably fit), then installing a Kart "easy-fit" 40SW barrel to it.  Then buying the ejector, extractor, firing pin seperately.

I'm looking at about $500.

P-14 mags can go to 18+1.  

P-16 mags do 21+1.  

$500 for the conversion using Para parts?  How much more to get the whole P-16?

Changing the caliber is illegal in limited division.  It is unlikely they will ever detect it.

Only difference in the bottom end is the ejector.  Its an easy conversion.

I would say that converting from 45 to 40 would not be worth it. I would sell the 45 and buy a 40.

To convert you need. New slide, barrel and all attachments to slide, plus as many new mags as you own in 45. They cannot be converted and still work PROPERLY.

Buy a new gun I am sure thats the way to go.

(Edited by gm iprod at 6:03 pm on Sep. 14, 2002)

"..Changing the caliber is illegal in limited division.  It is unlikely they will ever detect it.."

Very good point Rich.  

A new gun would be the way to go.  It's just that I would never buy another Para.  I can, however, see "improving" the existing Para to better compete with the 40 cal crowd.  But if we remember what Rich wrote, it pretty much kills the whole idea

$505 for a P-16?  That's about what they're worth

"$505 for a P-16?  That's about what they're worth."

Ouch!!!

I have been competing in a league for the last three years with a slightly modified P-14. Only failures have been my stupid ammo tricks. Other guys in the club are running P-16's and not having any problems. 6 of the top 8 shooters in my league shoot Para's.

They aren't the prettiest guns, but they run like scalded cats!

YMMV...

my team mate gary did the P-14 to P-16 conversion and it isn't as easy as you think,

he got all the parts and put them together but the gun wouldn't run right, he spent another $200 on labour to get everything as good as it was as a P-14  with gun parts, mags, and labour he could have bought the whole P-16 new.

and since we are in the peoples republic of kanada we only have 10 round pistol mags

parsonm1, my dislike for Para stems from problems I had with my P14Limited and the reluctance of ParaOrdnance to professionally acknowledge their substandard workmanship.  I have zero respect for the "gunsmiths" located in hopbottom, PA.

It took three UPS shippments to PA before I got the gun back in adequate mechanical condition.  Only after Ted Szabo requested to see the gun did the gun get fixed.  But here's the good part, only after the smiths fixed it did they then send it to Szabo.  Of course they claimed that it was in "customer recieved" condition.  

As far as limited .45s go, I think the Para is competitive for a bushing gun since with Bevin's mag pads, you can start with 18, sometimes 19 rounds in the gun. I disagree w/ GMinProd's statement that mags cannot be converted from .45 to .40 reliably. Bevin Gramms can do conversion from .45 to .40 and make them work just fine.

Agree that w/ low prices of used Paras, its probably easier to just sell your para and buy a S_I limited .40 like Dawson's naked gun for about $1400. Sell used Para mags for top $$$ on E-bay and buy cheap S_I prebans over on uspsa.com.

My $.02

I converted a stock P-14 to a P-16 Limited out of necessity beacuse at the time the Limited was not on the CA approved list.  In the long run it was cheaper than buying the P-16 Limited and adding all of the aftermarket parts I wanted on my gun.

Used P-14 $500 - included DOJ fee

P-16 slide w/adjustable sights $260.00

Dawson .40 bull barrel $145 on sale

Tungsten Guide Rod $50

STI fire control $75

Ed Brown safeties $70

Dawson Plated Brass magwell $40 (on sale)

Steel mainspring housing $25

Grip safety - $35

Total $1200

Not cheap but well below the cost of a STI CA Edge at $1785 plus taxes and fees.  

TMC - good post! You seem to have come very close to matching the CALIFORNIA sti Edge (if you can get one!)for less money with the added benefit of a few extra rounds. Other than the heavy dustcover and overly heavy slide, your para has it all (plus the tri-glide - nice touch).  Good work. I may be an S_I shooter, but I appreciate TMC's creativity in accomplishing the task. DVC.

Capacity issues.

So let's say 18+1, that still insn't enough for the truck-loads of 20 & 21rd stages recently.  Stage designers are making lots'o 40cal Limited gun friendly stages because that's the hot ticket.

I'm thinking of one stage in particular at LimNats that was 20rds exactly.  The top dogs were running it in around 7.75 sec.  Anyone shooting a high-cap 45 didn't stand a chance....

OK new rule (just because I might start shooting a 45).

All stages must be "General Equipment Friendly".  No stage shall have a required round count of 20 or 21.  19 is ok, 22 is ok but not 20 or 21! :)  That'll take the capacity edge away from the 40 short'n weak crowd.  They'll start to fear hardball again.

The thing about the single-stack .45 versus high cap .40 versus high cap .45 - and I wish I could remember who said this to me originally - is that with a single-stack .45 you know you're going have to reload every time you move, so you just do it automatically; you don't get into trouble doing that. The high cap .40 generally has enough ammo to get you out of anything you get into. The high cap .45 OTOH has just enough ammo to get you into trouble....but not enough to get you out.

Hey Guys,

I appreciate all the great input....even what Chris said had a little value.....;) Who knows maybe I wil just go over to the dark side........FWIW I have had one problem with a brand new P-14..my local smith looked at the gun and promptly contacted Para on my behalf...they took care of the problem (which involved a new barrel ) in about 10 days...from first contact to repaired firearm....;)

Yeah, not surprised to hear of such a problem and in general , Para honors their warranty even outside of its terms - customer service if fairly good.  They also did us poor souls in the US a favor in shipping pre-bans long after the manufacture ban went into effect here. Good show Canuks!

I have said some nice things about Para here on BE but truth be told, their guns do seem to suffer an unusually high number of fractures; cracked barrels, cracked frames, and cracked slides being the most prominent parts to crack from the numerous Para (and former Para) shooters I encounter.

The crack-free use of the Para design by firms like Enterprise arms leads me to think Para has had problems in the past with either their steel or their heat treating methods; the design appears to be just fine. Anyone else hear of a cracked part on a Para?

No problems here.  I have 3 steel guns and one old alum. kit frame gun.  The steel guns are a .45, .40 and my 38 Super open gun.  The 40 and 45 use Para slides the open is a Caspian.  No cracks in the open gun after 20,000 plus rounds of 175 fp ammo.  The 40 has only about 5,000 rounds now but seems fine.

Knock on wood....

I Have 2 P-14's 1 is very used I pruchased 2nd hand 125,000 + rounds thru it and no problems...

My other P-14, the one Para Originally replaced the barrel on for me has probably close to 55-60,000 rounds thru it....

PF running from 180 to about 169...aside from the occasional worn shock buff it looks & runs great...in fact most of the original finish is still on the rail.....

Maybe I just got a good one

late to the party, but:

That's exactly what I did with my two P14-45s. It cost me (all inclusive) $1k each to convert. You need new mags (can't get the 45 mags to work w/ 40) or mag bodies. That may appear to be expensive, but I had a reason: I have a german firearms license for both guns, coupled to the serial no. Changing frames is a *major* legal endeavor, while I can do with my existing frames what I want. If I had not wanted the licenses to remain valid, I would have opted for two new complete guns.

--Detlef

• 2 months later...

i ran my Para 9x23 open gun from oct 1999 to dec 2002. i lost track of the # of rounds. no cracks or  failures.  the P14 is practically new, less than 10k rounds. still, no cracks though. i will let you know how they stand up when i get back to competition in january 2003

Sharon Anne USPSA L-2387