Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idea for Rain Proof Targets

Overkill

I was passing by the cuttoff bin at Home Depot the other day and had an idea for rain proof targets.

What if you picked up some of the cheep plywood cuttoffs available there. Cut out a simplified and slightly undersized version of the paper target and simply glued the paper target to the plywood. You could prepare a couple dozen of these cut outs to have on hand when it rains. Should solve the floppy target problem.

There was an old thread where someone coated targets with clear urethane and they do not curl and pasters stick to the urethane. That sounds like a reasonably simple thing to do with a spray rig.

Is there really a big need for waterproof targets? What would a club be willing to pay over a cardboard target? I have an idea but dont think it will really sell in volume so I didnt pursue it. My idea would be about twice the cost of the cardboard target. Some others sprayed cardboard targets down with something but I dont thank that took off. I Thought about wax covered cardboard like they make fresh chicken boxes out of but the pasters wouldnt stick.

I even played with waterproof pasters. In fact our targets are made with a water resistant glue in the cardboard. Havent done any testing with them but didnt think it could hurt.

As much of a pain it is to deal with bags I just dont think waterproof is something the market will support.

I agree that the market support would be difficult, especially if it was only marketed only as something to have on hand for a rainy day. You'd need the potential to make it the only target and paster combination a club would use. Production volumes would then help the per target cost. But even with that, if it's not "close" to the normal target and paster costs, it probably wouldn't fly. Sure do hate those bags though.

There is still the problem of pasters falling off.

[sarcasm on]

Couldn't we just build little rain proof shelters out of those plywood scraps on all bays & all the clubs I / You shoot at ?

[/sarcasm off]

I'm thinking the tape would stick a lot better if you could press it on there without having your thumb go through the cardboard.

At the MS classic a couple of years ago, we shot almost every stage in the rain. One of the members, knowing it was going to rain, sprayed the targets with some type of waterproofing (Maybe John Heiter will see this thread and let us know what it was) AND built the shelters over each target out of cheap plywood. It rained terribly that match (the year of the monsoons) but the pasters stuck and we didn't have to bag the targets.

Chuck, I'm like you, I don't think there is a commercial market for anything like this, but at a big match it is something you could do in advance to help.

FWIW

dj

How about we use the plywood to build little stands for umbrellas to be held above each of the targets. We could pretend that a bunch of Mary Poppins characters went postal. :devil::lol:

http://www.overstock.com/Bulk-Apparel/Rain....html?cid=82124

There's a lot of 60 umbrellas for $125. Put a little length of pvc pipe holder on the back of the target stick and you're in business.

As dajarrel mentioned, the Mississippi Classic a couple of years ago was shot in a monsoon. We did two things basically overnight once we learned it might/was going to rain: (1) We sprayed the taget with normal urethene (I think) that we got at HD/Lowe's/etc --one club member has a commercial prayer so we could do targets very quickly. (2) We took scaps of wood and made "hats" for the targets. The hat was screwed/nailed /stapled to the target stand. I think the "hat" was veneer scaps of something cheaper and lighter than plywood.

I think we sprayed some targets before this year's match just in case. We plan to use them in a local match.

Added at 5:29 PM

From John Heiter's post in the rules section. -- There is a thread about coating targets.

"We've done it using clear automotive laquer paint. We actually keep a set of "laquered" targets in our range building now just in case we have a storm come through during a major match. Keeps us from having to worry about bagging targets."

Edited by BismarckC