Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

29-oz home trigger job

eric nielsen

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...in for a penny, in for a pound.

I just ordered the LW connector, a few 6# trigger springs, and FINALLY picked up a set of marine spring cups. I am already using Charlie's drop in kit, so that saved me a few bucks.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this new stuff will do!

OK, here is the simple way to limit forward trigger travel and increase tension on the trigger return spring without drilling. Place trigger bar is vise as shown. Use a propane torch to heat the bend in the tab that the spring hooks to. Heat to a dull red and bend tab forward with a screw driver. The tab will be at about 90 degrees rather than angled to the rear. You will have to play with it a little to avoid deactivating the striker safety.

You do not need to reheat the tab to make adjustments.

post-1058-1183028173.jpg

BTW, there is no need for heavy trigger springs. You can get a 1 lb. pull if desired using Glock parts. Well I do cheat a little and use a reduced striker spring for that. I like 1 1/4 lbs. for my guns. I use an 8 lb. connector to get a sub 3 lb. 1911 pull. There is no need for a trigger stop either. One can stop the reward motion of the trigger without them. The trigger can be set to release at different points also. Those with large hands like the trigger to release early. Folks with smaller hands like the trigger to release at the end of the travel.

That's enough Trigger 101 today.

Edited by Joe D

BTW, there is no need for heavy trigger springs. You can get a 1 lb. pull if desired using Glock parts. Well I do cheat a little and use a reduced striker spring for that. I like 1 1/4 lbs. for my guns. I use an 8 lb. connector to get a sub 3 lb. 1911 pull. There is no need for a trigger stop either. One can stop the reward motion of the trigger without them. The trigger can be set to release at different points also. Those with large hands like the trigger to release early. Folks with smaller hands like the trigger to release at the end of the travel.

That's enough Trigger 101 today.

Thank you.

You guys rock !

Joe D ,

That may indeed be enough trigger 101 for today , please feel free to continue whenever you feel like it .

This is the type of info many of us are looking for !

Thanks !

Eric,

Thank you for the great tips and pics !

Please feel free to elaborate on the finer points of triggerism .

No detail is too small .

Thanks again !

Travis F.

Thanks Joe.

I was already thinking that any setup that lets you avoid the Heavy trigger springs would be good for reliability - those things break pretty often.

At 12 bucks a pop I might try a few like yours. Have you ever done a re-drill combined with some bending of the tab? Guessing you don't need to go 90deg but somewhere in between?

Eric,

Did you need to alter the trigger safety notch after the trigger bar was drilled and cut? After having experimented on some I

found this to be the only hang up. My first attempt was to radical an angle (bend) and defeated the trigger safety. It felt like

the altered tab actually came into slight contact with the "front" inside of the trigger mech housing.

As an aside for those interested, the Lighting Strike steel striker (reduced mass) plus an shortened OEM striker spring along

with the LWD 3.5 connector and marine spring cups make for a fine Glock trigger. YMMV :)

Jim

This time I just took a tiny bit out of the slot in the frame, and now the safety-trigger pops out no matter what.

This is not legal for Production, so if you have a Prod gun that won't reset the safety-trigger, your best option is usually switch back to the standard glock trigger-spring: it doesn't pull back as hard. And, it doesn't break as often.

Eric, I tried the drilling a second hole, but got better results bending the tab. You kill two birds with one stone bending the tab. Back when I was drilling a hole I found it easier to just cut a slot above the original hole rather than drilling another one.

It is not exactly 90 degrees. There is a dimension that I set it to. I measure from the end of the nose to the end of the tab.

BTW, there is no need for heavy trigger springs. You can get a 1 lb. pull if desired using Glock parts. Well I do cheat a little and use a reduced striker spring for that.

And, I like the feel of doing it the inverse. I'd rather have a stock striker spring and a heavier trigger return spring. I like the feel of the reset better, and I've got a full power spring powering the striker.

I was already thinking that any setup that lets you avoid the Heavy trigger springs would be good for reliability - those things break pretty often.

I'll disagree with that. It's one certain brand that breaks more often than others. (Why would a heavier spring break more easily? If built right, it sholdn't. It is stronger.)

BTW, there is no need for heavy trigger springs. You can get a 1 lb. pull if desired using Glock parts. Well I do cheat a little and use a reduced striker spring for that.

And, I like the feel of doing it the inverse. I'd rather have a stock striker spring and a heavier trigger return spring. I like the feel of the reset better, and I've got a full power spring powering the striker.

I'll disagree with that. It's one certain brand that breaks more often than others. (Why would a heavier spring break more easily? If built right, it sholdn't. It is stronger.)

What brand trigger spring do you like?

I've always used the Glockmeister. I think the other common brand is a piece of total crap (I am about out of spares...becuase of all the shooters that come up to me at matches asking for a replacement to the one that came in their 'drop in kit').

Glock. All others seems to break often. I have heard rare tales of a Glock trigger spring breaking, but have yet to see one break myself.

Edited by racerba

Glock. All others seems to break often. I have heard rare tales of a Glock trigger spring breaking, but have yet to see one break myself.

Glock doesnt make a extra power trigger spring do they? I thought those were only aftermarket (6lb spring)

Forgot to mention that I have posted bits of info on several websites that shows or tells how to do most of the modifications. I think Duck of Death has figured out about 75% of it.

Forgot to mention that I have posted bits of info on several websites that shows or tells how to do most of the modifications. I think Duck of Death has figured out about 75% of it.

Is this some trade secret or what? :ph34r::)

kicks out a wood pencil farther than any Glock trigger job i've had,

Just curious, when you do your pencil test....about how far does the pencil fly?

Wow, I'm asking a lot of questions in this thread....

I would not call it a trade secret. Just lessons learned the hard way. Not saying you are one, but there are those that are lazy in this world. They want someone else to do the work and experimenting then just give away all their knowledge.

My approach is like a trig teacher I had in high school. When students would get stumped he would give you just enough information to get you to the next step in the problem. You had to think and figure out things on your own. One kid asked him why he didn't just tell us the answer. His response was "If I did you would not learn anything".

If you want to learn how to do trigger jobs do as I did - buy a dozen trigger bars and crank up the drill press.

Flex removed my other post so let me clear up something. I was not advertising. I don't need the money. I was just pointing out there is a cost associated with knowledge.

I would not call it a trade secret. Just lessons learned the hard way. Not saying you are one, but there are those that are lazy in this world. They want someone else to do the work and experimenting then just give away all their knowledge.

My approach is like a trig teacher I had in high school. When students would get stumped he would give you just enough information to get you to the next step in the problem. You had to think and figure out things on your own. One kid asked him why he didn't just tell us the answer. His response was "If I did you would not learn anything".

If you want to learn how to do trigger jobs do as I did - buy a dozen trigger bars and crank up the drill press.

Flex removed my other post so let me clear up something. I was not advertising. I don't need the money. I was just pointing out there is a cost associated with knowledge.

I have been following your posts over the last 6 months. I think you have given us just enough information for me to think I may know what it will take to achieve the ultimate glock trigger and to fuel the desire to so. Thank you for the information you have shared.

I understand and respect your view here, but I am the complete opposite. Everything I figure out....I give up to whoever wants to know. I want all my friends/fellow competitors to have the opportunity to use the same equipment/modifications as me. I don't ever want it to be "Well....Eric beat us because he has this or that".

But I agree with the lazy part, and those that are lazy and never try to figure things out for them selves have a long road ahead of them.

Edited by Airic

I will have to disagree on this one. As range master and armorer at my department, I have personally seen and replaced dozens of stock glock trigger springs that have broken with some being replaced multiple times in the same pistol. I also just replaced my trigger spring (for the 3rd time) that broke on Monday. :surprise:

I thought maybe an armorer would see breakages like that. Judging by the jug of used 9x19 PD brass i've got, there's probably a lot of cop glocks with broken extractor tips out there too.

I posted it elsewhere but my trigger spring breaks go something like 12 Wolff heavy for every 4 Glockmeister heavy for every 1 Glock standard spring. They are under stretch tension all the time which makes them unusual for gun springs in general. And after a while, a lot of them break.

It's why i stopped considering either of my glocks as home-defense guns. [sorry]