Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Storms & damage!

GlockSpeed31

We had a severe thunderstorm last night with hail the size of marbles. I have never heard anything like this, it was so loud. I spent about a year in an Artillery unit and it wasn't as loud as last night. It was freaking out my 7 month pregnant wife & our 2 1/2 year old son. Went out this morning to survey the damage and spent about an hour on the steepest part of the roof replacing missing shingles. Had a window in the upstairs bonus room get shattered (gota go to Lowes for a new one). The side of our house on the aluminum trim underneath the roof looks like it was used for slingshot target practice by the entire Boy Scout battallion! :surprise: The swimming pool is full of leaves blowing from nearby trees, that will take all day to clean out.

But I can say this, the Good Lord protected us through this small fury and that is what I am thankful for. Atleast it isn't anything like Katrina and her victims.

Michael

Be thankful you don't live up north where this is a common occurance or 12" of snow in June. Or the 60-100 MPH winds that blow train cars off the tracks. The TV weather doesn't even talk about wind until the National Weather Service issues a high wind warning which is for winds above 60 MPH. The AVERAGE wind speed for Great Falls 14 MPH while Cody, Wyoming is 17 MPH. Yesterdays wind was 25 gusting to 35 and is a pretty normal occurance.

Don't move to Texas... :lol:

Glad nothing serious was damaged - hail plays hell on roofs... Windows, shingles, stuff like that... small potatoes, relatively speaking, as you say. Storms like that have a habit of dropping tornadoes and such, too, potentially, so... :)

Golf-ball-size hail makes one heck of a racket. Cool splashes in a swimming pool though-- it looks like it's taking machinegun fire. My poor car looked like a golf ball when it was all over..

Thank God You Are Okay.

I have been in 3 tornados and a little storm call Alicia... which blew over my home in Houston... and the after flood was the worst part.

Just keep your focus on what is REALLY VALUABLE.....which is----- that which can't be bought.

edited to add-----------I forgot to mention... even 1/4 inch hail is a real problem on a motorcycle... especially if you hit it at 70 mph or so.

Edited by MichiganShootist

When I was working in Elk City, OK (smack in the middle of Tornado Alley) I drove my buddy to look at a Ford Bronco that was for sale. At one point the owner proudly pointed out all the hail damage on the hood and roof. I guess from our puzzled looks he realized we didn't see that as a strong selling point.

He then went on to explain that all my friend had to do was wait for the next hailstorm, make a claim against the damage with his insurance company and pocket the "free" money. "That's what the man I bought it from did, and I've done it twice myself!"

:wacko:

I was driving home from a match in the same storm that hit Micheal's house last night. That marble size hail sounded like someone was dumping a load of gravel on my truck.

Glad it wasn't any worse than it was Micheal.

Been through a few tornado's don't like that stormy weather.

We "weathered" the same storm here in Alabama and for the past two days of my "vacation" I have been cleaning up debris and cutting up fallen, uprooted, trees. The biggest of which I have had to cut from both sides with a 20" bar chainsaw. It took my plate rack and threw it about 20' from where it was as well as moving around some more plates I had on the range. The weird thing is 50 to 75yds away the patio furniture wasn't moved, the kids trampoline wasn't moved, but it blew the screens off the windows. Even though I have complained about all the cleanup I know we were lucky. Thank God.

When I was on the roof replacing shingles from Katrina/Rita there was a couple from New Orleans in the living room. All they had was their cars and enough clothes for 3 days. Everything else was gone. Puts into perspective what is really important. A few shingles and a bit of cleanup is nothing compared to what they went though. This couple has since gotten married and has rebuilt their lives.

All things considered, I'm glad to hear that everything is okay.

FWIW, your roof is probably fine. It generally takes golfball size or bigger hail to damage a composition roof that is in fair or better condition. To put it into our terms, Mother Nature was trying to knock over a properly calibrated popper with sub-minor ammo ;) .

Mother Nature's fits are a PITA, but they pay my bills. :mellow: