Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which watches do jet pilots use?

I want to get me a new watch and I´d like to buy one which is used by jet pilots.

So, which watches do jet pilots use? Casio G-Shocks? Digital watches? Automatic?

I've got a mix of AF and Army pilots here, and I see a few Rolex, some Omega, one or two Breiling, and a lot of POS Casio :)

On a related topic, I was amused when I first started shooting with SEAL types years ago when I noticed that they no longer did the "Rolex/Randall" thing (or even Rolex/Emerson, despite all the hype from Ernie's fans). I asked, and was told that if you drop a $2,000 watch or a $400 knife over the side, you are sort of obligated to go in after it. If you drop a G-Shok or a crappy Chinese $2 knife-shaped object over the side, hell, get another.

:)

Alex

How about the Citizen Eco-Drive Skyhawk series. They got one for the Blue Angels.

It's solar and battery powered. Has GMT on a 24 hour dial. It also has a slide rule calculator for figuring out fuel usage and time/distance stuff. The digital side of the watch has world time programmed in by airport code. Runs about $400.

I want to get me a new watch and I´d like to buy one which is used by jet pilots.

So, which watches do jet pilots use? Casio G-Shocks? Digital watches? Automatic?

Get whatever you want. Any watch you buy is used by a jet pilot somewhere. :blink:

Helicopter pilots are a different bunch in more ways than I can count. But what I see on them are functional tools. Something with a stopwatch feature and easily read in a dark cockpit on night flights. Something that, if damaged or lost is no big deal and $150 can replace it. Something realatively light and slim. Anything over that is a status symbol.

The timekeeping devices in todays rotorcraft have pretty much put the big pilot watch into the pages of history.

I've got the Citizen Blue Angel watch.

It is really a very good watch. Got to iPilot.com and they've got a selection of Citizens. Breitling is a superb watch as well - but I couldn't justify spending the bank on that when the Citizen was as solid as it was.

J

Aside from the Seiko with the built-in E6B - which actually has a functional use - I've never seen a pilot (drugstore cowboys excluded) wearing a "pilot" watch.

If you want to spend $3000, go spend it on flight time. It will get you about 3/4 of the way to your private ticket these days. ;)

Mine does have an E6b - and honestly I use the damn thing in flight. It's so much easier than pulling the flight computer out of the knee board. A quick spin of the dial to get the calculation and done without straying from the instruments long at all.

The company I work for has a large group of pilots and a fairly large fleet of Lear 32's (and two 45's). Most of them have flight computer watches as well. Most have Seikos. None of us makes enough to buy a Breitling or a Rolex. Hadn't looked at the Tags - but probably won't now. I really have enjoyed my citizen and I really like where they are taking their ad campaign.

J

I no pilot. I SCUBA diver. I use Casio G-shock.

If I were (or is it was?) a pilot I'd use a Casio G-shock. Unless they're not set for Y3K (like my older one was for Y2K) one of those should last you all your flying career. They are much nicer now than the chunks of black rubber I use to buy. They are also expensive, up to almost $200! :o

Any automatic/quartz/mechanical analog watch with a chronograph and date complication should do nicely. I don't like digital watches because you can't tell time when the watch is in the chronograph mode. Quartz is nice because you don't have to reset the watch after the power reserve has worn out and the watch stops. There are a lot of "tool" watches out there. Sinn makes a chronograpn/date/GMT watch that's considered a tool watch. Sinn is in Germany.

Ken

Edited by Keninaz

What's always surprised me about pilots watches is how infrequently they include tritium hands and numerals.

Yeah, it's annoying, but the hazmat issues of dealing with tritium have gotten pretty expensive from what I understand. I'm always amazed that tritium sights haven't gotten way more expensive.

My favorite "pilot's watch" is the one on my arm right now. Technically it's a designed for special forces, pilots, you name it....unfortunately they added "tactical to it. Kobold Phantom Titanium Tactical...one of only 100 made. As a cool side note, it was the backup watch on the set of the first 24 episode when Keifer Sutherland was wearing one like it. PVD coating on the Ti is incredibly tough, light for it's size, automatic winding, chronograph with day and date. Does everything I need a watch to do...my wedding present from my wonderful wife!

Kobold Phantom Titanium Tactical...one of only 100 made. As a cool side note, it was the backup watch on the set of the first 24 episode when Keifer Sutherland was wearing one like it. PVD coating on the Ti is incredibly tough, light for it's size, automatic winding, chronograph with day and date. Does everything I need a watch to do...my wedding present from my wonderful wife!

Well, I was hoping the Kobold name would show up here!! :D Great products, unique watches, and good customer service. Also, I did not know the 24 background (now I'll have to go back and watch for it). B) You've got more than a wonderful wife if she bought you one for your wedding present!! Heck, I had to wait until I turned 50 before Deb took care of me!!! :lol::lol::lol:

How about the Citizen Eco-Drive Skyhawk series. They got one for the Blue Angels

I have one and am not a pilot and stopped being a pilot wanna-be many moons before I bought it. But I still use the E6B for other things.

I kill watches. A Casio or Timex will last me maybe six months to a year. We aren't talking battery failure...we are talking just flat out go haywire.

A few years ago I decided to try buying something a bit higher quality to see if it would last longer. My Citizen Sky-Hawk is closing in on 4 years and still going strong. It has a few scratches but it hasn't missed a lick. The ONLY thing I wish it had was a dial light. The luminous hands do go dark after awhile and it would be nice to see the digital stuff in the dark now and then.

I got the Citizen Blue Angel Navihawk approx seven years ago while at flight school in Pensacola NAS, FL. They had a good deal on them at the NX on base. It has run strong ever since. I've sent it back in once for cleaning and new battery. The E6B comes in handy as does the different time zones. FYI....those E6B bevels doen't like powder residue left behind when shooting. It was gummed up pretty bad.

Since then the wife has given me a Citizen Eco-drive Skyhawk for a birthday. All the same benefits of the Navihawk plus it's solar powered and looks a little sharper.

I use the navihawk as the everyday work/flight/deployment watch. The skyhawk is my good watch. The Air Force issue G-Shock is used when shooting or working out.

Well, I was hoping the Kobold name would show up here!! :D Great products, unique watches, and good customer service. Also, I did not know the 24 background (now I'll have to go back and watch for it). B) You've got more than a wonderful wife if she bought you one for your wedding present!! Heck, I had to wait until I turned 50 before Deb took care of me!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Well I do have an amazing wife, but I'll just say that the $ I spent on her wedding band and engagement ring was supposed to be either a new Corvette or used 911 so she didn't make out too bad either;)

I started talking to Michael Kobold a few years ago and he's a really neat guy. Very neat company too....hard to imagine but they promise to never make more than 2,500 watches in a year. My one problem is that I want another Kobold, but I wear my Phantom so much I wonder if it would be a waste to have lying around.

What did Deb get you?