Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

El Prez with a Revo

BigDave

Very cool to read this thread again after some time. Thanks for kicking it back up

One year ago I posted:

The last El Prez I tried was a little over seven seconds (7.10). Draw is somewhere in the 1.25 area. Reload under 2.5. My reloads are generally speaking between 1.95 and 2.50 seconds. If I screw one up really bad, it's 3.0 (at 10 meters or so). My draws are generally speaking between 0.95 and 1.35 seconds.

Fastest reload ever timed 1.91

Fastest draw ever timed 0.94

Fastest split ever timed 0.25

Björn

I did a 6.01 El Prez last week with terrible hits, and a 6.38 with good hits. My fastest reload went from 1.91 to 1.58 (1.9's are "easy" now) and fastest split from .25 to.20. Fastest draw went from .94 to .83.

It's fun to dig up old threads and see the progress you've made in only one year.

BTW, welcome to the boards Whizz. Nice to see a fellow revolvers shooter from Europe here.

Very, very good Spook !!!

If i don't remember bad, you make the reloads with the weak hand, (without change the revo-draw), ...... i have trained a lot of time to this reload style, .... and i find it is very fast, (with the right practice), but when i shoot in matches it is "natural" for me to change the hand, and do the "Miculek style" reload, ....... i am more smooth and fluid with this reloading style, in my mind i am afraid to try this new style, (in a match), because it is still not "natural" for me , .... now ...

P.S.

Now i have another new 625 in my bag ..... so my first don't feel lonely during the matches !!! B) .

The SDM sigths works very accurate for me, at the last Major math (24 April), 178 minimum rounds, i was shooting only 3 round more (and did only 2 Deltas).

hasta la vista !

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a lot guys.

Tightloop, I think that's my problem. I keep comparing myself to guys who shoot autoloaders. There are zero other revolvershooters at my club, so there's nobody else to compete with.

I know I should shoot my own matches and ignore the performance of others. But knowing I can compete with a lot of the auto guys in practice actually raises my comfort level on matches and helps me to shoot my own match by knowing that I'm fast enough. So all I need to do is get good hits. Of course, this whole mental strategy would probably fall apart if I were to shoot a match with Jerry Miculek in it ;)

Sensei, yes, I do the weak hand reload (keeping the gun in strong hand). I think it's a good thing to first work on your new reload a lot in practice to get it down. The two basic revolver reloads are pretty different, especially to subconsciously do them requires a lot of repetitions and mental work. I am thinking about incorporating the other way (Miculek style) into my system. I have been working on a new reload for "weak hand-reload-weak hand" situations :)

I keep comparing myself to guys who shoot autoloaders.

knowing I can compete with a lot of the auto guys in practice actually raises my comfort level on matches and helps me to shoot my own match by knowing that I'm fast enough.

Spook,

this method was already developed some ... 2'000 years ago:

ancient romans used to train for battle with swords and shields heavier than battle equipment to get confidence and agility of motion when fighting a real battle.

It worked for them, their empire lasted several century...

...good luck.

;)

Thanks for the welcoming Spook!

Your ability with the revo is pretty awesome.

I have the same type of competition as you, at our club. Noone else is shooting the wheelgun. The latest training matches I have placed somewhere in the middle. With about 50% to 60% of the semi-auto guys. There are both open and limited in a mix.

It is very nice with that kind of competition which really spurs one into improving and putting some stress to the pistol guys B)

• 10 months later...

I HAVEN'T TIMED FOR AN EL PREZ YET.

BECAUSE HERE IN OZ WE AREN'T ALLOWED .45'S

I HAD TO HAND MY 625 BACK TO THE GOVERNMENT. I NOW USE A .38 SUPER 627. I REGULARLY DRAW IN 1.3 - 1.4 AND RELOADS ARE CONSISTANTLY 2.00

WILL TIME IT IN THE NEXT WEEK OR SO AND LET YOU ALL KNOW.

Duane, he IS in Australia! Maybe the extra volume is for the distance. :P

Shot a personal best today with IDPA targets.

Revolver - naturally

8.16 seconds

HF of 6.3725

Roughly 65%

....begins to think 6 seconds is obtainable with dry fire practice.... <_<

QUOTE ( @ --)
Spook,

this method was already developed some ... 2'000 years ago:

ancient romans used to train for battle with swords and shields heavier than battle equipment to get confidence and agility of motion when fighting a real battle.

It worked for them, their empire lasted several century...

...good luck.

;)

Maaan, I'm picking up the wrist weights again for dry fire practice. :)

I did a 6.01 El Prez last week with terrible hits, and a 6.38 with good hits. My fastest reload went from 1.91 to 1.58 (1.9's are "easy" now) and fastest split from .25 to.20. Fastest draw went from .94 to .83.

It's fun to dig up old threads and see the progress you've made in only one year.

BTW, welcome to the boards Whizz. Nice to see a fellow revolvers shooter from Europe here.

Spook, somthing doesn't add up. I figured your slowest times in and they added up to 5.35 sec el-prez???

I use to practice the drill without bothering with the turn start, and have/had my par timer set at 6.00 sec. I can easily do them in the 5.5 - 5.9 range and my splits are usually .23 with 2.5 sec reloads. this practice was usually for shooting from target to target with the focus on speed.

for the last year my normal practive for both my 8-shot(627) and 6 shot (625) is the ICORE classifier CS-003 "bill drill to the third power" My fastest for that one with major loads in my 625 is a 8.85 and can do the normally under 9.00 sec. The 100% for that classifer was done by Vic Picket in 8.32 seconds. The 8.85 was done with 2.05 reloads.

• 1 month later...
Back to Jerry...

That was 6 shots, a reload and 6 shots in 2.99.

Time started from the first shot, not the buzzer.

The reload was about 1 sec flat

Too good to be true? Check it out here:

http://www.utahshooters.org/fastshooter.wmv

ok, so we add 1.0 turn and draw and Jerry is hitting a 4.0 EL PREZ....roughly.

Woof. :blink:

I've watched the man practice this routine at his range in LA ... His typical 6 shot group includes a LOT of Charlies, and frequently a delta or two. Additionally, the speed drill in the video is on ONE target at between 5 and 7 yards ...

Don't get me wrong ... The man is awsome, but the clip you see IS NOT an El Prez. Back in 2002, at the US Factory Gun Nationals, they included the El Prez as part of the match ... Here's the official revolver records for the top 10 wheel gunners:

1 RICHARD G BITOW 13 M Revolver 50 0 5.75 8.6957 60.0000 100.00%

2 jerry miculek 287 U Revolver 51 0 6.70 7.6119 52.5218 87.54%

3 patrick sweeney 138 U Revolver 58 0 9.06 6.4018 44.1722 73.62%

4 Larry Treen 213 C Revolver 52 0 8.54 6.0890 42.0139 70.02%

5 joe justice 167 C Revolver 49 0 8.83 5.5493 38.2900 63.82%

6 robert woolley 261 C Revolver 51 0 9.43 5.4083 37.3171 62.20%

7 rudolf franz waldinger 240 A Revolver 45 10 6.56 5.3354 36.8141 61.36%

8 tom Mainus 80 C Revolver 46 0 9.20 5.0000 34.4998 57.50%

Tie david j calmes 28 C Revolver 56 0 11.20 5.0000 34.4998 57.50%

10 martin clancy 190 C Revolver 53 0 10.79 4.9120 33.8926 56.49%

Sorry I can't get the columns to line up on the page, but I think you all know how to read the scores ... Granted, it could be done faster and more accurately ... But then these results are truly "On Demand" shooting!

Jerry had to have blown his reload. He can't slow down his shooting even when he tries (which happens to be his one Achilles heel.....)

Interesting to see he was still a "U" at the 2002 Nats.

Mike

Our Monthly club match is tomorrow (yes I know it is Mothers day) we may use this one, being there will not be many folks shooting. and it is quick to set up and tear down.

If we shoot it I'll post my run...... good or bad. :huh:

HOP

• 2 months later...

I set this up tonight to do a few practice runs.....my best run was a 10.46 with 9-A's and 3-C's.....that was with a 1.93 to 1st shot and a 3.59 reload.....gotta work on the reloads! :(

that run would be good for a 56.0564% with a 5.4493hf

If I try to go any faster everything turns to shit real quick.

In actual major matches earlier this summer, Dan Carden posted an El Prez in the low 6s, and I put one in the high 6s (different matches). Both with lousy hits, by the way, but by God we were on the pace! :) Pat Sweeney had one right at 7 seconds with better (but not great) hits at the OH Sectional.

I'd say a difficult but realistic target for A and M shooters practicing the El Prez with a wheelie is 6 flat with good hits.

Mike

In actual major matches earlier this summer, Dan Carden posted an El Prez in the low 6s, and I put one in the high 6s (different matches).  Both with lousy hits, by the way, but by God we were on the pace!  :)  Pat Sweeney had one right at 7 seconds with better (but not great) hits at the OH Sectional. 

I'd say a difficult but realistic target for A and M shooters practicing the El Prez with a wheelie is 6 flat with good hits. 

Mike

Eventually I will get there, I turned a 15.60 with 53pts and a miss at the Ohio Match...LOL.....I was having to hold on the left edge of paper up there to get an A hit :o