Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal 150's

Tom E

I'm using early 90's WLP primers (white box) in my 625. With Fed 150's being unobtainable what seems to be next best?

With my old WLP primers I get misfires with anything less than a 7.5 lb pull. I'm sure I 'll be able to limp through the stages much faster if it's 6.5 lbs. Any suggestions for best 2nd choice?

Tom

Edited by Tom E

A few places still have the Large Pistol Match and Large Pistol Magnum Match primers. I suspect that since I can utilize the 100 Small Pistol and 200 Small pistol Magnums, that the large pistol match and large pistol magnum match primers would be the same as the standard Federal 150's in reliability. There is talk that the Winchester primers of recent manufacture have been made to be more sensitive, but I've not picked up nor seen any new primers as yet.

Edited by sargenv

Current production Winchester pistol primers-identifiable by unplated brass primer cups- are the next most sensitive pistol primers.

My 625 , tuned for federal primers, reliably sets off the new Winchesters, whreas I get frequent misfires when using the older

nickle plated Winchester primers. :ph34r:

Current production Winchester pistol primers-identifiable by unplated brass primer cups- are the next most sensitive pistol primers.

My 625 , tuned for federal primers, reliably sets off the new Winchesters, whreas I get frequent misfires when using the older

nickle plated Winchester primers. :ph34r:

My 625 is reliable with Federal, but gets frequent misfires with brass Winchesters purchased last year. My understanding is that there is a "new" Winchester primer differentiated by a white corner on the blue box proclaiming the "new more sensitive surface finish". There was a picture of a box in another thread. I've been looking for some to try. So far, no joy...

I have no trouble with the "brass" colored primers when I turn my mainscrew up for a 71/2 to 8 lbs DA pull.

But I have also been inside mine and tinkered with them so they all run sub 6 lbs on Federals.

easiest fix...........just turn it up, shoot the winchesters at 8 lbs. your times won't be much if any different and likely your accuracy won't be any different.......just your trigger finger will be more tired initially until you get used to it.

Good luck,

Hopalong

Thanks Guys, I'll see if I can find some of the latest WLPs to try. White cornered box that says new improved more sensitive? I've been thru the internals on my 625 and the hammer is 238 grains. 6.5 or 7 lbs is just nicer than 7.5 but click instead of bang sucks. Anybody tried the R-P 2 1/2's? Tom

I shot some test loads today in my 625 with 5 1/2 pound trigger. I loaded 4.2 Clays in Starline brass with a Precision 230 gr coated bullet. I loaded some with Federal 150's and some with Federal 155's. I was surprised by the results. I was expecting to have to back off the powder some on the magnum primers but not so. The loads with the 150 primers averaged 175.6 power factor and the 155 primers averaged 175.7. I bought the magnum primers because that was all that was available. It looks like they will work fine and after firing another 200 I didn't get any misfires so it looks like the sensitivity is the same.

I'm wondering if the "New" Win primers are real or just a tease. I talked to my component supplier (a Win dist & commerical reloader) last weekend & he still hasn't seen any of the new primers ( white corner). He goes through 15-20 SLEEVES of W/pri a month. One would think with that volume, He should have seen some by now. Oh well , at least 155 are around sort of. Thanks Gregg K. for the latest range info on 155 P/Fs. Some good news. Dave

Edited by granderojo

Rose Dist. division of zero bulletes has Federal Large Pistol primers. Little dear $28.00 but they have them.

Bought 10K from Zero; at that quantity they were 249.50 + 20 HazMat = $269.50. They're not giving them away but it's not as bad as it could have been.

Thanks Guys, I'll see if I can find some of the latest WLPs to try. White cornered box that says new improved more sensitive? I've been thru the internals on my 625 and the hammer is 238 grains. 6.5 or 7 lbs is just nicer than 7.5 but click instead of bang sucks. Anybody tried the R-P 2 1/2's? Tom

Yes, I tried some 2 years ago, just after getting my superlight RLee Action Job, and they we're about the same as WW.

At the time my pull was at 4#'s & good with Fed's.

I just stopped at a Gander Mountain on the way home from setting up for our next match, and what to my wondering eyes did I see but a pile of Federal primers perched up on the shelf. I picked up their last 4K Federal Gold Medal Match Small Pistol primers @ $29.90/1000. That was all they had. The salesman thought it strange, until he told his boss they had to order more to restock. The boss knew there weren't any more coming down the pipeline.

With the 3K of the regular Federal 100s I still had, these will take me through this year's shooting. Over the winter I'll have to see about other brands, assuming Federals are still in short supply.

I guess I'm lucky nobody else in this area is shooting revolver competitively.

Edited by professor

In the great one's trigger job video I think there is a reference to CCI's having been changed to be more sensititve (vs their old "harder than hell" status). Any truth to this? Tom

Just a FYI at the gun show this weekend spoted 4 boxes of FED 150 LG primers, going for 25.00 per 1000, looks like the price to play is going up..I am the same, got enogh to get me though Nats in Sept, but going to looking for alts this winter. I realy do hope this Fed primer shortage is just a small short term problem, not a sign of things to come...

Went in search of primers after this morning's match. Found and bought 3K Fed 155's. There were also blue box WLPs, very few, but none with the white corner that I understand are the "new" ones. Tom

Okay, this white triangle thing is bothering me. I have *one* blue tray (100ct) of the aforementioned Winchester primers with the "improved sensitivity" white triangle. I'm very damn nearly 100% sure these are from when Winchester *first* brought out the brass colored primers. *Years* ago. They're discolored with age and have been stuck back for long enough that I don't even remember when I bought them.

Does anybody remember if Winchester put the same white triangle on their first run of blue WSP primers? Because I'm damn near 100% sure they did. I've bought a fair bit of WSPs in the last few months and they (obviously) do not have this marking.

I think someone at Winchester is screwing with us. Specifically, those of us who might not have the best long term memory. :wacko:

All my WLP's are in the old white with orange and red box. The only blue box WLP's I've seen do NOT have the white corner. Beats me. Tom

While I'm here, what's the difference between the red box and the blue/gray box Feds. I'm seeing the same primer in both packagings.

While I'm here, what's the difference between the red box and the blue/gray box Feds. I'm seeing the same primer in both packagings.
Tom - The red packaging is older stock. The blue and grey stuff came out about two years ago. The primers are the same.

I thought I didn't have many primers left, much to my happy surprise though, I discovered that I had about 8k each of the #200 and #100's. So I should be good to go for at least a year if not 2.. My 627 will light the Winchesters without an issue, my 610 however will only light about 80% of the Winchesters.. so I'll relegate those to practice ammo only. Have not tried any of the Remington primers in either gun yet but I suspect it to be similar to the WSP's.