Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPOD tunes

OK I realized the other day that there are certain tunes that I absolutely can't workout without. I get up at 4 am in the morning 3 times a week and without these artist I would be lost.

1. Van Halen: I know it's David Lee Roth singing about his penis but I can't stop myself from listening. My Mother, if she were still alive would make me erase it from my IPOD. There is something about their rock in roll that connects with me. It's truly a mystery to me why?? I now know why all the guys I went to high school with listened to Van Halen. :lol:

2. Lynyrd Skynyrd: I love them and when I'm having a real difficult time getting going in the morning I tune into them. I made my 14 year old learn Sweet Home Alabama on his guitar.

3. The Allman Brothers: Tie me to the whipping post...sweet melissa...jessica..Ramblin'Man...love them all.

4. Carrie Underwood: I know she is new, but I love her stuff. There is a soul and attitude to her that I connect with.

Other stuff on my IPOD: Jimi Hendrex, John Fogerty, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Todd Rundgren, Third Day, Billy Currington, Shania Twain.

Thank God for music!! I CAN NOT workout without it!!!

What's your favorite??

Lacuna Coil, Epica, Evanescence, Faith No More, System of a Down, Chevelle, Linkin Park and many more.

OK I don't know any of these names!! I feel so old. I think I've missed out on the last 20 years of music. Can I listen to a sampling of your music at the Indiana State Match?

Lacuna Coil, Epica, Evanescence, Faith No More, System of a Down, Chevelle, Linkin Park and many more.

OK I don't know any of these names!! I feel so old. I think I've missed out on the last 20 years of music. Can I listen to a sampling of your music at the Indiana State Match?

First three are new metal-ish bands w/ femail vocalists, Evanescence being the most pop of them. The others are various types of heavy, w/ Linkin Park probably being the lightest/poppiest :)

I have a lot of the same Classic Rock that you do, Jane... add in some Edgar Winter, Beatles, Floyd, etc... But my work out stuff is a little more brutal than even Matt's... Disturbed, Killswitch Engage, Damageplan, Corrosion of Conformity, Black Label Society, Down, Pantera, Metallica... :D

One of the guys at the gym asked me what I was listening to the other day. I told him, quite truthfully, that I didn't know. I pick my music for the tempo. It doesn't matter if it is anything from pop to heavy metal, country to contemporary christian, rave to classical,

I like it all.

It's the beat I'm looking for when I exercise.

dj

My workout music has to have some edge, especially when I lift. What I listen to when I'm on a step mill has to have a groove, but edgy. There is NOTHING worse than going from Maiden to Sarah McLaughlin (sp? and YES she is on my iPod and I'm not remotely embarrassed - the woman can sing to me anytime) when you're hoisting 75 lb dumbbells over your face.

Here's what I have and do listen to when working out:

Hell & Consequences - Stone Sour

Chavelle - Well Enough Alone

The Grudge - Tool (if The Scream doesn't raise your HR, nothing will)

Redneck - Lamb of God

Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden (good beat to step to)

Left Behind - Slipknot

Metalingus - Alter Bridge

Hole in the Earth - Deftones

Higher Ground - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Fully Alive - Flyleaf

You Can't Bring Me Down - Suicidal Tendencies

Slayer,Anthrax (old school), Rage against the machine, Carcass and Kreator in my ipod when working out...i used to listen to heavier stuff like Impetigo,Massacre and much more but im getting old <_<

Well - let's take a look at the ol' IPOD - Asleep at the Wheel,Beatles, Beck,Bob Wills, Cab Calloway, Devo,Kinky Friedman, Hank Williams, Jeff Beck, Jerry Jeff Walker, Hendrix, Jimmy Buffett,Leon Redbone, Lucinda Williams, Neil Young, Sheryl Crow, The Shins, Steely Dan, Talking Heads,Tom Petty, Waron Zevon, Speedy West...

You certainly may :)

Thanks Matt! Looking forward to seeing you. Hope I get to see you shoot some. :)

You all (meaning those who have posted) have me curious with all these bands I don't know. I think I'm going to need the assistance of my 14 year old to help me down load some of this stuff.

Here's what I've got in my Work Out Play List right now.

Infected Bad Religion

21st Century (Digital Boy) Bad Religion

Hooked on a Feelin' Baha Men

Dancing in the Moonlight Baha Men

Desperately Wanting Better Than Ezra

Good Better Than Ezra

Only The Good Die Young Billy Joel

Jerk It Out (US Mix) Caesars

Shadow Stabbing Cake

Surrender Cheap Trick

Mother Danzig

I Believe in a Thing Called Love The Darkness

Knocking At Your Back Door Deep Purple

Always the Last to Know (Single Mix) Del Amitri

Rainbow In the Dark Dio

September Earth, Wind & Fire

Stacy's Mom Fountains of Wayne

Walking On A Thin Line Huey Lewis & The News

Wasted Years Iron Maiden

2 Minutes To Midnight Iron Maiden

The Number Of The Beast Iron Maiden

I Want You Back Jackson 5

Somebody to Love Jefferson Airplane

Locomotive Breath (Live) Jethro Tull

You've Got Another Thing Comin' Judas Priest

Living After Midnight Judas Priest

Electric Eye Judas Priest

Turn Me On (Album Version/U.K. Mix) Kevin Lyttle

Immigrant Song Led Zeppelin

Fool In The Rain Led Zeppelin

Disease Matchbox Twenty

Bizarre Love Triangle New Order

Cruel to Be Kind Nick Lowe

Too Bad Nickelback

Come Out And Play (Keep 'Em Separated) The Offspring

Self Esteem The Offspring

Gotta Get Away The Offspring

Pretty Fly (For A White Guy) The Offspring

Why Don't You Get A Job? The Offspring

Hit That The Offspring

Bark at the Moon Ozzy Osbourne

Crazy Train Ozzy Osbourne

Hit Me With Your Best Shot Pat Benatar

Let My Love Open the Door Pete Townshend

Easy Lover Philip Bailey & Phil Collins

Don't Stop Me Now Queen

Can't Stop Red Hot Chili Peppers

On Mercury Red Hot Chili Peppers

Jessie's Girl Rick Springfield

Kristina Rick Springfield

Celebrate Youth Rick Springfield

Itsalwaysomething Rick Springfield

The Temples Of Syrinx Rush

Working Man Rush

Limelight Rush

Lovedrive Scorpions

All for You (Full Band Version) Sister Hazel

Whiskey Girl Toby Keith

Stays In Mexico Toby Keith

Unchained Van Halen

Feel Your Love Tonight Van Halen

Gettin' Jiggy Wit It Will Smith

Pearl Necklace ZZ Top

Depends on the workout.

If it is a 2 hour bike ride, I'll listen to Red Hot Chili Peppers, Mishka, some Saliva, and a few others with the power song being Dani California. Mainly stuff built for the long haul.

If I'm doing a circuit where intensity is key I'll go into a lot harder stuff...some Metallica, Three Days Grace, Sevendust, a little Static X, maybe some Korn, and a few others with the power song being Pain.

You need music that motivates you, but it has to motivate you in the right way for what you are doing. If I was planning on riding for 2 hours and listened to Black from Sevendust, I'd be dead after the first 20 minutes.

Best advice I can give is the tempo of the music has to match the tempo of the activity.

For workouts: All Metal all the time. Many that have been mentioned before and some that have not.

Alter Bridge, Audioslave, BLS, Black Sabbath, Boysetsfire, Chevelle, Damageplan, Disturbed, Drop Dead (,) GorgeousFilter, Kilswitch Engage, Marilyn Manson, Megadeath, Metallica, Motorhead, NIN, Ozzy, Pantera, Queens of the Stoneage, Rob Zombie, Shinedown, Slayer, Velvet Revolver, White Zombie, Wolfmother, Zakk Wylde.

I agree with Jake that the music has to match the work out. Almost all of my workouts are cardio or weights, that I fell the need to be pumped for, I use heavy music.

I will take it one step farther.

I take my ipod to matches and listen to music before stages (in the muffs and only during prep, wilst not pasting etc.)

For long (accuracy) stages I use: Jazz, Blues, or other slow music such as Nora Jones.

For medium stages I use: Emo, Indie, Classic Rock, Pop, Folk, or Alternitive.

For hoser and or feild stages I use: Metal, Hard Rock, Rap, Punk, or Grunge.

Sorry Matt, some of your music is Pop-Metal.

I am now concerned about Merlin. I mean, classic polka as workout music? :surprise:

Edited by austinkroe

If I was planning on riding for 2 hours and listened to Black from Sevendust, I'd be dead after the first 20 minutes.

Especially if you're listening to a live version, which is about 20% up-tempo... :lol: And then if you account for the added live intensity that Morgan tosses in there on that particular tune... :surprise:

Did I mention I know Morgan, and heard all the tunes on that album live in Atlanta long before their record deal??? Neat stuff... ;) He's a wicked drummer... ;) Most of that album is on my PsycheUp playlist, actually....

I'd love to see sevendust.

Definitely worth checking out. They're one of the few bands out there that can pull off live what they put on an album. In fact... I didn't really dig Animosity until I heard the tunes from that album live, and then the groove really sunk in, so... ;)

I consider live ability to be the mark of a truly talented band. Nothing disappoints me much more than hearing a band on album and really liking it - only to find out that they can't even come close when they do it live... Taproot was that way, for me... highly disappointing in the live show...

• 2 weeks later...

"Thank God for music!! I CAN NOT workout without it!!!" Agree with you 100% there...provides much motivation and that little something extra that can get me through just...2...more....when weight training.

Some of my Gym Playlist: Godsmack, Metallica, Motley Crue (Kickstart My Heart anyone?, obvious and perfect), Spiderbait's new version of Black Betty, System of A Down, Sevendust, a few Creed songs, Disturbed, a song form the Rocky soundtrack, Slipknot, Drowning Pool, Papa Roach, Saliva....

Wait, how long is this playlist? <_<:lol:

Yeah I like Evanescence too, lead singer has quite a voice.

"Any classical polka works for me." :lol: Welll...to each their own...tho' I am a huge Weird Al fan, that just wouldn't keep me going during a workout :lol:

"Did I mention I know Morgan, and heard all the tunes on that album live in Atlanta long before their record deal??? " Very cool B)

Yeah got to see Flyleaf, Shinedown & Stone Sour live with Godsmack last year...awesome show

Apparently I'm too old to be on the floor near the pit at the Disturbed concert, <_< but being that close was still fantastic. :goof:

Keep these lists comin' folks, it's great. Time for some editing on my gym list....