Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock photos...

Ron Ankeny

With the slide being back I wonder if it could be ejector fire?  I see so many shooters ( .45's mostly )  that show clear by reaching over the slide then having the round get stuck on the ejector.  I alwas explain why I think it is a bad/dangerous idea.

Many thanks Ron for posting the photos, I hope Flex enoy them

Really there is no much story behind them, the first one is an overload round, the second we don't know what happened, luckly no one was injured (in both cases, yes sir, they are 2 different pistols!!)

It seems that Gaston's tupperware can have some problems also

Thanks again Ron.

(Edited by Dani at 10:25 am on Mar. 3, 2003)

We had a Glock 'explosion' during league a week ago... the frame split right in two downward. Shooter not injured but hands were sore for couple of days. I did a double-take on this photo as a result.... Yeh, it DID rather look for a moment like a new Glock feature or something. Not that I'd want it on MY glock.......!!!!

Flex, there is a problem with your pic, i can't see it.

Yes, I have also pictures of an STI broken, another Glock with the chamber blown out, and a revolver barrell with 4 bullets inside (the guy didn't notice that the bullets were'nt going out and keep shooting!!!!)

The funny thing is that i don't have seen any Tanfo pic yet  ;)  and don't want to !!!

That is the ugliest picture I've seen!!

Such a beautiful gun......

Ahhhhhh!!!!

I get the same feeling if I think of Faith Hill getting ripped by a Mike Tyson uppercut!  I need to puke now.....

I was hoping flex or somebody would post that SVI

Worst part is that is in fact the SECOND expensive gun that pair of "gentlemen" have put paid to.

No Glock brass involved at all. Just a steady diet of 200+ PF for about two years. The barrel finally let go.

One of those fellas also had his car go bang one day but that's a better story and to be told in person.

Flex see if you can dig up the photo of the Ruger 2245 that I sent to you. I don't have the brains to set up the photo's to be posted.

Yes it was bad ammo, and lots of it.

I checked some of their loads and they WERE so far over spec it's not funny. I fired some of their 180gr loads in a 40cal rifle. Now I usually get 175-180pf ammo to do 200pf in the extra length of barrel. This stuff came out of the carbine at 265pf, (thats 1475fps in the 15" barrel). If I work backwards that should adjust to about 238pf (1322fps)in the pistol. And if they work to that level and then get one go just a little higher, who knows what was going to happen. Given that they load at less than 1.250" and use fast burning powder I estimate the pressure to be higher than the 10mm max of 35,000 PSI.

The only load in 10mm that gets close to that velocity is with medium to slow burning powder. Add to that, 40 brass is thinner in the web than 10mm (to allow for the bullet) and given the constant extreme pressure, I would say the barrel / cases could not handle it anymore. As far as I know they use new brass, they don't buy once fired. They use a Dillon 650 without a powder check.

I have seen cases let go and cause nothing like this kind of extreme barrel failure, maybe as Tdean says a single way overload. We could not find any evidence of a lodged bullet, which combined with a hot load could cause this.

The thing that amazes me is the extreme damage to the slide. Craked right to the rear. One bad load will blow the chamber and crack the slide at the front. The frame was also missing some parts of the frame rails. The grip and trigger assembly were ok.

By the time I got the pistol to inspect and get our gunsmith look at, no brass residue could be found and the slide stop had been damaged by agressive removal.

Most of the important evidence for full analysis had been "cleaned". So we will never know the full story.

I feel sorry for anything those two shoot. I and others have given them the best advise we know on reloading and the problems continue.

I think the best advice for those folks is that they stop reloading.  Eventually they will hurt, maybe kill, themselves or someone else.

On the other hand...it is nice to know that the hardware CAN take that kind of abuse and that exceeding the pressure specs by a couple percent isn't perhaps going to call for total catastrophe.  I think I will still choose to err on the side of wimpy though.

One of the two has just asked me to quote on a pair of supressed Ruger 22/45 pistols.

Thank god they can't reload for that!!!!!!

I have to admit I have not shot seriously on the same range as those two for about two years as I prefer to have a 8ft high 8" thick concrete wall between them and me. But I have a good vest handy in the workshop if I need it.