Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DPMS LR 308

M ammo

I’m putting together a DPMS LR-308

The 18 inch heavy barrel version.

I would like to know if someone who might be working with one already. And has worked out the bugs?

What type of ammo, does it like? I’ll reload for it, and am wondering in specific. How big a bullet it will take fit and feed in the magazine?

And what weight bullet, is the best balance between. Recoil and holding accuracy at 300?

I like to shoot the Tac Pro tactical match. (With optics) and am looking to have this gun ready for that type of match, the 8 inch plates at 250-300 in some serious cross wind has given me problems in the past. I’m trying to get this tool ready for that job.

And just one more thing,, does anyone know if DPMS or anyone is thinking of making a 30 round Magazine that will fit a DPMS in 308? That would be great!

Thanks M ammo

I am doing a similar thing but using a DPMS AP4 as the starting point. I too will be reloading for it. SO I am interested in the responses you get.

I am using YHM front and rear folding sights with a MS Match Fiber Optic front pin. I also went with the DPMS rifle length railed handguard which allowed the front sight to be moved forward increasing sight radius.

I put in a JP trigger and a Miculek comp. It doesn't kick that much different from a non-comped .223 but sure is loud. I haven't shot for groups yet but I can wack the poppers at 200 with irons no problem with 150 gr Federal or WW ball ammo. I do plan to add a scope for working up a good reload in the future.

I don't know of any 30 rd mags for it yet. I haven't looked since I plan on shooting HM where over 20 rd are not allowed.

And just one more thing,, does anyone know if DPMS or anyone is thinking of making a 30 round Magazine that will fit a DPMS in 308? That would be great!

Thanks M ammo

Everybody is rolling their own so far. Any good welder should be able to put a couple together. Don't ask me why DPMS made a 19 round magazine. Everyone is still scratching their heads over that one...

Thanks M ammo

Everybody is rolling their own so far. Any good welder should be able to put a couple together. Don't ask me why DPMS made a 19 round magazine. Everyone is still scratching their heads over that one...

I heard rumors it is the same mag as what was once called the 20 rd. With 20 rds in it, it gagged but with 19 it ran fine. So rather than redesign anything, they just call it 19 so folks won't complain.

I have only shot two of the ten mags I have. I loaded them to 20 and they work. Other than being harder to seat with a round already in the chamber, I don't know what the deal was. I would think a little tuning would have the issue resolved if 20 rds in the mag are a problem.

Back in the early 90's in my SWAT days, we used to have issues with curved MP5 mags loaded to the 30 rd capacity. So we loaded to 28 and never had a problem after that.

I am doing a similar thing but using a DPMS AP4 as the starting point. I too will be reloading for it. SO I am interested in the responses you get.

I am using YHM front and rear folding sights with a MS Match Fiber Optic front pin. I also went with the DPMS rifle length railed handguard which allowed the front sight to be moved forward increasing sight radius.

I put in a JP trigger and a Miculek comp. It doesn't kick that much different from a non-comped .223 but sure is loud. I haven't shot for groups yet but I can wack the poppers at 200 with irons no problem with 150 gr Federal or WW ball ammo. I do plan to add a scope for working up a good reload in the future.

I don't know of any 30 rd mags for it yet. I haven't looked since I plan on shooting HM where over 20 rd are not allowed.

----------------------------------

I don’t plan on shooting it with Iron sights at all.

I got a Barska 1.5X4.5 with Mil dots, the price is right, in the $100 ish,,, range,

I’ll have to do all the math, but the mil dots, will get me out to 300-400. and I probably can’t see part that, but that will make this the tool I need for the Tac Pro Tactical 3 Gun match. And for any other shooting need for 400 in to point blank.

I like to shoot steel plates.

My other AR runs great, and shoots better than I can hold it. 40 round mags, a low power scope and I’m ready to go. For just about all my shooting needs.

Tac Pro has some real,, rifle stages. Some of them have been, Blind stages, and once the buzzer goes off, you have to run what you brung.

A 20+ MPH cross wind, and gusts, just to make it fun, whooped my but,,, and the 60 GR V-max got pushed all over, and when I hit the steel, it was hard to see.

SO I’m working on it. I'll let you know what,,, I get it to do..

M ammo

FWIW, a friend has been working on making an extended basepad to make the capacity a true 20. The problem is that the amount of work involved so far seems to be greater than welding two 19's together. My fall project will probably be setting up an a 20" A-4 DPMS as a precision race rifle. Hopefully I'll have a good saw and a tig by then and I'll post on how to build an extended mag. The only issue will probably be teeing up ISMI to build the springs (have to give him a qty order)

...does anyone know if DPMS or anyone is thinking of making a 30 round Magazine that will fit a DPMS in 308?

Get in touch with Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports about converting a couple of your 20's into a 30+ ...

When you start reloading do not use Federal brass. It is to soft and the extractor will pull the rim off of it. I learned this the hard way in my SR-25. A buddy had the same problem in his DPMS.

Might want to try a faster burning powder. Your cartridge case is still swelled to the chamber wall while the bolt is retracting.

The Federal brass is to soft for the SR-25 no matter how fast the powder is. I have tried 10 different combinations. According to Knight Manufacturing the Federal brass should never be used in the SR-25 including the factory loads.

I also have one with an 18" heavy barrel.

I've tried most commercial loads in it just to get an idea as to what it likes, and found that Black Hills 168 grain match(red box) did about the best, with Federal 168 grain match as a second. The groups were about 1 1/2" at 200 yards. I was playing with some handloads and found that a Lapua 155 grain bullet, with Varget behind it will cut the group size down to about half.

Mine also has a JP trigger and a Micklek comp and the recoil isn't bad for a .308, but, I think it's at least double the recoil of my .223s.

Everyone, please contact Benny to make your custom 30 round magazines.

Anything that takes a lot of time and keeps him from practicing is a good thing. :D

Erik

I tried to call him at his shop today. But the answering machine was the only thing home.

He must have been busy making those mags.

;)

Jim