Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Revolver-Help Needed!

Please help me out:

I just picked up a second 627 8 shot and plan to try Open Revolver in ICORE & Steel on the cheap to start. If it seems to work out for me I will do it right.

Some questions for now and for future:

1. Will Mag Na Port Quad Port do as much as a comped barrel?

2. What is the lowest profile I can get for a dot sight? (Mount and sight)

3. Anyone got used parts they want to sell?

I am starting with a used 30MM sight I plan to get from HDGUN to try. Right now, I have a Weigand mount that I need to dig out. If Mag Na Port is definitely not the way to go, I will forget that until I can afford a good comped barrel.

I have never shot an open gun of any kind and have no idea where to start after buying the 627. Action work will be my own but after that, help me out.

Thanks,

Gary

Porting or comping the barrel is not that important with the light loads you are going to be shooting. The 30 mm sight will be a good starting choice but if you can find one get a big dot, not the small one. It is faster for speed shooting.

Get your moons from Hearthco at DHearth@hotmail.com

Please help me out:

I just picked up a second 627 8 shot and plan to try Open Revolver in ICORE & Steel on the cheap to start. If it seems to work out for me I will do it right.

Some questions for now and for future:

1. Will Mag Na Port Quad Port do as much as a comped barrel?

Definitely not. I'm not convinced ports do much of anything.

I have several 627s in 38 super and 38/357 and none are ported. I have shot other ones that were ported and you can't tell the difference. Save your money. I have a J-Point with a 4 min dot on one and a C-more with a 6 min dot on one. Both work great but the 4 minute dot is tough when the sun is real bright. If I shot open revolver more I would buy another C-More.

Gary, I would have someone mill the scope mount flat if you are using a Cmore. You can drill and tap the flat base for the two screws and you now have the lowest dot platform other than a Jpoint or Dr. If you use a tube dot it wont work as you need the weaver base.

I have found, for me, that I like simple ports ala Hybrid type holes on the top of the barrel. The ports do something with a light barrel, but I dont know how much with a heavy barrel...if that makes sense.... :rolleyes:

We were just talking about the Magnaport comping this last weekend at the Sunflower match, and agreed for what we do it doesnt do a thing....now a 1500 fps 110gr jhp.....like the old Maaaganum loads...yeah, it would help... :lol:

The last thing is to find the right grips for the gun that allow you to be fast out of the holster. After that, just load and go to town!

Good luck,

DougC

The lowest profile for a dot is to mount a Doctor or Jpoint. I believe this can be done pretty easily since the 627's are drilled & tapped already.

I have a J-Point. It requires a proprietary mount

Gary,

I agree with Doug - mill a standard mount flat and tap a sight on top - if you want to try what it feels like I can bring one of mine to the next local match - I am using C-Mores.

I have a couple new extra mounts if you need one..

LMK.

Paul

Gary,

I agree with Doug - mill a standard mount flat and tap a sight on top - if you want to try what it feels like I can bring one of mine to the next local match - I am using C-Mores.

I have a couple new extra mounts if you need one..

LMK.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I think the next time I will be anywhere near you is Harvard Three Gun June 10. Maybe there and bring the mount please so I can at least see what you mean.

One question, is the CMOR you are using the Railway??

Gary

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Gary congratulations on the 627. I have a C-More on my 627 V Comp with a Weigand mount. Getting it lower to the bore would be nice. I use Starline brass and Ranch moonclips but also have Herthco clips. I played around with short colts but ultimately stayed with the 38 special. I use 4.2gr of Clays with a 158gr RN jacketed bullet for a 129PF. Needless to say there is plenty of info on the boards on trigger jobs and springs but that's something you'll want to do. It's pretty easy to get it in the 6lb range. I also use a CR Speed rig. As for porting like others said it doesn't matter much.

DougCarden can you elaborate on the C-Moore modification and or post a pic? Are you saying the scope can be mounted directly to the frame? Is this the setup you're using now? I've got an extra Slide Ride C-Moore as a back up to my 2011 Open gun would that work? I'll see ya at the IRC.

Ralph

Weaver makes a mount for the S&W that is factory drilled and tapped and darn cheap..The Burris Fastfire red dot sight,new and sort of untried,comes with a base mount that goes on the weaver mount..It is rather inexpensive,about half the price of the Docter and looks real good..Have one on a 38 Super with a frame mount,slide mounts not available yet,and it seems great..Only shooting minor though and the 4min dot seems as bright as the 7min on a docter..

Weaver makes a mount for the S&W that is factory drilled and tapped and darn cheap..The Burris Fastfire red dot sight,new and sort of untried,comes with a base mount that goes on the weaver mount..It is rather inexpensive,about half the price of the Docter and looks real good..Have one on a 38 Super with a frame mount,slide mounts not available yet,and it seems great..Only shooting minor though and the 4min dot seems as bright as the 7min on a docter..

Thanks for the info. I have a Weigand mount that will work if I go that route.

627-8times003.jpg

Number 1 on the left is all set up and has been used for my steel matches. #2 (Take a look at that funny thing on the hammer :rolleyes: ) Will be the open gun. This weekend, it will get the full treatment of action job and hammer bob. Then I should be ready to try a dot.

Has anyone used the J Point?

The only experience I have with dot sights is the reflex on my AR. I use a Trijicon amber triangle that comes up fast for me.

Another question is what size dot??

Gary

Gary the Weigand mount will work fine. I set mine up that way thinking it would be as close to my STI Open gun as possible. Not exactly true as it sits igher over the bore but close enough. Seems I have to avoid the tinkering mode with revolvers. It works well enough. Sorry I thought it was a V-Comp in your earlier post which now makes more sense why you inquired about porting. Same answer applies I don't notice much difference at 130PF. Looks like you did a nice hammer job on gun #1. Was it the dremel technique?

The J-Point as you know is all plastic like the Optima that preceded it..It works well but I believe that the FastFire is better,all metal and glass..Besides it is less money than the J-Point..Mid-South has the Burris sight for less than $200 and it comes with a mounting plate for Weaver type mounts..

No I don't have anything to do with Burris except the fact that I see a lot of potential in the sight..It will fit Docter mounts buy I don't care for any Dr mounts that I have seen or tried..

As far as dot size I have Optima's in both sizes,prefer the larger, and J-Points in the 8min dot..The Docter in 7min is real good and I was surprised that the Burris,witch only comes in 4min dot, was as easy to use as the larger dot in the Docter..I will probably get at least one more Burris sight after The slide ride mounting plates arrive and the sight is checked out more..

RW, all you do with the weaver style mount of your choice is to mill the weaver "ridges" off the top so it is flat.

You now take the railway mount off of the bottom of the Cmore, and they you line up the Cmore on top of the flat mount where you want it. You then drill and tap two holes in the top of the mount and the Cmore goes right flush with the mount.

I will try to post a pic of my Short Colt.....If I could do it without a drill press anyone can.... :rolleyes:

post-580-1180150356.jpg

Gary the Weigand mount will work fine. I set mine up that way thinking it would be as close to my STI Open gun as possible. Not exactly true as it sits igher over the bore but close enough. Seems I have to avoid the tinkering mode with revolvers. It works well enough. Sorry I thought it was a V-Comp in your earlier post which now makes more sense why you inquired about porting. Same answer applies I don't notice much difference at 130PF. Looks like you did a nice hammer job on gun #1. Was it the dremel technique?

Thanks Ralph. #1 has the only Randy hammer I ever bought. I use a similar profile but I use Dremel for the rough work and a 1.5" belt sander for shape and finish when I do my own. I think the Randy hammer is up to about $150 now which is more than I am willing to pay.

Thanks to all. I think I will look at the Burris sight.

Gary

Thanks Ralph. #1 has the only Randy hammer I ever bought. I use a similar profile but I use Dremel for the rough work and a 1.5" belt sander for shape and finish when I do my own. I think the Randy hammer is up to about $150 now which is more than I am willing to pay.

Thanks to all. I think I will look at the Burris sight.

Gary

Post a pic when you get done with it. I've thought about doing the same to my hammer but like I said working on revolvers or for that matter any pistol is like searching for the Holy Grail. There comes a point where you just have to go and shoot. Found a pic you might like to see.

post-3095-1180297457.jpg

Round Gun......Here is a picture of what I believe to be the lowest C more mount around.

Is it worth the effort? BTW it looks awesome. My guess is you milled down a standard mount like described above.

Round Gun......Here is a picture of what I believe to be the lowest C more mount around.

Is it worth the effort? BTW it looks awesome. My guess is you milled down a standard mount like described above.

Oh....it's worth the effort.....come out to the IRC and I'll show you how quick it can make you.....LOL......

These are newly manufactured alloy mounts, which are made on a CNC machine. I have seen the weaver style mounts milled down, and that is always an option, however, they don't get the dot as low on the gun as mine. As per the pictures above though, some tube scopes are actually lower than a C More. The thing that I like about C Mores, is at present I still haven't broken one, and I have a box full of broken scopes.