Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Rules - tape on glasses

Loves2Shoot

Is it legal to shoot with taped glasses? I was told it is illegal, but can't find it in the rules.

It would fall into the same category as cleats. They are not specifically prohibited in the rule book, but if you showed up at a sanctioned match with cleats on, be prepared for flak. An SO could claim that the tape is "competition only equipment," which is prohibited by the rulebook. (Good IDPA course design would negate any 'advantage' cleats would give anyway).

Like many things, it's hard to get an "official position" on taped glasses from IDPA. If you are concerned about an upcoming match, contact the MD or the area coordinator.

I'd have to put it in the category of competition only equipment unless you wear them all the time (Your not a retired pirate are you?) Then again I am assuming you are attempting to correct for cross eye dominance issues, right handed but left eyed, and as such dont really see you gaining a competitive advantage more like trying to correct a physical handicap like a knee brace. I would probably allow it if you said that's why you a wearing it, but as stated above for a santioned match I would send an email or letter first.

If it ain't in the Rule Book, it ain't a rule.

well said, but I have gotten into a HEAP of flak with the AC over that very thing, and was told that regardless of the fact that there was no rule, that was the way they did it in Berryville and that was the way they were going to do it at that match...

So without getting overtly political and closing this thread, what would you do

Duane? I can tell you what I did, but the result was not optimum....LOL :lol::P

"para F . 2

Cleated shoes designed for specific sports (i.e., football, baseball, golf, etc.) may not be worn."

I reread the rules and am now gonna have to say taped glasses not allowed, Unless you can make a case that you wear them all the time, I would say competition only equipment so not allowed.

I reread the rules and am now gonna have to say taped glasses not allowed

Do the rules say that taped glasses are not allowed?

Not only do I think a taped lens should be prohibited I also think wearing shooting glasses and ear protection should be prohibited. After all competition only equipment is competition only equipment..............

Good point. :lol:

I also think wearing shooting glasses and ear protection should be prohibited.

I was thinking the same thing. I heard that the SO in Bend said something along the lines of "you wouldn't have tape on your glasses in a public conflict would you?"

I also wouldn't be wearing safety glasses and ear protection either.

I'll argue that point with you all day were Idpa is concerned. That is the primary reason I no longer shoot Idpa is because of the rules that aren't in the book and the local interpretation of the rules. I started my shooting in Idpa and shot it for close to 5 yrs before it got to the point that the rules became so fuzzy that nobody understands what they are, and heaven help you if you show them any different.

I'll argue that point with you all day were Idpa is concerned. That is the primary reason I no longer shoot Idpa is because of the rules that aren't in the book and the local interpretation of the rules. I started my shooting in Idpa and shot it for close to 5 yrs before it got to the point that the rules became so fuzzy that nobody understands what they are, and heaven help you if you show them any different.

You must have shot the same matches with the same MD's and AC's that I did...some of the reasoning was so obtuse that it boggled the mind... ;)

Is it legal to shoot with taped glasses? I was told it is illegal, but can't find it in the rules.

What retard told you it was illegal,already been one thread locked over this.

I have always shot with tape on my glasses.

I have shot 5 different State Matches with no problem.

Put it in the rulebook if it is illegal.

It never quits amazing me what the IDPA shooters will whine about.

pat :ph34r:

Easy does it, folks. A small snipet from the Forum Guidelines:

Posting Guidelines

Attitude

Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.

No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.

Antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones are not acceptable.

The "retard" and "whine" comments have no place in a discussion about whether tape on lenses is legal at IDPA events.

Due to the fuzziness of rules it is alot like our legal system, It's allowed or disallowed based on precedent, IE it was allowed or disallowed because of a prior major match, I have seen examples of National rulings or stages used at club level that seems to violate the rules. Heck even the classifier goes against the rule book,, as in course designers "should avoid" RWR on the clock, guess the "Should is the thing. Like I said it doesnt say. But reading the section about cleats and kneepads and then being refered back to the beginning of the book If I was a MD which I am not so my opinion doesnt officially count for anything but my own, I would say not allowed. Typical Eyes and ear protections are competition equipment even though I wear them alot and eyes allmost allways, but our guns holsters etc are also. I think that is competition equipment necessary to conduct a match sorta like the targets props etc. I guess the only thing that can be said on this subject is "If I was MD I would rule xxxxx"

I really don't give a rat's ass how they do it in Berryville. If it is not in the rule book then it does not matter. Until IDPA takes the time to post a Q&A section on their website or in the Tactical Journal then I go by what's written in the rule book.

Rant mode off :D