Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun choice..

john pen

Ive been a lurker around here for some time now, so thought Id jump in. I shot in a league 7 or 8 years ago with a stock 1911 38 super. Im now finally in a position to get back into the sport, but I know how things change. My question is...Im ready to start building a gun. It'll be a little at a time as money permits and I have three choices of which to invest my money in..

1. Glock 22 40cal with a fitted Wilson Combat barrel

2. 1911 in 38 super (trigger job and magwell)

3. 1911 45 cal (stock) remington...

Opinions..?

Depends on what division(s) you want to shoot in. Of the three the G22 would be the most versatile. It would allow you to shoot Limited, L10, and Production. There are tons of options and choices out there depending on what you'd like to focus on.

The only one that would not work is the 1911 in 38 super, unless you want to shoot minor in Single Stack. The 1911 in .45 works for Single Stack, and the G22 as stated above is good for 3 divisions.

For me, I would choose the glock. They are very easy to work on & you can add parts as you like without spending all your money at one time. Actually, I would look for a 35 myself but the 22 will probably do just as well. You can do your own trigger job. Then as you get more funds or decide you want to, you can buy an inexpensive RS trigger kit or spend a little mroe & get a Vanek. You can add sights yourself if you want. Magwell after you get going a little faster. Pretty much, almost anything you want to do to it, you can do yourself & can do one part at a time. If you have limited funds, like some of us, buying a piece at a time is much better than spending the wad & not having any money for ammo. This is of course only an opinion, YMMV :) Either way, come on out, have some fun! I sort of recomment you shoot whatever you have for a while. Realistically you could buy a $3k gun & you might still come in near last place for a while. Remember, everyone gets beat. The real winners are the folks that have the most fun! MLM

I probably should've stated in the first post that I already have the guns listed...sorry

Thanks all...no matter what I decide, Ill be starting shooting this month. My club does a single stack / stock thing. I think Ill shoot the 38 super there and start to save my pennies to build the glock. Id love to buy a gun thats used and finished, but $$$$...

Edited by john pen

I'm missing something here. You mention saving your pennies "....to build the Glock." The Glocks I shoot come already built from the manufacturer.

I respectfully suggest saving your pennies to buy ammo and "build" your gunhandling skills. LOTS of shooters WASTE their resources on marginally important gear issues.

Get to the shooting. Then, take a class. And then shoot some more. Repeat as necessary.

FY42385

I love spending money on guns, but the last post has some good advice. You don't really need a Wilson barrel, etc. The Oregon Glock championship, with over 100 shooters and many, many modified Glocks, was won last year by an almost stock Glock 35. All it had was an ICE magwell. Most guns shoot very well right off the shelf.

My 34 has aftermarket sights. It also has a plain slide lock and a 5lb. connector instead of the 3.5. My 35 is identical except for a kkm barrel because I practice with plain lead bullets in the .40. If it weren't for the fact that I get leads for less than $3.00 per 100 :D , I wouldn't even have the barrel. My "hog killer" 20 is bone stock. In my humble opinion, the worst thing I think you can do to a Glock is "build" it. Been there, done that, ended up coming back to a stock gun. It seems like the more stuff you do to a Glock, the more likely they become unreliable. Trevoro and Konkapot are giving you good advice. Spend your money on ammo and learning. It's money better spent in the long run. Don't get hung on trivial "gadgets".

I bought the Wilson barrel to replace the damaged barrel that was in the gun when I bought it a few years back. The previous owner shot a bunch of lead through the stock barrel and damaged it. Picked it up for a song and put in a new barrel. Thanks for all the advice..points well taken...

How about whatever fits your hand the best?

A Glock fits me better than a 1911.

Anything with bullets fits my hand..lol

For now, Im shooting my 38 super in a single stack class to get the feel for it again. My glock is the same as my duty gun, and is very comfortable. I think when the time comes, it may get some toys...Thanks all for your advise !