Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA "postal match" is on

Jane

I plan to run the Postal on June 16 also.

We are just down the road from GmanCdp's place but I get a number of casual shooters who would not travel even that far to shoot.

I remember back when American Handgunner was running an IPSC Postal. Their best years had up in the thousands of entries from all over the world. I remember feeling like the big frog in a small pond by coming in 11th... out of 41 entries in IPSC Modified, a Division since dropped for lack of interest.

I think all the petty quibbling over details of the First Annual IDPA Postal is unsportsmanlike. Let's everybody do a consientious job of setting, running, and shooting it consistently and just have a good time.

+1 to that...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity, anyone "throw" shots on the first pass in Stage 2, then plan on making them up from the kneeling position?

Ie, from right side of barricade, shoot the first 3 carefully, then the next 3 as fast as possible, go forward, and shoot it normally, then from the kneeling position, start on the left side (which should have questionable hits) and hammer double-taps at the first 3 targets from 5 yards....

Boo, throwing shots as a plan IMHO is FTDR, "but" it is a Vickers stage and you may make up shots, so at 5yd line that may be the best place to do it. As an SO on the stage I didn't notice any one throwing shots, but I did see a lot of misses, and I have been known to try to help the noobs by telling them to "keep shooting".

Lenny

On stage 3, since the shooter is given the option of standing to engage T3-4, the table is not cover? Can the shooter move from the table for shooting or reloading? That is, I can see someone taking two steps to the right, from the start position, to get a clear view of T3, and then staying there to shoot and reload, if there's no cover. As long as T3 is engaged before T4 (tac priority), it's okay to move from the table to engage them?

Also, in the video, it looks like the shooter engages T4 before T3; T3 is much closer to the shooter, and the no-shoot doesn't qualify as cover, so shouldn't T3 be engaged first (before T4)?

Edited by RickB

On stage 3, since the shooter is given the option of standing to engage T3-4, the table is not cover? Can the shooter move from the table for shooting or reloading? That is, I can see someone taking two steps to the right, from the start position, to get a clear view of T3, and then staying there to shoot and reload, if there's no cover. As long as T3 is engaged before T4 (tac priority), it's okay to move from the table to engage them?

Also, in the video, it looks like the shooter engages T4 before T3; T3 is much closer to the shooter, and the no-shoot doesn't qualify as cover, so shouldn't T3 be engaged first (before T4)?

If the stage is set up exactly the way the COF is designed you gain nothing by moving that can't be had by standing straight up or slightly leaning while seated. When seated the entire head of T-3 is visible but when you stand up most of T3 is clearly visible and considering the distance to the target is so short it makes no sense to move.

The shooter in the video did indeed shoot it out of sequence but since you couldn't see the SO in the video it is hard to tell if he was given a procedural or not. If he wasn't given one that was a mistake by the SO.

If the stage is set up exactly the way the COF is designed you gain nothing by moving that can't be had by standing straight up or slightly leaning while seated. When seated the entire head of T-3 is visible but when you stand up most of T3 is clearly visible and considering the distance to the target is so short it makes no sense to move.

The shooter in the video did indeed shoot it out of sequence but since you couldn't see the SO in the video it is hard to tell if he was given a procedural or not. If he wasn't given one that was a mistake by the SO.

While I'm happy to concede that no benefit may be gained from moving, I'm asking about what happens if someone does? If the table is not cover, then leaving the start position is OK, and allowing the shooter to stand while engaging T3-4 seems to support that. Nothing in the procedure says the shooter must remain at the table. Lots of people have shot the stage, and I suspect more than a few have not stayed at the table; did they get dinged with a procedural? Should they?

While I'm happy to concede that no benefit may be gained from moving, I'm asking about what happens if someone does? If the table is not cover, then leaving the start position is OK, and allowing the shooter to stand while engaging T3-4 seems to support that. Nothing in the procedure says the shooter must remain at the table. Lots of people have shot the stage, and I suspect more than a few have not stayed at the table; did they get dinged with a procedural? Should they?

Since Lenny checks this thread I'll let him give you the official answer on that.

Merlin: Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag big guy ;-) It should be alot of fun. We will also have one steel stage as well. Come down to Corpus and enjoy the cool weather. Thanks, Eric

Kool Weather, Man Aircooled6racer dont know where your at, but it's freaking HOT :surprise:

Just got back from running/shooting the Postal.

Fun. And it isn't but 90F and sunny.

We added on a Standards to pad the round count but the offical stages were very good.

Good descriptions, enough barricades to control the shooting to where it was meant to be.

I only gave out two PEs, one for shooting over the barrel, one for not "slicing the pie", both on Stage 2.

Hello: We shot the match this past Sunday. It was alot of fun and goes very quickly. The weather was cool only 95 degrees with some breeze and cloud cover. That is about as good as it gets till October. Can't wait to see how bad I did now. Thanks, Eric

About the movement from the chair, at this point SOs should advise shooters not to move from in front of the chair. It's hard to know what 113 other shooters did so far. The entire stage is shot from "Position 1" which is the chair, not "around" the chair or "near" the chair, but "the chair". For a "match" like this I guess it's best to not assume that if it doesn't say not to do something it's ok. We tried to say what "to do" as clearly as possible, and in this case it's to shoot from "Position 1".

Thanks, have fun, Lenny

About the movement from the chair, at this point SOs should advise shooters not to move from in front of the chair. It's hard to know what 113 other shooters did so far. The entire stage is shot from "Position 1" which is the chair, not "around" the chair or "near" the chair, but "the chair". For a "match" like this I guess it's best to not assume that if it doesn't say not to do something it's ok. We tried to say what "to do" as clearly as possible, and in this case it's to shoot from "Position 1".

Thanks, have fun, Lenny

We did have fun, all 58 of us. We decided to tell everyone to stay at the desk, since there was no advantage to moving, and if the "official word" turned out to be that the shooter shouldn't move, we could have had some invalid scores. I'll forward the results as soon as I get the four postal stage scores separated from the other two stages we shot on Saturday.

I can tell you what the shooters here did on Stage 3.

T1 - T2 were required to be shot seated, no question.

What we did to T3-T4 depended on the shooter's height. The short guys stood up, the tall ones just sat up straight. Nobody took a step, a little bob and weave was the most movement.

We decided to tell everyone to stay at the desk, since there was no advantage to moving, and if the "official word" turned out to be that the shooter shouldn't move, we could have had some invalid scores.

Actually, I saw several shooters move to engage the last two targets. I didn't really consider this a biggie, since anyone who did it that way was obviously not going to turn in a great score. More of a "built-in procedural" time penalty than anything else. I think some people were scared of the no-shoot and didn't think they could shoot over it without pulling shots low.

We decided to tell everyone to stay at the desk, since there was no advantage to moving, and if the "official word" turned out to be that the shooter shouldn't move, we could have had some invalid scores.

Actually, I saw several shooters move to engage the last two targets. I didn't really consider this a biggie, since anyone who did it that way was obviously not going to turn in a great score. More of a "built-in procedural" time penalty than anything else. I think some people were scared of the no-shoot and didn't think they could shoot over it without pulling shots low.

I agree. As I said earlier in this thread when the COF is set up exactly as it is designed you gained nothing by moving that couldn't be accomplished by remaining seated. The guys that got up and moved around wasted time and effort to do so.