Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag pouches for production, CR Speed or Safariland?

SLM

I need mag pouches to get started in production and have it down to Safariland 773's (left handed) or CR Speed versa (ambi) and was wondering what your preference is. As a new shooter I guess I'm leaning toward the Safariland's because they are quite a bit cheaper but does that also equate to an inferior pouch compared to the CR's? How many would you recommend for production, 3 or 4?

Currently the only belt I own is a 1 1/4" x 1/8" thick leather dress type belt. Would that be enough to get started with or should I get the CR Speed belt or similar?

Thanks in advance! :D

I prefer the CR Speed belt and pouches. The belt is a must have. Also consider just using kydex mag pouches from Comp-Tac. One nice thing about the CR speed pouches is that they configure for different mags by use of inserts. That way you can use them for any of the divisions. I run 5 pouches for production. There are some stages that require 5 mags. I used to run four until I had the need for a fifth mag at the recent SC sectional on a long field course. I ended the stage at slide lock and knew I had only enough rounds to clean the last position. Four would probably work for most matches.

I like the CR Speed pouches for the same reason listed, but people have differing tastes/opinions (I guess that's why Baskin-Robbins has all those flavors). Regardless of which mag pouches you go with, as bullitt said, get the CR Speed belt. It's a "must have."

A quick question about the CR belt... How much too "long" is it? It says to order it for your waist size. I'm a 35 and it only comes in 34 or 36. I'm hesitant to get a 34 and have it be too short but I'm afraid a 36 will be too long. Would it be better to go long or short?

Always buy 1 size larger in the belt because you'll need the extra length as you put more stuff on. CR Speed belt is a must.

I don't like the 773 pouches. Modified 771's work better. 771 leaves the front of the mag open so it is easier to index. I modify mine by round off the top corner so it releases earlier and you don't have a corner to deal with. The 771 also release the mag smoother especially if you don't pull it out straight. Some mag pouches will hang when you do that.

I wear size 34 jeans, but my first CR belt was a 38 and seemed too small, so I got another one this time in 40 and it fits great. Overlap is essential, especially if you have a heavy Limited or Open gun, and lots of full-cap mags to support.

I wear size 34 jeans, but my first CR belt was a 38 and seemed too small, so I got another one this time in 40 and it fits great. Overlap is essential, especially if you have a heavy Limited or Open gun, and lots of full-cap mags to support.

Thanks Chris. That's the kind of info I need here. TOTALLY new at this game. Just shooting production right now with a CZ-85 so I'd have that and four mags with 10 rounds in them so for now weight isn't so much of an issue but you never know... One of those Benny Hill fat free guns might show up in the classifieds. :) Sounds like we're about the same size... I'm 6' tall and 175 lbs. Do you think I should go with a 40 then also?

Definitely CR Speed belt and for PRoduction, I like the Kytac pouches for my Glock. If I shot something other than a Glock, I would probably use the CR Speed pouches. I like the Blade Tech DOH for holster.

I've pretty well decided that I'm going with the CR Speeds even after reading all the reports of them moving on the belt. Velcro seems to be the solution. I was planning on ordering the Blade-Tech DOH but with the new rules coming out in about a month, I'm hesitant to order one with the possibility of it being "outlawed" for production. I'm sort of in a hold on a holster right now... Get it? Hold on a Holster?? :lol: Ok, so it wasn't that funny but I did want the DOH. I just might chance it still and if it becomes illegal, get the Stingray mod for it.

The CR Speed belt is a must. I'm also 6' tall but a little over 175 lbs ;). I wear size 40 and the size 42 belt works perfectly for me. As for the CR pouch, a lot of shooters like it but I've seen lost tension screws and dropped mags. I'm sure with proper adjustment it will be solid, a lot of top notch shooters use it. I use Safariland, not the 771 nor 773 something older forgot what model. Fits the CR Speed really tight without movements. +1 on Blade-Tech DOH.

Thanks for all the input guys. I appreciate it. I went with the CR Speed mag holders and belt. I'm a 35 jean size so I ordered the 38 belt. Hopefully it will arrive this coming week.

Maybe a little purple (low strength) Loctite on the tension screws would be a good idea?

Man, maybe I should just order the DOH and take my chances. It seems if everyone really likes them.

Edited by SLM

An easy fix to secure the CR Speed pouches to the belt are to drill the bottom of the belt slide and drill and tap and install one or two 6-32 set screws to cinch down on the belt and presto......no movement at all. I did my pouches and holster that way and they are rock solid and it only took about 15 minutes to do.

FWIW I do not care for the Bladetech DOH. I prefer to use Comp-Tac's speed belt holster. But YMMV. The DOH holsters I do have have been converted to standard belt slide by removing the DOH adapter piece. No extra parts are necessary.

An easy fix to secure the CR Speed pouches to the belt are to drill the bottom of the belt slide and drill and tap and install one or two 6-32 set screws to cinch down on the belt and presto......no movement at all. I did my pouches and holster that way and they are rock solid and it only took about 15 minutes to do.

FWIW I do not care for the Bladetech DOH. I prefer to use Comp-Tac's speed belt holster. But YMMV. The DOH holsters I do have have been converted to standard belt slide by removing the DOH adapter piece. No extra parts are necessary.

On the Comp-Tac's, I don't see one called a speed belt holster. Am I missing something? All I'm seeing is the belt holster and adjustable cant one. :wacko: Thanks.

Thanks for the information. Now to pick between the Blade-Tec and the Comp-Tac. Mind if I ask what you like the Comp-Tac better or what you don't like about the Blade-Tec?

I'll look into doing the drill/tap/set on my pouches too. They should be here this coming week. That sounds like a good idea!

I cannot get a complete firing grip drawing out of the DOH. I do not like my grip to get compromised coming out of the holster. The Comp-Tac allows me to get a solid and secure grip coming out of the bucket. I also actually gained speed drawing out of the Comp-Tac over the DOH. YMMV. Comp-Tac also has no wait to ship. You order and receive in about 4 days.

Comp-Tac belt holster ordered. Thanks for all the help. The CR Speed belt and pouches should be here next Tuesday and then the holster sometime. :)

Just a quick update... Everything is here, belt, mag holders and holster.

I've already flipped the mag pouches from righty to lefty and changed out the inserts to the CZ ones while I was at it. I slipped them on the belt and they do have a little movement but not too much. I'm going to run with it for a while until I decide exactly where I want them then I'll probably do the drill and tap for set screw.

The holster was here in no time flat too. I'm impressed. And what's not to like about a company that sends you a roll of "Smarties" candy with your order?! I love those things! :wub:

Welp, now to try out this game in about 17 days! :ph34r: