Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Friend With G34 Issues

billdncn

Can any of you make suggestions for my friend?

Here is his question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a question, maybe you can answer. As you know i am using the glock

34. I have a 12# recoil spring and the usual parts that came with it. ie

3.5# connector ect.... I shoot a 147 grain subsonic round from federal.

In rencent tests i have found that i am getting better groups with plain

old 115 grain box ammo than i am with the 147 grain. I am not sure if the

recoil between the two rounds is really that different. In general i should

be doing better with the 147 grain stuff because there should be less

recoil. but this is not the case.

Any ideas why this is? I have cronographed the ammo and the 147 grain "

subsonic " round is really not subsonic out of my g34. Its comming out at

about 1007-1011 fps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks guys. I made a few suggestions to him (try stock spring setup, see how they do out of his G17, etc.), but I wanted to see what you guys thought.

He needs to learn to reload the 147 gr bullets or buy the 147 gr load from Atlanta Arms. A 147 gr bullet at 875 fps is way softer than factory 115.

Agreed. I told him that at the same PF the recoil would be different. With 115's being sharper. I also told him that there is a big difference between a 147 @ 148PF as opposed to say 130PF.

He is thinking about reloading, and asking questions, which is good.

Until then, I'll suggest he try AA's 147's.

Thanks

Tell him to send me a few thousand rounds of each to test in my G34.

Will do ;)

Seriously, if he shoots better with the 115's...he should shoot the 115's.

Yep. I guess if he's going to shoot factory, he'll need to test different brands and styles.

In the meantime, shoot what works.

I'm guessing his barrel may not like the 147's above supersonic vel. That's why I suggested he try them in his G17. Does that make any sense, or am I way off :blink:

Tell him to send me a few thousand rounds of each to test in my G34.

Will do ;)

Seriously, if he shoots better with the 115's...he should shoot the 115's.

Yep. I guess if he's going to shoot factory, he'll need to test different brands and styles.

In the meantime, shoot what works.

I'm guessing his barrel may not like the 147's above supersonic vel. That's why I suggested he try them in his G17. Does that make any sense, or am I way off :blink:

Hey Guys,

I am the friend bill is refering to. I probably should elaborate on this some. What i was trying to say was that i am shooting better groups with 115 vs 147 because i am obtaining a quicker sight picture with the lighter stuff. The gun shoots fine with either ammo.

I have shot alot of dannys ammo and currently have an order in route. this should fix my problem, as atlanta arms ammo crono's a lot less in velocity than the federal 147 does.

I have heard the same comment from alot of guys about this very same thing. The 115's are moving the slide alot quicker there for i am getting back on target quicker. Does this make sense?. I really can't tell any differance in felt recoil between the two, so i am going to shoot the 115's till dannys ammo gets here.

Thanks for the help guys.

Any ideas why this is? I have cronographed the ammo and the 147 grain "

subsonic " round is really not subsonic out of my g34. Its comming out at

about 1007-1011 fps.

Sound is 1116 fps at sea level at 70 degrees f. So your ammo is subsonic. I'm gonna agree with your friend though, I know the conventional wisdom is heavy bullets for limited I allways liked the feel and seem to do better with the lighter bullets at the same powerfactor, In general I like the lightest bullet that will make power factor while staying subsonic.

Hey Guys,

I am the friend bill is refering to. I probably should elaborate on this some. What i was trying to say was that i am shooting better groups with 115 vs 147 because i am obtaining a quicker sight picture with the lighter stuff. The gun shoots fine with either ammo.

I have shot alot of dannys ammo and currently have an order in route. this should fix my problem, as atlanta arms ammo crono's a lot less in velocity than the federal 147 does.

I have heard the same comment from alot of guys about this very same thing. The 115's are moving the slide alot quicker there for i am getting back on target quicker. Does this make sense?. I really can't tell any differance in felt recoil between the two, so i am going to shoot the 115's till dannys ammo gets here.

luxor,

I hope you don't mind me posting, or asking about your situation here. These guy's are good, and can help with a lot of different problems. I didn't know you'd be here.

Take'er away, and good luck

Did you get the directions to Fredericksburg I sent?

Hey Guys,

luxor,

I hope you don't mind me posting, or asking about your situation here. These guy's are good, and can help with a lot of different problems. I didn't know you'd be here.

Take'er away, and good luck

Did you get the directions to Fredericksburg I sent?

Bill,

No i don't mind at all. Guys bill is a good guy and has helped me out on a lot of gun related problems.

I have been shooting for quite a while but am new to uspsa. I usally shoot idpa, three gun, ect... So again thanks for all the help.

luxor.

I also find that I have better groups when I shoot ammo with a quicker recoil "impulse". I prefer a slap not a push and then the sights settle faster. I've also noticed some barrels just don't like certain bullets (which I thought was BS when I first starting shooting)

As the old saying goes "If it feels good..............Do it!" Shoot what works for you.

I also find that I have better groups when I shoot ammo with a quicker recoil "impulse". I prefer a slap not a push and then the sights settle faster. I've also noticed some barrels just don't like certain bullets (which I thought was BS when I first starting shooting)

As the old saying goes "If it feels good..............Do it!" Shoot what works for you.

THIS IS WHAT I FOUND. THE 147'S WILL GIVE YOU A SLOWER BUT GREATER MUZZEL RAISE. THE 115'S WILL GIVE YOU A SNAPPIER RECOIL BUT THE MUZZLE RAISE WILL BE LESS. YOU NEED TO FIND OUT WHICH TYPE OF RECOIL SUITS YOU THE BEST.

Hello: If you change the recoil spring you can change the muzzle flip as well. You may try different recoil springs till you find the right one for you. On my STI I use two different springs for major or minor loads and also different bullet weights. Buy some springs and have some fun. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I am with Pharaoh Bender......

I just switched to a DOH in Limited because I got the sensation I was going to knock the gun from my Ghost. It is probably just perceptual...but on the other hand I go at the gun harder making me maybe faster......I just shot stage 2 at the Area 6 faster than Shannon Smith.....of course he beat me by one point. And I am no GM. Many people like snappier guns.....a good happy medium for you may be the 125's if you are going to reload. Because I too do not really care for the feel of the 147's!