Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Sanding A Glock Trigger Safety Pd. Legal?

Hello all not new to the forum, I have used much of the information here, but first post. I hate to create a new topic for first posts, but my trigger safety is bugging me to the point of getting rid of the gun. The issue of the Glock trigger safety having a sharp center ridge and not flushing up to the trigger face is common to some of the newer glock triggers. Many have said to get used to it, but I can shoot my other carry Glock all day (500+ rounds) and not even notice the little safety bar (bone stock trigger). Why should I put up with this for a comp. gun? The fix is to sand/ buff the trigger safety flush to the trigger face so it does not dig into your finger. Problem solved.

My question, which does not seem to be clear after reading all of the posts that I could find, is if this "fix" would be considered an external modification and be a violation of production rules.

Any ideas would be welcome.

No sorry you can't sand it for production, that would be external mod. What you can do though is buy a new smooth face trigger and drop it in. They are like $12. Check out lone wolf distributors.

I'm not sure if this was what you were asking, but another option would be to swap the triggers between the guns if you like one over the other. Anyway hope i helped.

Edited by kamann

Get Robin Taylors book:

The Glock in Competition, 2nd Edition. It's a must have for a Glock fan, especially if they're new at it.

Plastic will wear, accelerate at your own risk.

I am under the impression that many Glock Production Competitors clean up that trigger safety.

Don't go too far though, or the safety will be adversly affected.

I had the CRO at the Chrono station ask me about my Glock trigger safety. He thought I might have made an external modification to it. I hadn't. It was an older trigger that I had 10 ka-trillion rounds on. I think some of the older trigger safeties didn't stick out so much ??

I had the CRO at the Chrono station ask me about my Glock trigger safety. He thought I might have made an external modification to it. I hadn't. It was an older trigger that I had 10 ka-trillion rounds on. I think some of the older trigger safeties didn't stick out so much ??

A8 last year?

Don't ask, don't tell.

Just don't get silly. ;)

Exactly.

Unless you butcher the thing, disable the safety or leave obvious modifications how in the world would someone say it's been modified. Without engineering spec's and a micrometer it's not an obvious thing.

Don't ask, don't tell.

Just don't get silly. ;)

Exactly.

Unless you butcher the thing, disable the safety or leave obvious modifications how in the world would someone say it's been modified. Without engineering spec's and a micrometer it's not an obvious thing.

You would know...and it is still illegal. If you're okay with that, knock yourself out.

It is easier to beg forgivness than ask permission. But you already asked so you are screwed either way.

I would go with the smooth trigger you can get pretty much anywhere. like was said in previous posts. They help alot on the trigger bite.

Don't ask, don't tell.

Just don't get silly. ;)

Exactly.

You would know...and it is still illegal. If you're okay with that, knock yourself out.

Yes, absolutely, I would know and I would be fine with it.

It's a sharp edge you want to smooth, not devising a way to load and fire 11 rounds but convince everyone you only loaded and fired 10.

For the record, the trigger in my G34 is stock, as it came from the factory. It is not sharp. BUT if it was bothering me, I would certainly give it a pass with a bit of polishing cloth. Some are worse than others.

Edited by GeorgeInNePa

Thanks for all of the input. I do not want to violate any rules. If I did I wouldn't have anything to blame for my shooting abilities. :blink: I got into this sport to improve my skills and have fun with an inexpensive setup simular to my carry gun (production)- not to get to the nationals and smoke TGO. I find myself more concerned with why my finger is getting gouged than on learning or much less having fun.

The issue I am having is with a smooth trigger. My other older carry Glock has the ribbed or competition trigger and is fine.

I spoke to Glockmeister and was told that "many of the newer Glock triggers have this issue." They also stated that it didn't come up with the older Glocks. Has there been a change in the trigger design in the last few years or just less attention to detail or relax of spec.? It seems to effect both the newer ribbed and smooth triggers. It seems to be a finishing or molding issue with the little safety bar. I have no doubt that there is a person that buffs all of the little plastic parts and was having a bad day.

Has there actually been a ruling on this? Or is everyone jumping to the assumtion that this would be considered an external modification. I would have considered painting the gun an external modification until I was told that it wasn't.

I find it difficult to believe that one could not be allowed to bring the gun to a simular condition to others within factory spec. How would this violate even the spirit of the rules or give any competative edge?

This is one that you might want to run past Amidon. I'd suggest saying that it is 'minor detailing on the face of the trigger" and that it doesn't change the trigger position...safety function...or anything or the like.

It might get approved...especially if it is pointed out that this is an issues with some of the newer Glocks, but not the older ones.

It's called flash. It's not normal; it's a molding defect. It occurs primarily due to aging tooling and improper processing. Removing it is totally kosher IMO. It's just like removing the burrs that Glock now leaves on the bottom side of the cocking serrations. Both are obnoxious, not supposed to be there, and deserve to be removed without some Unfrozen Caveman Range Lawyer getting his panties in a wad over it.

The pictures sure help a lot. You still might check with someone a little higher, but I think I'd sand it a little. This sport relies mostly on the integrity of the members, so we all need to do our part. The rules are there for a reason. If you like the ribbed trigger face, I have a new one laying around from a G27 I'd trade for your smooth one if you like. Send me a PM if you are interested.

I wish the pics were clearer, but it appears to be almost a parting-line mismatch. It's tough to tell. Regardless, this is one of the things I hate about Production Division. You can't fix obvious flaws to make the pistols comfortable to shoot without fear of the IPSC-Patented Rubber Glove Treatment.

I think the best policy on this type of stuff is the ol' Clinton "Don't ask. Don't Tell." If you're smart about how you make the changes on the plastic, nobody will know.

You can't fix obvious flaws to make the pistols comfortable to shoot without fear of the IPSC-Patented Rubber Glove Treatment.

I asked a similar question of Vince Pinto about a year ago and he told me removal of flash or burrs was legal in IPSC as minor detailing. Did you get different information?

I also find it hard to believe you couldn't legally do the same under USPSA rules!

I wish the pics were clearer, but it appears to be almost a parting-line mismatch. It's tough to tell. Regardless, this is one of the things I hate about Production Division. You can't fix obvious flaws to make the pistols comfortable to shoot without fear of the IPSC-Patented Rubber Glove Treatment.

I think the best policy on this type of stuff is the ol' Clinton "Don't ask. Don't Tell." If you're smart about how you make the changes on the plastic, nobody will know.

+1

See post #6.

;)

You can't fix obvious flaws to make the pistols comfortable to shoot without fear of the IPSC-Patented Rubber Glove Treatment.

I asked a similar question of Vince Pinto about a year ago and he told me removal of flash or burrs was legal in IPSC as minor detailing. Did you get different information?

I also find it hard to believe you couldn't legally do the same under USPSA rules!

I'm not saying that Dearest Uncle Vincent ruled on anything. I'm just talking about the climate of "I'm a gonna get ya," which is prompting people to come on the internet and ask "permission" to do what under normal circumstances would be the thunderingly obvious. Which leads to debate and heated tempers....and now....gun inspections in IPSC.

If someone needs to make a minor mod in order keep from bleeding/tearing skin/etc. my advice is to make the change, do a good job of camoflaging it, and don't ask or tell anybody. If somebody at the range has more time to inspect guns than help setup, teardown, or tape/reset then hand them back their match fee and tell them not to let the gate hit them in the ass on their way back home.

Just my opinion...

• 2 weeks later...

There is a universal cure for all sharp edges, and for untimely releases of bolts on semi-auto shotguns and rifles: gloves! Get some thin shooting gloves that you can wear all summer. You should be able to find some on sale. Otherwise, substitute batting or golf gloves.