Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bore Cleaning...or Not Cleaning

ATMester

I read most of the topics-posts on this subject here, and on the 1911 forum, also read

Schuemann's article.

Worked out pretty well on my .22 the bore just got shinier and shinier. Nothing but bullets thru the barrel. After 25000 rounds the only reason I cleaned it cause I sold it.

All the .22 ammo I shot was lead....

My .45 is a different story tho.

I tried not cleaning it (I like the idea :D ) but lead kept building up mostly in the first 1/3 close to the chamber. It looked really bad between the grooves - actually I had a hard time finding the grooves... so I went ahead and cleaned the bore, with Chore Boy and Hoppe's 9. Took an hour of brushing....

Now I regularly :wacko: clean the bore again after about every 500 rounds. (match + one practice session) and oil it with FP 10.

How does it supposed to work out I mean not cleaning the bore. My .45 just don't wanna cooperate....Am I missing something???

For the record I shoot Precision 230's and Clays in a Kimber. Going with Bear Creek 230's soon. (better price)

Any help - opinion appreciated Guys,

Edited by TheHun

This is conjecture, of course, but it sounds to me like the slugs are a bit small for the bore. Lubrication issues usually appear near the muzzle with cast bullets. If you are using a FCD you might opt for a simple taper crimp die and see if your leading issues resolve themselves. 'Course, the coated bullets may present a different issue.

I understand the concepts of not cleaning a 22 bore, but the match bullets deposit a lot of lube in the bore with those little boolets which assists with accuracy and longevity. I suppose one could just not clean a 45, but it isn't all that time consuming and it does keep moisture from pitting the steel under the deposits of lead and grime.

My experience with the MasterBlaster boolets is that there is some metal deposit in the grooves, which brushes out pretty easily at about 500 rounds. If it has any stubbornness, I'll apply some Shooters Choice Lead solvent and a bit of RemClean abrasive paste to finish the job.

You might consider a different powder with your 45's as some slower numbers are more compatible with cast slugs.

FWIW.

Shooting a mag of jacketed ammo through the gun at the end of each session of cast lead bullets will strip virtually all of that lead build-up from the bore.

Some people get all hysterical when I recommend this, and repeat the old lines about "that creates extra pressure" and "you're ironing the lead into the barrel".....that's all complete nonsense. Most of them are trying to sell you something.

Shooting jacketed stripper loads through the gun works great, takes the leading right out the front of the barrel, and is much easier on the barrel than all that scrub-scrub-scrubbing with brushes and abrasives.

I have nothing to sell and I tried to use copper jacketed bullets to remove lead from my pin gun with no luck.

I now use a Lewis Lead remover for most of my duties. If it gets too bad, a half and half mixtures of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide will cut the lead out. Soak the barrel for 10 mins. then rinse, and run your brush through a few times.

Buddy

Notice how I said

at the end of each session

Do this regularly and the bore will never get caked up with so much lead you have to break out the wire screens and the harsh chemicals!

Carmoney...You missed my point. I was not saying that it is impossible to clean your bore as suggested. I said shooting the jacketed bullets, to clean your bore, didn't work for me. I have used other methods and got positive results. With no damage to the bore.

There are alternatives if you find that the things that work for others don't work for you.

I am sorry if I offended you, it was unintentional.

Buddy

I am sorry if I offended you, it was unintentional.

No offense taken! :) So you're saying that after shooting jacketed bullets through the gun, the leading was still there?? If so, I'd say that's very unusual.

I managed to crack the forcing cone on my Dad's Colt Trooper trying to "clean" the lead out with jackets. :(

Some of those older models (including plain ol' Smith K-frames) were known for having that problem anyway. That was one of the fundamental reasons S&W introduced the L-frame.

There should never be so much leading in the barrel that shooting jacketed bullets at moderate velocities would create enough extra pressure to damage the gun. If the leading is that bad, the bullets are way too soft.

Edited by Carmoney

Wil is talking about barrels that shoot primarily jacketed bullets. The easy way to get lead out is to use a copper pot scrubber and Kroil. Cut the pot scrubber into strips and wrap it around a nylon brush. Put Kroil in the barrel and let it sit for a couple of hours ( overnight if really bad). Then run the brush with the pot scrubber material thru it a couple of times and it is as clean as new.

I do not clean my barrels that shoot only jacketed bullets. I have used the above method for years with the 45s I shoot lead in and have always had excellent results. I have also found that if you shoot jacketed bullets at the end of a shooting session you eliminate any lead build up and don't need to clean the barrel.

I have shot many thousands of Precision bullets through my .45 and have yet to clean the barrel....... It appears to be highly polished and is very clean.

Wanna switch barrels? B)

Anyways what powder you use?

I think I kinda understand that the non cleaning method works best with jacketed bullets.

The Precision (what I shoot) bullets are coated so theoretically they not supposed to lead.

I was thinking about it a little more, if I'm correct the Clays (the powder what I use with the Precision bullets) is a fast burning power, probably it melts the coating upon ignition and there you go.

You Guys tell me if you have similar experience with Clays and Precision.

I have shot many thousands of Precision bullets through my .45 and have yet to clean the barrel....... It appears to be highly polished and is very clean.

Wanna switch barrels? B)

Anyways what powder you use?

I think I kinda understand that the non cleaning method works best with jacketed bullets.

The Precision (what I shoot) bullets are coated so theoretically they not supposed to lead.

I was thinking about it a little more, if I'm correct the Clays (the powder what I use with the Precision bullets) is a fast burning power, probably it melts the coating upon ignition and there you go.

You Guys tell me if you have similar experience with Clays and Precision.

I know a couple of friends of mine that are having problems with moly/lead in the barrel shooting Major 40 and bear creeks with Tight group. I didn't have the problem with my .40s but did the other day with my .45 and clays. Just let the barrel soak if it gets bad or I use the jacketed method.....

I have only experienced the moly build up in glock barrels with precisions. Bore snake works well with the rest of my guns at then end of a match with one swipe. I did use the jacket cleaning method on the Glock barrels and it seemed to work well.