Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is That Too Much Gun?

LadyinBlue

This video was sent to me this morning.

I'm wondering if the shooter may have suffered burns to his left hand as a result of the position he chose to place it.

I'm also wondering if this was followed by an AD or would a hammer block keep it from firing when it hit the ground...possibly on the hammer.

I know it's a "handgun" but shouldn't you hold this cannon with 2 hands?

This gun would not be my first choice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lzri8dn7p0]

Edited by LadyinBlue

That looks like a Thompson Contender which is a single shot pistol. It has a strong receiver and is used to shoot rifle rounds. There is no action or cylinder for any flame to burn him unless the gun actually blew up which is hard to tell. My guess is the guy just couldn't hold onto it. I saw the aftermath of a guy who clocked himself in the forehead with a .50 Desert Eagle just because he had no idea of the recoil he was about to experience.

Seem to recall an incident related to me by a friend: one of our more brilliant fellow citizens brought his brand new pistol grip-only pump shotguns to the indoor range, along with some full power 3" magnum slugs, and a spectator or two.

The range staff caught on quickly to the fact that this guy had little to no idea what he was doing, so after failing to talk the guy into buying sole low recoil rounds, they demonstrated to him how best (under the circumstances) to hold the shotgun at full arms' length and actually aim the gun, and above all, hold on tight because the recoil would be fierce. Guy seemed to catch on, so they let him pay and out he went to show off.

You guessed it: the very first shot went off with the guy holding the gun right up in front of his face about an inch from his mouth with both arms loosely bent. The recoil knocked out at least one tooth - which ended up on the range floor. Guy left soon after and later tried to file a civil suit against the range until his lawyer was provided with a copy of the in-store video showing the range staff trying to sell the guy lower powered ammo and then demonstrating the proper technique to the guy. Some people.

Oh..I see the problem....his stance is all jacked up. I am sure he wouldn't have had the pistol fly off the freaking range :o if he would just get a little weight (pun intended) on the balls of his feet. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I'd heard that this was a home gunsmithing job where this retard remanufactured a revolver in an exotic big game cartridge. Something like a .570 Nyati or something crazy. He's lucky that he didn't come "face to face" with it.

Edited by gmshtr

That looks like a Thompson Contender which is a single shot pistol. It has a strong receiver and is used to shoot rifle rounds. There is no action or cylinder for any flame to burn him unless the gun actually blew up which is hard to tell. My guess is the guy just couldn't hold onto it. I saw the aftermath of a guy who clocked himself in the forehead with a .50 Desert Eagle just because he had no idea of the recoil he was about to experience.

Thanks for that info...I thought it was a revolver but it was not all that clear.

My confusion has been put to rest.

That guy makes gun owners look bad.

~Nanci~

Well it must have been some real big bore caliber cartridge in that one. I have shot a handgun chambered for .308 Win and the recoil was not even close to that. On the contrary it was quite manageable but it did hurt a bit for a while in my palm.

Where do all those crazy weirdos come from and why can't they stick to aggressive knitting or some other less dangerous activities?

For those wondering, the gun was chambered in 600 Nitro Express. A round often used for bringing down dangerous game such as elephants, in Africa.

According to Wikipedia:

Bullet Weight: 900 grains (58.3 g)

At muzzle:

Velocity: 1950 ft/s (590 m/s)

Energy: 7591 ft·lbf (10.29 kJ)

At 50 yards (45 m):

Velocity: 1794 ft/s (547 m/s)

Energy: 6427 ft·lbf (8.713 kJ)

Time of Flight: 0.08 s

At 100 yards (90 m):

Velocity: 1646 ft/s (502 m/s)

Energy: 5413 ft·lbf (7.339 kJ)

Time of Flt; 0.17 s

Joe W.

That's not the owner/builder shooting in the video, I've seen video of the guy that built it and he can hold onto the thing. The guy was posting on a forum a few years ago about it, I just can't remember which one. I'm going to go look, it was some interesting reading.