Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do I Really Need A Lee Fcd For 9mm Minor?

glock_556

Currently using Dillon carbide dies in a 550. Do I really need a Lee FCD or will my Dillon crimp die suffice?

Well I load 9mm Major, and I only use Dillon Dies. I do Case Gauge all rounds. Some fail, usualy because the BASE of the Brass is expanded. The Lee FCD I have does not fix that. I do reload some of my fired brass, and once I've culled out the initial ones that did not gauge, I don't have the same problem, and again I'm loading Major. I think you'd have even less problems since you are loading minor.

So I'd say use what you have, and Case Gauge them just to be sure!

Carl

Nope. Unless you're shooting a super-tight match barrel, you'll be fine. My loads run flawlessly through my three 9x19s with factory barrels (two CZ-75s and a Beretta 92) and I use Lee dies with a standard taper crimp die.

If you can adjust your dies properly you will NEVER EVER need the FCD. If you can't adjust the dies or choose not to take the time to get things set up right the FCD might be your best friend.

I DO think the Lee sizer is a better mousetrap than the Dillon sizer, it gets down further on the case and sizes the case more completely than anything else I have found. I go one more and use the Undersize Lee die, it gets all the way to the bottom and creates plenty of bullet pull for consistentcy as well as making my ammo as resistant to setback as it can possibly get.

I don't think you HAVE to have one.

I only use them because I saw the results of an oversized bullet once and thought to myself "this FCD could be cheap insurance". So while I never had a problem in 30 years of reloading, after spending a whopping $12 on each FCD I'm still problem free. At the very least I can say they don't seem to cause any problems.

Worse case is they are not needed and just add extra effort to the loading process.

My motto is still "this FCD could be cheap insurance".

Short answer: Nope!

Longer answer: I have been loading nine by for a long time with nothing but Dillon dies and have a whole lotto' rounds under the bridge without wanting, or needing one and see no need to change.

I have found no advantage to using the Lee FCD. It will not do any better job, on badly bulged 'Glock' cases, than the Dillon. Some cases are bulged so bad they're just throwaways. I'll stick with Dillon.

I agree that it is not an absolute necessity. However, for a $14 investment I find it to be great insurance for every caliber I reload including minor 9mm.

The problem I see with the FCD is that it crushes the bullet after it is seated in the case, the bullet stays crushed and the case springs back a little. Ask yourself if you want this happening, think about it ;-)

George

That makes sense, but I've never seen any evidence of it such as bullet setback.

bomadera

For bulged brass, I use a "U" die. After the round is loaded seems to be too late to address brass issues.

Gonna' mostly manifest as potential accuracy reductions compaqred to what could be gotten if the bullet wasn't mauled pre-barrel. If your cases are sized right, setback shouldn't be an issue in most neener brass. Mixed lot brass can really open up the SD when crushed in a full length crimper as one setting is not correct for all brass lots!

Thanks for the clarification.

I've been pretty lucky, but if I can hit the upper A zone at 25 yards I'm happy, so I guess accuracy can be a different thing for different people.

Bullet setback is just something I've heard from folks here and there.