Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&p Or Xd

texaschase

I don't have small hands, but the more I handle the M&P the more I like it...it would seem to be better for small hands, but only you can really decide which feels better to you. If I were buying a gun now for Production I'd go with the M&P over the Xd and either over Glocks (which I'm stuck with in real life!).

I don't know if what they say about small hands is true or not but I have small hands as well. I've been shooting the M&P9 since my Dept issued it to me in August. I love this gun! I haven't had any problems with hand size issues (or anything else for that matter). Shoots like a dream and trigger work is easily done.

I'd go with the M&P over the XD. I have a S&W Sigma which (to me) feels a lot like the M&P and I love it! I have medium to large hands and the XD is a little bit of a stretch for me. I need a mag release extension to make it really nice whereas the Sigma is perfect as is. Just my 2 cents.

cheers,

joe

Both are great guns and in the end it will all be subject to which you shoot better. Some pros and cons:

The M&P has the nice feature of interchangeable backstraps, thus you can somewhat "play" with the fit to your liking.

M&P parts are more readily available than the XD's.

I believe the M&P has a bit lower bore axis (less flip?).

As of today, you can't get a M&P with a 5" barrel, so the XD has the advantage there with the longer sight radius.

XD mags are cheaper than the Smith's.

Shoot them both before you commit to a purchase. You'll be very well served by any of the two.

Enjoy!

B)

Just recently purchased an M&P and really like the feel of the gun. I have shot XD's for the last two years in Limited 10 and have had problems with their durability. I have two XD's and have broken the trigger bar and trigger bar spring I think it is in both guns. Multiple times in at least one of the guns.

The company says the new parts have fixed the problem and that it won't happen again. I will not carry an XD for self defense purposes. Hoping the M&P will be more durable. I like the XD for the most part. If they would not have broken so many times I would like them a lot more.

Edited by RoyceLowellPatton

+1 on the MP. I was able to get the trigger sweetened up with about 30 minutes of work, parts are availble from Brownells.

The mags get sucked right into the magwell, this is the fastest reloading gun I have ever shot, including my 1911s.

The stock sights are not that great but there are now lots of good aftermarket ones availible.

My MP40 is now my favorite gun. Looking for a cheap price on a compact now.

Gringop

If I'm shooting in production or L10, is there any advantage of .40 vs. 9mm?

Thanks for the replies so far.

PD .40 advantage:

- bigger holes for those border line hits

PD 9mm advantage:

- cheaper ammo

Lim-10 .40 advantage:

- major scoring

Lim-10 9mm advantage:

- less recoil for faster second shot due to minor PF

I have an XD-9 service 4" I shoot in production. I got it in February and have about 3500 rounds through it and haven't had a single problem with the gun. It fits my hand and shoots great. Hopefuly it won't develop reliability issues the longer I shoot it. But, so far so good.

Good luck

William

I have both, prefer the M&P over the XD. I have an issue with the grip safety, my grip is high and sometimes I don't get the grip safety fully depressed, and then I melt! M&P is great for carry, less sharp angles and slimmer profile.

if you are even thinking about competing in limited-10, definetly go with the 40! you do not want to be stuck shooting minor in limited-10. also you can shoot a downloaded 40 in production division with no competitive disadvantage whatsoever compared to the 9mm (b/c you can only load 10 in the mag anyway). so with 40 you can play in both divisions.

Title says it all. Just looking for opinions.

Go shoot both pistols. Your hands and your recoil perceptions will tell you which way to go.

I'd bet if you were serious about purchasing one or the other, an M&P will be in your future.

More to the story...

I've shot an XD (.45) and didn't really like it. Just didn't aim well for me.

I've handled the M&P as of yesterday and like the feel of it. However, on the one I handled, the slide seemed loose on the frame - particularly at the end of the muzzle. I asked the guy behind the counter about it and he said that most of the polymer pistols are like that. :huh:

The XD's have a higher bore axis which can contribute to more muzzle flip. The M&P sits lower in the hand which can contribute to less muzzle flip. I wouldn't worry about the play on the M&P. After all, it isn't a precision fitted 1911....

Check around in your area at ranges to see if you can rent one and try it for yourself.

I think you'd be impressed with the S&W pistol.

Do you reload?

Yes, I do. I find it therapeutic :D

I've "heard", on various websites, guys complain that the .40 is a little snappy. Snappy as in a sharp snappy recoil instead of solid .45 recoil. I'm sure this depends on the gun and the load you're shooting but has anyone found this to be true?

Haven't quite made up my mind whether to go 9 or .40.

I think you can learn a lot about the long-term durability of guns by talking to the guys who man the counter at any large gun shop that also has a rental case. They get to see how the stuff in the rental case holds up to thousands of rounds of ammo so they know what lasts and what doesn't. From talking to these guys, getting their feedback, I have to say I wouldn't own an XD, not for anything serious, anyway. Literally every XD in the rental case at the local gun shop has experienced major - as in, the gun no longer worked and had to be sent back to Springfield - parts breakage.

Just a few weeks ago at the local IDPA match, one of the guys on my squad was firing an XD. He told me, "I love my XDs. I own three. Of course two of them have had to go back to Springfield for broken parts. But I love my XDs...."

I think you can learn a lot about the long-term durability of guns by talking to the guys who man the counter at any large gun shop that also has a rental case. They get to see how the stuff in the rental case holds up to thousands of rounds of ammo so they know what lasts and what doesn't. From talking to these guys, getting their feedback, I have to say I wouldn't own an XD, not for anything serious, anyway. Literally every XD in the rental case at the local gun shop has experienced major - as in, the gun no longer worked and had to be sent back to Springfield - parts breakage.

Just a few weeks ago at the local IDPA match, one of the guys on my squad was firing an XD. He told me, "I love my XDs. I own three. Of course two of them have had to go back to Springfield for broken parts. But I love my XDs...."

Very interesting... I just went to Gander Mt. and handled both of them and I have to tell you, the XD felt and looked like it was more solid and built to last. The M&P's slide was loose to the point where it moved away from the frame almost 1/8". AND that's the second M&P I've seen do this.

Has anybody else had problems w/ XD's.

Thanks