Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Micah's Range Diary

Micah

3/27/07

-Full dryfire session

Today was flip-flop schedule day that started at work early, and after class ended in dryfire. Excellent session! I would workout tonight...but I kind of f'd up my back today restraining a rather L A R G E "client" ;)

So I have been reading Lanny Bassham's book, and it hits me: I have forgotten how to win this game mentally. I have been negatively reinforcing habits, and focusing on the wrong aspects of concentration. Tomorrow (another 5am work day and class) I will complete and share with you my new Directive Affirmation. It's time that I rebuild my self image circle and get back to the shooting :D

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3/28/07

-Full dryfire session

Another long day that began at 4am...I am still a little too stiff (read:wussy) to hit the eliptical today, but I have tomorrow off and will make it a top priority.

Dryfire was excellent today. Although a bit painful, I am now regarding every little aspect of practice as positive. Re-reading Lanny's book has given me the focus that I need to kick ass this season. I am still working on my Directive Affirmation....

I am thrilled to say that I got a slot to Nationals!!! It's gonna be a blast (not to be confused with Summer Blast, which will also be groovy :D A day off tomorrow means extra practice. Tomorrows entry will be all inclusive. ;)

PB, your diary is an inspiration! Keep at it!

Miami results???

Thanks for the praise brother! I'm just ready to win. As for the MRPC results...they are still being tallied. Volunteer staff work at their own pace...and as Keen reminded me yesterday, they would be MORE than happy to let me do the scoresheets :P I do expect to win my division, however.

PB,

A lot of Lanny's stuff is counter-intuitive for us...and the sport is so negatively charged that it's difficult to stay focused and positive.

Do you have a good mental program? That is for me the key to good match shooting and getting the best mental performance.

You've been working hard enough in practice to work easy at the match...and you'll never know how good you are until you shoot your potential at a match.

Some keys:

Shoot without emotion...do not judge any performance during the match

Decide what's important (points) and let that be your mental picture. You must believe it 100% or it won't work.

Never think in terms of speed. This is tough for up and comers and causes a lot of inconsistency

Ignore any thoughts of results or placement. You can think about winning anyplace but the match. At the match you only have the shot in front of you.

You're gonna love the new book. eventually. :)

SA

3/29/07

-Jogged one hour

-Two full dryfire sessions

A day off and beautiful weather to boot! It was so nice I felt it sinful not to jog today. Excellent workout and I am impressed with my improved mobility and ease of movement.

I have been deep in thought over the restructuring of my mental game. I have allowed myself to get bad during training, and this has translated (as seen in the videos) to negativity during stages in real competition. Sunday was the last time that I will allow this negativity to persist in matches as well as practice. I will improve my self image by using the Directive Affirmation that I have created with the aid of Steve Anderson and Lanny Bassham: (note: the name of the match will be changed upon the completion of the match mentioned in step 1. This will allow me to ALWAYS have another goal to replace the goals that I have just achieved)

Step 1: Define the goal. To be the top Production shooter at the South Carolina Sectional

Step 2: Set the time limit. April 15th, 2007

Step 3: List the personal pay-value for reaching this goal

1) I have taken the next step toward winning my Division at the USPSA Nationals

2) I enjoy the recognition of being one of the top shooters in my Area

3) I love being the best at what I do

Step 4: Outline the plan for your goal

1) I run my Pharaoh Mental Program before each stage and practice session

2) I reinforce every great drill, stage, and match by saying "It's like me to be this

smooth", I record my performance analysis daily on my range diary, and

I mentally rehearse shooting this match every evening

3) I train an average of 10 hours a week through dryfiring at home, livefiring

at the range, and other drills that can be preformed at work

4) I perform cardiovascular exercise an average of 6 hours a week

5) I read and visualize my Directive Affirmations daily

Step 5: Write a Directive Affirmation

4/15/07. I am the top Production shooter at the South Carolina Sectional. I have taken the next step toward winning my Division at the USPSA Nationals. I enjoy the recognition of being one of the top shooters in my Area, and love being the best at what I do. I always run my PMP before each stage and practice session; reinforce my excellent performance in drills, stages, and matches by saying "It's like me to be this smooth". I record my performance analysis daily on my range diary, and I mentally rehearse shooting this match every evening. I train 10 hours a week through dry and livefire, improve my cardiovascular fitness with 6 hours a week of exercise, and I read and visualize my Directive Affirmations daily. I am the top Production shooter at the South Carolina Sectional.

PB,

You're gonna love the new book. eventually. :)

SA

I know I will brother! I am very fortunate to have you as a resource for continual feedback and guidance. Thank you very much Steve :D

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

Hey PB - here's something you might want to dwell upon. At this past weekend's DTC, one of my stated goals was to win A class limited. After my pistol went nuts up, obviously that goal was no longer viable. I had a long talk with Phil Strader on the way to the cars after finishing Saturday. I asked him how you handle working so long and hard on a particular goal (1st place) only to have it killed off by a little bitty spring. Emotionally, I was really on the ropes after all, I knew my goal was not possible so why even bother showing up and shooting Sunday's stages??

Phil's answer was that the "old Phil" used to worry about that kind of stuff, but the new Phil was worried only about shooting well. He asked if I'd been shooting to my ability and when I replied that yeah, when things were working, I was. Long story short, Phil recommended that my goal should not be a specific place or finish - but that instead it should be an excellent shooting performance. Excellent shooting performances bring victories - whether they're on the podium or not.... Best thing I got out of the weekend and I have changed my goals accordingly.

Food for thought.

I see what you are saying Fish. Initially my goal was to make Master. After better understanding what this sport truely is, that goal has been placed on the shelf. I will make master soon, but it need not be my main focus during competition. My Directive Affirmations are a work in progress, and by no means to be set in stone yet. Revisions will be made, but the overall theme is the same:

I will always compete to the top of my ability. When I do this, no matter who wins the trophy....can I lose?

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

I will always compete to the top of my ability. When I do this, no matter who wins the trophy....can I lose?

Exactly! I had a fellow that I compete here locally who shoots A class open. We're usually pretty close one way or the other. I jokingly told him the night before a match to make sure and bring his A game tomorrow.

His response will stick with me:

"To do less would be cheating myself and everyone else"

3/30/07

-One hour on the elliptical

-Full dryfire session

A return to my normal routine, I was able to workout at 8am this morning while watching the first hour to The DaVinci Code. I enjoyed the book, and actually am enjoying the movie as well. There was little surprise that Jean Reno was in it...I think that contractually he MUST be in ANY movie that needs someone French.

Dryfire today was excellent. As outlined in my Directive Affirmations, I reinforced the excellent runs and forgot the fumbled ones. I am going to finalize my Mental Program (which I call "Running my PiMP"-Pharaoh Mental Program ;) ). I will burn this into my subconscious throughout practicing so that I may utilize it on match day. The expectation is that this will give me the mental cues to reengage my smoothness and focus, whether I am in my den dryfiring, at a club match, or beginning my first stage at Nationals.

I now have all of the parts needed to build my backup gun to the identical specs of my competition gun. The only thing left is for Glock to give the range that I won at the certificate. I hope to have it before the South Carolina Sectional...but will not be alarmed if I do not.

One final note; I was pleased to see the results of the MRPC match that I shot this past Sunday. Just as I had anticipated, I won my division. That match is a milestone with me as it will be my last victory without my Directive Affirmation and mental program. From here on out, every match will be won through the perfect balance of my conscious (thoughts), subconscious (skills) and self-image (habits and attitudes).

The only thing left is for Glock to give the range that I won at the certificate. I hope to have it before the South Carolina Sectional...but will not be alarmed if I do not.
you want the gun or the cert by the SC match? i won a glock once and also chose a 34. i got the gun about 4 months after sending the certificate. apparently they were in between runs of 34s and didn't have any.

Ahhh, to win or to shoot well or both?

I was discussing this with Flex and also with an employee...

Some are driven by excellence, some need to win.

I have a book on Motorcycle Riding by Keith Code, and he states straight up: I was never a champion because I care more about riding well than about winning.

This reminded me of me.

Flex and I have won MANY local matches with less than stellar shooting, and we have shot well and placed well at bigger matches.

But to have a great performance and Win? That's the permanent grin.

Goal setting becomes tougher as we advance in class:

I'm a GM, now what? I gotta beat ___________ and _________, not to mention that french quack who owes me 2 bills or a mag tube!

The answer is what lanny Bassham told me during our interview for the book: Whatever trips your trigger!

IF you are going to set your sets on the domination of your sport (leatham) you need to be sure you have the opportunity to do it. ($$$$$$ and time)

You gonna go up against Max and Tilley with less than 500 rds of live fire a day? that'll be a good trick! (see what I mean?)

So I respectfully suggest you decide what's really important to you and what you are willing to commit to the sport for the anticipated pay value.

If they balance, then giddy-up! If they don't, they need to.

I love this thread, he reminds me of me 3 years ago...go get 'em tiger!

SA

3/31/07

-Full dryfire session

-RO Class!!!

I had the pleasure of participating in the first session of the RO class conducted by Gary Stevens today...although I did lose at "Deer Hunter 07" to FQHAMMER .45 <_<:D

After the class, I came home and dashed to the workout room. Another fast-as-hell hour brought to be my the second half of The Davinci Code. I had to up the incline on the machine today to keep my hr at the 70%-80% mark.

Dryfire tonight was nice and smooth. I am practicing now using my Directive Affirmation and my "PiMP" (Pharaoh Mental Program). Although I still need to read it off my card, the goal is to have it completely programmed into my subconscious and at my disposal at matches. Here's what it looks like:

• Point of Initiation

o Enter the box and clear the mind

• Point of Attitude

o Look at the visible targets and hear “Two alpha, two alpha…”

o Feel smoothness and control

o Smile outwardly and inward knowing that you are going to win this stage, and that you are the best Production shooter at the match

• Point of Direction

o Mentally run through the stage, seeing and feeling two perfect alphas on each target

• Point of Control (LAMR)

o Take a sight picture on the first target. Pull the trigger and feel what it is to have perfect trigger control

o Load the gun, and while looking at the magwell, know that every reload will be perfect and smooth on this stage

o Holster, and while leaving your strong hand on the gun, mentally rehearse the stage again with perfection and smoothness

• Focus (Are You Ready)

o Assume the starting position while taking a deep breath

o Focus on the first target and wait for the beep

Word doesn't convert that well onto the forums. The solid bullets are the steps, and the circles are parts of that step.

So I respectfully suggest you decide what's really important to you and what you are willing to commit to the sport for the anticipated pay value.

If they balance, then giddy-up! If they don't, they need to.

I love this thread, he reminds me of me 3 years ago...go get 'em tiger!

SA

Steve, I really cannot thank you enough for the feedback. I've been deep in thought over your last post and the pm's (I'll chew the fat with you next Saturday @ C-ville). I do not yet believe that I have the subconscious skills to win over the people that I listed to you...but I am on my way. Lanny practiced 5 hours a day, seven days a week for years before making the Olympic team. I practice an hour and change seven days a week...I would do more, but physically my hands and wrists can't take it, and my focus and attention are wiped when I am finished. I believe that finding that perfect balance, that "triad state" of mind, body, and spirit will be the key to the next level of my shooting.

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

4/1/07

-Full dryfire session

-RO Class

-MATCH!!!

What a great day for USPSA. Part two of the RO class was this morning. Mr. Stevens was kind enough to allow me to run the test stage first and dash out to Oxford to shoot a match!

Although I got there quite late, the MD (bless you Dave!!) allowed me to shoot the stages, running me himself through two of them. I was so happy to be a part of that match that my attitude was soaring. I ran my mental program on all stages, and am very satisfied with how I shot. For taking little time to check out the stages, I feel that my runs were smooth, and I was able to shoot a HUGE amount of A's. No one was around to take any film, and the results won't be out for a day or two, but I already feel that, regardless of the final scores, that I won that match. Just one more club match (Circleville) until the SC Sectional.

After the dash and shoot, I came home and had a vigorous workout in the gym while watching the first hour ofStealth (thanks KEEN!) Dryfire this afternoon was one of my best sessions ever. Smooth and precise today. The goal is to emulate that in every match, on demand.

What is Miamisburg's match .... a box of rox ??? :huh:

Does that mean you won't be helping me setup / tear down ? :(

I didn't think they would have a match on Easter Sunday. If they do though, I'll be there.

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

What is Miamisburg's match .... a box of rox ??? :huh:

Does that mean you won't be helping me setup / tear down ? :(

They have rocks there........I haven't seen any since last year. Now I know they have some mud laying here and there. Once its done it will be nice..........

Flyin40

4/1/07

-Full dryfire session

-RO Class

-MATCH!!!

What a great day for USPSA. Part two of the RO class was this morning. Mr. Stevens was kind enough to allow me to run the test stage first and dash out to Oxford to shoot a match!

Although I got there quite late, the MD (bless you Dave!!) allowed me to shoot the stages, running me himself through two of them. I was so happy to be a part of that match that my attitude was soaring. I ran my mental program on all stages, and am very satisfied with how I shot. For taking little time to check out the stages, I feel that my runs were smooth, and I was able to shoot a HUGE amount of A's. No one was around to take any film, and the results won't be out for a day or two, but I already feel that, regardless of the final scores, that I won that match. Just one more club match (Circleville) until the SC Sectional.

After the dash and shoot, I came home and had a vigorous workout in the gym while watching the first hour ofStealth (thanks KEEN!) Dryfire this afternoon was one of my best sessions ever. Smooth and precise today. The goal is to emulate that in every match, on demand.

But I was out until 4 AM, forgot half my stuff, had a bad attitude(kidding its really everything)RO'd the squad, had a miss and probably still won?

Oh and also you missed sitting in Oxford on a sidewalk patio having lunch and beer. You know Oxford home of Miami University, 79 degree weather and miniskirts. NOT exactly stealth but always more important to me than the match.

Edited by BSeevers

4/1/07

-Full dryfire session

-RO Class

-MATCH!!!

But I was out until 4 AM, forgot half my stuff, had a bad attitude(kidding its really everything)RO'd the squad, had a miss and probably still won?

Oh and also you missed sitting in Oxford on a sidewalk patio having lunch and beer. You know Oxford home of Miami University, 79 degree weather and miniskirts. NOT exactly stealth but always more important to me than the match.

+ a million.. Oh those legs today!

PB asked me to lock this thread for now. He wants to go private for a while.

CLOSED

***NOTE FROM MICAH***

After careful consideration, I began my range diary again. On 5/26/07, I decided to merge the old range diary with the new one.

I hope that this journal might prove to be of worth to people now and in the future.

Do not mistake understanding for realization, and do not mistake realization for liberation....

An old Tibetan saying, the same language that I have tattooed around my right wrist.

Many people have asked me why I made the decision to close my original range diary, and I will extend the same answer to you, as well as offer up the reason why I am opening a new one.

The range diary was something that is highly trumpeted by Brain Enos, Saul Kirsch, and Lanny Bassham. A year ago when I began dryfiring daily, I kept a paper journal to keep myself focused and accountable. When Brian opened up the online version, I saw it as an excellent medium where which I could attach multimedia files.

So the online diary began, and quickly people who I had never interacted with before were coming up to me at matches and contacting me via the web telling me that they were following along with me in my range diary. This, I thought to myself, was very groovy. I can show people like me who do not have the means to fire 10,000 rounds downrange a week that it is still possible to make Master.

I became absorbed in the diary. I felt like I had to add more content to validate the journal entry, when a straightforward "Dryfired and worked out" would have been satisfactory.

Then a good friend of mine spoke to me after a match and told me that all of the great books that I have read about Zen and the Zen of shooting were not being applied. I went home that night and looked at my match videos and reflected...he was absolutely right.

I asked Flex to close my diary so that I could think things through. I re-read the great books that I once swore by, and realigned my way of thinking and shooting. I recommitted my goal and value structure to this sport and the experiences behind it. This shouldn't be a "Diary of a madman questing for his M card", rather the story of a guy who loves a sport and just wants to improve.

Here are the new rules to my range diary:

1) I will continue to dryfire daily and work out 6-7 times a week. I really don't see a need to make a special journal entry if there simply isn't anything more to say about the day. If I have an "aha" moment, of course I will post it.

2) I have been all too negative about my shooting for all too long. From now on, all of my posts will be positive, and although I certainly welcome any feedback or comments from my Enos friends, if you have something to say that isn't positive, ask yourself why. Consequently, I will add match videos and whatnot, and the fact of the matter is that I might just have some mikes, no shoots, or errors in those videos. I have left those things at the range, and will not revisit them.

3) A follow up to #2...those of you that know me know that I am, in fact, full of crap, but am also modest. If you read something that I have said and think "Man, this Micah guy is in love with himself!", it is because I am building up my self image. Is there really any point to paying money to shoot an Area match thinking that you have no chance of competing well? (Thanks Lanny!)

Everything that follows is a result of dedication to daily dryfire practice, seeking balance mentally and physically, and the constant tutelage of my local Master/Grandmaster friends as well as those farther out. My only expectation from all of this is to make each day an opportunity to grow in mind and spirit. If the outcome from all of this is better shooting, than it is simply an additional benefit along my journey.

DVC,

Micah Barcelo

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

4/18/07

-Full dryfire session

-MATCH!

A great day to shoot in Circleville, it was my first experience shooting in the snow. I felt almost guilty that it snowed so hard for some shooters, yet as if my divine intervention, would stop momentarily for me :D

Here are three videos taken from the match.

th_DSCN0903.jpg

My little yelp of joy was due to the fact that I only had one extra round to work with. One extra round was all I needed ;) I also had a wonderful defining moment...between the poppers and the plates were two targets on the left and the right of the far barricade, hidden behind no shoots. I had intended on making my final shooting position more to the right so that I would have an easier shot on the right target, but that did not happen.

My sights rested on a tiny sliver of A zone on the right target, and I thought two things...

1)That's a TIGHT shot

2)I can make that shot easily! No need to move, I'll get my A hits right here ;)

I got my A hits right there ;)

th_DSCN0904.jpg

Another stage that pushed my round count to the limit, I was able to shoot it perfectly without the need for any extra shots (which would have translated to an additional reload). Starting on my stomach is something new to me...I feel that I did well with the starting position.

th_DSCN0905.jpg

Tomorrow I shoot a match at Miamisburg, and next weekend is the South Carolina Sectional! I'm looking forward to my first major match victory of the season :D

Edited by Pharaoh Bender