Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Case Feeder Not Pushing The Case All The Way To The Shell Plate

as the topic says, i'm having trouble getting the case all the way onto the shell plate. any idea?

lynn

There is a black rod (camming pin) that touches the ramp (cam slide) that should be adjusted so the case is just completely advanced into the shellplate at full upstroke.

See page 40, Fig 188 in the Instruction manual for details. (Feb. 2005 edition, not sure if it is in the same place in other editions.)

I was having the same problem. I found that the ramp that the case slides on had some burrs on it and was causing it to stick a little. I bought a new one from dillon and the problem only occurs once in a hundred rounds or so now..

I found that grease on the ramp seemed to help .

There is also the adjustment mentioned above , which needs to be messed with when changing case sizes.

Also have had this happen when the shell carrier slots were getting dirty .

Travis F.

Lynn,

When you have the handle at the fully up and back position (where you seat the primer) the case insert slide should be all the way toward the center of the press. On my press the slide has just come completely off the camming surface and it is spring pressure only that pushes the brass in.

As others have said,

1. look for burrs on the "platform" which is the base all this rides on.

2. check your "station one locater" for burrs. This is the aluminum piece that you change when you change calibers to guide the brass to station one.

3.with the handle in the forwardmost position (up and back like you're seating a primer) grab the case insert slide by the edge away from the center and pull straight out. It should pull out under spring pressure until it is under the case feeder hole and about four inches below it. Let the spring return it to a resting position and it should go all the way to the shell locator. If not, the spring may be broken.

Hope you figure it out.

dj

The metal plate that the empty case rides on as it goes into the first position on the press (station one locator?). Has on occasion had a grain of tumbler media in the rail. Also the rail has been bent by an errant case, so the whole black plastic part can't slide smoothly over it. It's pretty soft metal and a mill file cleans it up quickly. As other suggestted checking the black rods height, lubricate and check for debris in the shellplate.

I didn't see it mentioned but there is a spring that pushes the part towards the shell plate,

check to see if that has broken or worn out. I've had 2 break on my 650 and it did just

what you are saying. (mines an early version)

When adjusting the rod to control how far the case is pushed into the shellplate, be sure there is a primed case in station two. The primer seating punch against a primer is the actual physical stop that controls how far the plunger pushes the case into the shellplate.

If no case is present there, the plunger travels farther than it will when actually reloading.

Lynn - i have had the same problem you mentioned with both of my 650's

the cause of the problem turned out to be the spring inside the plastic

case feed housing.

It was weak and needed a little stretching , as well as cleaning the rail

the feeder rides on.