Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking For Reports On S & J Custom

Rather-B-Huntin

To those shooting S & J Custom Open Glocks, I'd like to hear some reports on how your guns are running, either good, bad, or indifferent. I've posted some inquiries about them in the past and have yet to hear anything negative. I'm going to buy my first Open gun soon, and cant' make up my mind about what I want. The concensus says to go with some make of 2011, and I've been looking at a bunch of them. But I'm a die hard Glock guy from way back and can't get myself to eliminate the S & J guns from the list of candidates unless someone with a bad experience with an S & J can convince me to.

I'd like to know certain stats like how many rounds your gun has digested so far, how many rounds you got through before a failure (either minor or catostrophic), how the gun tracks, how is recoil as compared to an Open gun based on a 2011 platform (if you have had sufficient experience with both to cross reference), if you use S & J bigstick mags and how they feed, if you've experienced any feeding problems with other mag combos, what load you use and others you tried that didn't quite work, pretty much the life story of your experience with the S & J Open gun (don't be afraid to go into detail, I'm kinda slow and most times need a vivid picture painted).

And please, I'd like facts, not just opinions.

Edited by Rather-B-Huntin

To those shooting S & J Custom Open Glocks, I'd like to hear some reports on how your guns are running, either good, bad, or indifferent. I've posted some inquiries about them in the past and have yet to hear anything negative. I'm going to buy my first Open gun soon, and cant' make up my mind about what I want. The concensus says to go with some make of 2011, and I've been looking at a bunch of them. But I'm a die hard Glock guy from way back and can't get myself to eliminate the S & J guns from the list of candidates unless someone with a bad experience with an S & J can convince me to.

I'd like to know certain stats like how many rounds your gun has digested so far, how many rounds you got through before a failure (either minor or catostrophic), how the gun tracks, how is recoil as compared to an Open gun based on a 2011 platform (if you have had sufficient experience with both to cross reference), if you use S & J bigstick mags and how they feed, if you've experienced any feeding problems with other mag combos, what load you use and others you tried that didn't quite work, pretty much the life story of your experience with the S & J Open gun (don't be afraid to go into detail, I'm kinda slow and most times need a vivid picture painted).

Love mine,

Nothing but positive comments about it.

My ONLY complaint is the set screw on the slide racker, it tends to work loose after a few hundred rounds. Nothing that some blue thread locker does not solve.

In over 5,000 rounds I have had three malfunctions and all were high primers that were my doing (or undoing as they occured in a match :angry: ).

I used the big stick - no feed issues, it works and works and works..

I seem to recall the same question asked over and over at the indoor matches at S&W this winter... "How many does that mag HOLD??" :D

It tracks well, it has the "right" grip angle, and the stippled grip ROCKS. It has a great positive feel in your hands.

Great way to get into open CHEAP (sub $1800) using cheap 9mm rounds.

My loading data is posted in some of the other threads here on the board, just do a search for S&J Custom for some of the other conversations about the platform.

With the way that the sight mount is attached to the frame, cleaning can take a bit longer. But for those of us who take and hour anyway, it is only a few more minutes of work.

:wub:

My .02 cents.

Just got mine 2 weeks ago. Excellent choice for the price and build time. I have yet to work up a major load, but I have sent nearly 2,500 rounds downrange with zero malfuctions. I didn't even clean it for the first 2 thousand rounds. Using miwall minor reloads, it feels like a .22! I have no trouble scoring quick A's. If you are used to glocks, why deviate? You will love it coming from a glock background. The trigger break is one of the best I have ever felt on a glock. Get taylor freelance 170 pads. 27 + 1. A few open shooters who have seen mine have already stated interest in purchasing one, just for the value. You can't go wrong. Let SJC make you happy... :D

I don't own one, but a couple of weeks ago I got to shoot one, and then a STI Trubor 38 super right after. The recoil and dot movement between the two were similar, with the STI being just a bit softer, but that could just be in the loads. They both recoiled straight back, and the dots lifted just a hair. I was amazed at how soft both actually were. Man I thought they were going to kick like mules, but they didn't. I was amazed at how that Glock performed with Major 9 and could keep up with the STI. There seems to be enough people shooting them now with very few problems.

I'm on the fence myself, and can't decide if I want an SJC (very sweet), or spend more and go STI (also very sweet). Since shooting them both back to back, and not really seeing THAT much difference, i'm about to make the leap to SJC. I like the fact that SJC comes fully tuned and ready to go. The Glock is also much lighter, and its still a Glock.

Man the more I type I keep asking myself why i'm still debating it. It is a big purchase, but I figure in a few years I could always buy an open STI if I feel like I need it to improve.

I know the STI crowd frowns on open Glocks, but I know what I saw, and shot.

SJC built up my G34 for me, I have been very pleased with it. Have been shooting it for over 4 months. I am shooting Open/Minor, have a magnaported glock barrel. IS a very fun gun to shoot :D , now that I have the right ammo setup, is flat and comfortable to shoot. SJC Magwell is get, besides the get reloads it also locks up my grip. John and Steave are great at customer service. :)

post-2928-1175855579.jpg

I have RO'd a bunch of steel matches and seen a bunch of open glocks.....The only ones that I have seen run without problems have been the S&J guns. I do think that the shooters that had problems were having mag or ammo problems, but they still didnt run. I have shot with Randy Jackson at two Steel Challenges, and his runs like clockwork with factory ammo. If I had to get one that is where I would look first.

My .02 $

DougC

Edited by DougCarden

My wife's gun is one of the first Production Open Glocks that came out of S&J Customs. If you go to their site you will see her gun on their banner page. The quality and attention to detail that S&J Customs put into their guns is outstanding. The slide to frame fit is as tight as any high end 1911 I’ve seen. The gun is light yet nicely balanced it has very little muzzle rise shooting WWB and CCI Blazer (brass). The dot tracked great with very little vertical movement and transitioning to the next target is fast and easy. The trigger is very crisp and smooth. John has updated his C-More mount to a racier, dare I say sexy look. Their mag-well has an extremely large mouth for incredibly smooth (and fast) reloads.

We fired about 100 rounds to break it in and get it sighted. John was able to put 3 & 4 rounds through the same hole at will. He also shot a smiley face ala Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon (he gave it to a kid that was at the indoor range with his dad). From the initial sighting in it was grouping ¼” at 15 yards and now it groups 1/2" groups at 25 yards

John set up a small field course at Cherokee Gun Club for my wife, targets ranging from 7-25 yards. Using a custom made 170mm mag., she was able to consistently get 22-23 alphas out of 26 rounds fired shooting as fast as she could pull the trigger. This is from a person that never even held an Open gun much less fired one!

Needless to say we are both very happy with the end result.

Her gun has run without a glitch since day one. The only things I've replaced are the mag springs and the recoil spring. She has gone to ladies camps & shot both local & state matches just about every weekend since Dec. 2005 and her gun has never failed to go BANG! She has two S&J big sticks and they will hold 30 rounds each, but she loads them to 28 plus 1.

Her major load:

Zero 125 JHP

Winchester, RP or Speer brass

Primers: Winchester or CCI small pistol

Powder: 6.6 gr of Win 248

makes 169 power factor

Edited by TruStreet

SJC built up my G34 for me, I have been very pleased with it. Have been shooting it for over 4 months. I am shooting Open/Minor, have a magnaported glock barrel. IS a very fun gun to shoot :D , now that I have the right ammo setup, is flat and comfortable to shoot. SJC Magwell is get, besides the get reloads it also locks up my grip. John and Steave are great at customer service. :)

NICE PAIR....

:wub:

Also, what kind of brass are you guys using?? Do you use new stuff, once fires, range pick up?

Also, what kind of brass are you guys using?? Do you use new stuff, once fires, range pick up?

SJC builds the best Open Glock bar none. No matter what they do to the gun it still has that original Glock reliability. Even with the hottest ammo (my current load averages 170 PF) the gun just keeps going. The only time mine has stopped it was my fault. I am a repeat customer and can’t say enough about the quality of the product.

Match ammo is constructed from new or brass from ammo that I have fired. I have always favored Winchester and have had the best results with it. In recent testing I found that mixed commercial brass or military brass does not give me consistant results across the chronograph. Sometimes it makes major other times not.

I don't have a problem with using range brass but I inspect the stuff very carefully.

This load data is EXPERIMENTAL and is not remotely suggested by VV.

I am now using VV exclusively with 5.8 gr of 3N37 over a Federal SP primer capped with a Zero 147 JHP. This is a highly experimental load and is also way short for most applications (1.130). The VV book shows a MAX of 5.1 for the Hornady JHP in this weight.

There is a wealth of reloading data in the 9mm section of the reloading forum.

The same powder charge under a 115 gr makes a very soft shooting 130PF load.

If you like Glocks you will love the SJC.

Other facts added in this edit:

Almost 14,000 rounds of which about 7K were Major9. (Edit after checking my log book)

Tracking, felt recoil and such are subjective. I like the way the gun performs compared to the 1911/2011 .38 Supers I have used in the past. The only thing that I have that shoots softer (another subjective measure) is my Jim Clark .45.

I have had one broken trigger spring and two JPoint collapses (nothing to do with the SJC work).

David C

Edited by geezer-lock

• 1 month later...

Bump to top.

More than one person has asked what is a "good" compensator & barrel for an open Glock & I always say KKM Open-9 barrel, S&J comp. Even better if you have S&J do the gunsmithing for you.

Links:

S&J Custom

S&J comp

Chris Patty also sells the whole line of S&J products, plus a ton of other good shooting stuff:

Chris's Shooting Accessories

If anyone can coax BrianH out of retirement, his titanium Glock comps are super-trick too.

Edited by eric nielsen

Just bought another G17, guess why I am sending mine? SJC! John and Steave are great at answering questions and giving you information, can't wait till I have a 9x19 shooting major with 29 rounds at the buzzer.

Just bought another G17, guess why I am sending mine? SJC! John and Steave are great at answering questions and giving you information, can't wait till I have a 9x19 shooting major with 29 rounds at the buzzer.

Hey Pete,

I guess I have to watch my back now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to see you shoot Open, bro. :cheers:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is anyone using the SJC big stick and if so how are they working?

Spankymac

THEY WORK GREAT

I just got my S&J Custom Open in 9major. I also got 2 big sticks with my gun.

That makes a total of 4 big sticks in our household.

My wife has been running hers for a year & a half with no problems.

Edited by TruStreet