Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Thing Better Than Oneshot Case Lube

JSCHIEFEN

One shot for pistol cases sprayed on in the tray right before I load them. Dillon/midway for the rifle cases sprayed on in a cardboard box and rolled around. The Dillon and Midway do need to be cleaned off after you load your ammo, but not even close to a stuck case.

Randy

Here's a tip I picked up on this forum. Dust your cases with teflon powder when they are in the casefeeeder. I'ts inert, doesn't evaporate, is inexpensive since you use very little (1/2 lb may last a lifetime) and makes your reloader run like silk. This is especially true if you're using an undersized die. I didn't use any lube before trying this and thought it was unnecessary. Now that I've tried it I've never go back. To find teflon powder just google "teflon powder". I bought it from a piano repair place in Northern California. I've also seen someone on eBay selling something like 5 or 10 pounds for $20 plus $18 shipping. 5 pounds would last several lifetimes.

Here's a tip I picked up on this forum. Dust your cases with teflon powder when they are in the casefeeeder. I'ts inert, doesn't evaporate, is inexpensive since you use very little (1/2 lb may last a lifetime) and makes your reloader run like silk. This is especially true if you're using an undersized die. I didn't use any lube before trying this and thought it was unnecessary. Now that I've tried it I've never go back. To find teflon powder just google "teflon powder". I bought it from a piano repair place in Northern California. I've also seen someone on eBay selling something like 5 or 10 pounds for $20 plus $18 shipping. 5 pounds would last several lifetimes.

A question on the teflon powder.

How dusty is it when you drop it into the hopper?

Do you wear a mask?

Do you wear surgical gloves? That stuff, I believe, is a carcinogen.

Do you wear a mask?

Yeah... wouldn't you be better off using graphite?

Do you wear a mask?

Yeah... wouldn't you be better off using graphite?

And that stuff is nasty too.

I've used OneShot for all my rifle reloading and so far I've never had a problem but my buddy stuck a case just a couple of day's ago. Are you letting it dry for the alotted time? I think if you don't let it dry you run into sticking problem's just a thought.

I finally got me some of the much touted one shot. I used it and compared it to the pure silicone spray I have been using. I found there to be nothing special about one shot. I am only loading 9mm so the rifle sizing issues don't matter to me. If I use both products the same I.E spray a very small amount in a baggie and shake, the ACE brand silicone spray is just as slick plus costs about 1/3d as much and leaves nothing but slick rounds to load. I have loaded hundreds and have had no problems with my ammo.

I also picked up some lanolin tonight to see if it works as posted. I'll let you know.

I don't use any lube on my .45 cases. But use it for .223 and .308. I have a lot of different lubes and they all werk pretty good. I think there is a diffence with each can of One Shot, I have had some that lube well, and the next can was worthless. The Dillon IMO is beter than the Hornady because its seems thicker, but you don't really need thicker for .223.

Today I was Small Base sizing some brass for my extra tight .308 Palma rifle chamber, the One Shot wss worthless, they started sticking going in. I went right for the Imperial Sizing Wax for this extreem chore.

I don't use any lube on my .45 cases. But use it for .223 and .308. I have a lot of different lubes and they all werk pretty good. I think there is a diffence with each can of One Shot, I have had some that lube well, and the next can was worthless. The Dillon IMO is beter than the Hornady because its seems thicker, but you don't really need thicker for .223.

Today I was Small Base sizing some brass for my extra tight .308 Palma rifle chamber, the One Shot wss worthless, they started sticking going in. I went right for the Imperial Sizing Wax for this extreem chore.

I only use SB dies for my .308 and only use Lee Lube.

This is the cheapest and best case lube method I have found, and I use it for both pistol and rifle cartridges. Basically a home-brew version of Dillon spray lube but much cheaper than any commercial product. Works much better than Hornady One-Shot in my experience, night and day difference. I tried the "dab of lube on your hands and run them through the cases" method (which works pretty dang well), but the spray method is a little more convenient and lubes more uniformly in my opinion.

4 ounces Liquid Lanolin from the local health food store: $7.00

16 ounce bottle of 91% Isopropyl Alcohol from Walmart: $2.00

General purpose spray bottle (free, liberated it from my wife's cleaning supplies)

old pillow case (free, again liberated from the linen closet)

Result: 20 ounces of spray lube for under 10 bucks.

2 oz tube of Lee Lube only $3.00 Add 20 oz of 99 % Alcohol from Supermarket/Drug Store. 22oz of lube only under $5.00. Never tried it with rifle but it's plenty for pistol.

Edited by 98sr20ve