Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taurus 24/7 "long Slide"

I just looked at a Taurus 24/7 in 40 S&W that has an extended slide and barrel - it is very similar to a G35 or a XD Tactical. It was new and priced at $399. It felt really good and boy is that price right!

Is anyone competing with this Taurus 24/7 in 9mm or 40? Are any gunsmiths working on these yet?

Edited by ranger

Wow - no comments?

Taurus doesn't seem to have a huge following around here so this gun probably hasn't been handled or shot by too many of the forum members. The 24/7 and their new 1911 do look promising but I don't have any experience shooting either of them.

Hopefully we will get a range report from someone soon who can answer some of your questions.

-ld

• 1 year later...

Any updates? I know when I looked into the 24/7 awhile ago the "Pro" version with the SA/DA trigger wasn't on the approved list.

But, if I'm understanding the OSS system correctly, the safety/thumb lever acts as a traditional safety and as a decocker so the gun can be "cocked and locked" or carried hammer-down for a DA shot. Is this correct?

Anyway, here's what the rules say:

24/7, 817, 827, M66, P945, PT100, PT101, PT111, PT140, PT145, PT911, PT92, PT940, PT945, PT99

C Models not allowed. Any DAO or DA/SA revolver with a barrel length of up to 8.5" is approved. All listed models must be DAO, DA/SA or with a decocker only.

Anyway, I'm assuming the "decocker only" ruling will keep the OSS or the other longslide variants from making it.

Too bad, since the new 9mm OSS might be an interesting gun to try.

I can't speak for the Pro or Long slide, but I have a 24/7 and the thumb safety is not a decocker.

I'm not very happy with this gun, especially for competition. It's not very accurate, and the DA/SA trigger makes for a really long take up. I plan on trading it for a M&P 9L as soon as one hits the shelves in my area.

Just my $.02

Scott

I can't speak for the Pro or Long slide, but I have a 24/7 and the thumb safety is not a decocker.

I'm not very happy with this gun, especially for competition. It's not very accurate, and the DA/SA trigger makes for a really long take up. I plan on trading it for a M&P 9L as soon as one hits the shelves in my area.

Just my $.02

Scott

Taurus Info Page on the New OSS

I have two 24/7. The most recent purchase was the long slide. One is my house gun, and the other is my truck gun. I have shot the short barreled 24/7 in IDPA, but not often. I love to shoot these guns. HOWEVER, I have to agree that the accuracy leaves alot to be desired. At self-defense distances, I consider them acceptable, but beyond 10yds...........no. You can't get adjustable sights for them, no one is making aftermarket accessories for them.

I suppose this is the trade off you make when you pay $200 less than an XD or M&P.

Mark.

What kind of inaccuracy are we talking about? Can you keep 10-12 rounds in the "A" zone at 25 yards slowfire?

NO

Even with my bad eyes, I can group about 3-4" at 25yds with my .40 S&W SVI Limited gun. With the either Taurus 9mm with handloads or WWB, it grouped about 3 times that. Most of the shots could be covered with your hand, but it had flyers out a ways.

Mark

Edited by Mark K

i would like to see some groups shot from a machine rest before i would say the gun was totally inaccurate.

Taran Bulter seemed to shoot it pretty swiftly.

harmon

+1

I looked seriously at that Taurus at both the NRA show and SHOT show as a future Production gun. Since then I ended up getting

the SIG but would still like to shoot a Taurus myself to see if one belonged in my collection. It sure felt good in my hand.

Craig

• 1 year later...
I just looked at a Taurus 24/7 in 40 S&W that has an extended slide and barrel - it is very similar to a G35 or a XD Tactical. It was new and priced at $399. It felt really good and boy is that price right!

Is anyone competing with this Taurus 24/7 in 9mm or 40? Are any gunsmiths working on these yet?

I hate pretty much all things Taurus. One of my guys purchased a 24 7 in 45 acp as a duty gun. After just 6 months the mag springs went bad and the pistol would not feed until the springs were replaced. Not a confidence builder. Stay away from Taurus guns. There are far better choices out there.

Pat

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but since I currently own a 24/7, I have been looking at accesories (mags, holsters, sights, etc). Long story short, I can't find ANYTHING local, and though I can findi things online, They seem to be higher priced or not as highly available. I think I am going to have to buy another production gun to compete with vs spending a lot of money buying mags, holsters, etc.

Seems to me that one can just purchase a Glock or M&P and all accesories a lot easier and in the end, for about the same price.

Anyone have anything else new to add since the last post?

• 4 weeks later...

I have 2 Taurus OSS. I sold both of my Sigs "226 TB" and a "250 full" after using the Taurus in IDPA and Steele Plate this summer. I have over 3K in one Taurus and 1k in the other. Never one problem and I play a lot with my reloads. I use a Comp-Tac and Hillsman holster. I have a Novak fiber on front of one and a Novak fiber front and rear on the other. These pistols come with a match grade barrel and a great trigger. People will ask after watching you go down zero and down 1 after 2 or 3 stages, "Hey what is that?" As soon as you say Taurus they give you a nauseated look and go retreat to the shelter with their Kimbers, Wilson Combat and yes their Sigs. I am trying out USPSA this month and I'm sure I'll meet some Taurus haters there as well.

• 5 months later...

Even though this thread is 6 months old, I have to reply to sourmug! :D I found the thread while goofing off with old searches.

Anyway, my family started USPSA last year. The only auto pistols I owned were G17, G19, two 24/7 Pro, and some Bersa Thunder 9's.

I shot the G19 and my kids shot the Bersa's b/c they were small. It was fun. The guns ran well, but the Bersas spread out after 8 yards, so the kids had trouble with distance.

After a couple of matches, I put connectors and springs in the glocks and bought ITAC holsters for the Taurus guns. The kids did better with the Glocks, and I just took off with the 24/7! At my 4th match, after 2 stages I had a stranger come up to me from the audience and ask what the hell I was shooting. LOL!

I could tell from the look on his face, he was gonna go check out some Taurus guns. In the gang here, we have some guys who discreetly disparage my Brazilian crap, but we get along b/c I can beat some of them and just b/c they're good guys. We have a good local scene.

I've beat on these guns pretty hard since then. I make my own captive spring rod from a #6 nail (to replace the plastic rod) but other than that I shoot 'em stock (Heinie straight 8's) in Limited. A month ago I shipped one back just to get a replacement plastic rod just for future tinkering and to have it in the spares kit. On the work order I mentioned some grinding I had done almost 5 years ago while trying to get POI just right. They replaced the whole top end at no charge! New slide, new barrel, all new parts. New gun!

Maybe these guns will fall apart in my hand some day. So far, not. We'll see. I can rip with these things. Right now my son wants the other Taurus instead of his Glock. Funny.

• 6 months later...

Quite a while back I was in the right place at the right time and picked up a used Taurus 24/7 in .45 along with a Wilderness Safepacker, mags and a bunch of hornady ammo for a song. I was kind of ho-hum about it but figured that if it was reliable it would make a good house and travel piece as I like the concept of having a thumb safety and a double action type trigger pull.

The ergonomics of the gun are very good, and it points well. I’ve fed it lead SWCs and 230 FMJ without any problems. The accuracy I’m getting runs about 2-3” at 25yd with 200g SWCs and 5.2-5.7 g WW231. It does a plate rack at 18 yards with no problem. Reminds me of a 12 shot revolver with a thumb safety. My only complaints would be that the recoil (in .45) is pretty snappy (no big surprise there considering how light it is), and the lower tip of the trigger is a little sharp and needs to be dehorned with some sand paper as during recoil my trigger finger takes a beating. If it was a 9mm I would consider using this in production division with no hesitation.

• 1 month later...

I own a 9mm and a 45 OSS. There is nothing else thus far that suits me better. IMHO the safety is the best thought out ever, up to de cock,middle safe, down off safe. I love the ability to carry loaded and de coked and the possibility of de cocking during fire is near zero. High hold thumb on safety, no worries. I wish I had bought more of them.I hate that Taurus discontinued these and other similar designs with the same trigger and safety.Taurus's major flaw in my opinion is that their marketing has bought into the planned obsolescence that sells everything today from cell phones to firearms.Among the under thirty crowd anything designed last year is OLD and antiquated.