Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Can I Do To Speed Up My Draw?

Rosshooting

I dry practicing a lot! I am shooting production and reach a conclusion that the comfortable and reliable point of speed draw is not under 1.15. I am not pleased with that of course so please share me some key points to speed up it! My stance and technique are correct, I am relaxed, my shoulders are square and not moving, the same with my torso.

I dry practicing a lot! I am shooting production and reach a conclusion that the comfortable and reliable point of speed draw is not under 1.15. I am not pleased with that of course so please share me some key points to speed up it! My stance and technique are correct, I am relaxed, my shoulders are square and not moving, the same with my torso.

....umm. if it ain't broke, don't fix it. At yesterdays Drillmasters Club I managed 18-A's and 2-C's at 7 yards. Averaged maybe a 1.47 for the twenty round drill with a production rig. Sub 1.30's are good. Sub 1.20's are REAL good. -1.00 times (all A's) are reserved for the best, hardest working shooters in the game. IMHO.

Jim

Edited by JimmyM

I am hitting A's every time with time 1.15-1.20 in production DA first shot. I think if I try to speed it up little more it will became risky. So I am glad to hear that it's a good time for a draw! Thank you guys! Appreciates your help!

It's not about speed, but it's also about speed! :)

Your draw is just getting the gun out, up and on target. A great way to speed it up is to slow it dow. (man I feel like the riddler today, where's my question mark suit? )

If you slow it down in dry fire and really examine where your hands are and what they are doing, you will surely find some wasted movement and wasted time.

The next trick is to commit those improvements to the subconscious so you can draw and shoot on autopilot. This is the difference between practicing and shooting.

SA

Well, the 1st step is to figure out how much time you are willing to sacrifice working on it.

And by that he probably doesn't JUST mean how much time are you willing to spend, but what time will you take away from other practice. In other words, how important is that ONE shot?

MY theory has always been, once you get something to the point it's a strength, go find a weakness and work on that. Your draw is fine, how's your reload? How are your transitions? Movement? Accuracy? Shooting on the move? etc etc etc...

There's always something to work on. The draw is an easy number to check on and brag about, but has that one shot being .05 faster ever won anybody a match let alone a stage?

20 years ago I became obsessed with my draw.

I practiced very hard and often and got it down to a smokin time!

Unfortunately all I really accomplished was to injure my elbow.

The small amount of time I gained made no real difference in my overall performance.

Today I just try to be as consistant as I can with my draw @1.3 to 1.4 I can hit all A shots

even on longer shots.

It took years for my elbow to come back...and I dont want to hurt it again!!

Just my 2c worth

Jim :D

I thought my draw was pretty damn good until I posted a video of myself for the M/GM crowd to critique. What I found out is that my weak hand is meeting the grip far later than it should, and it was costing me .2 every time.

Post a video of yourself and allow the experienced shooters move you in the correct direction.

What is your reaction time to the buzzer? Beginning of beep or end of beep? That may be an area to shave a bit of time. Not that there's anything wrong with a 1.15, but you asked. :D

Edited by Sharyn

What is your reaction time to the buzzer? Beginning of beep or end of beep? That may be an area to shave a bit of time. Not that there's anything wrong with a 1.15, but you asked. :D

What Sharyn said. I have shaved off the better part of .15-.20ish on my draw by working hard to start my movement at the very beginning of the beep.

This is one of the few things were you can force yourself to go faster without actually trying to do something (like trying to physically speed up part of your draw) faster.

What Sharyn said. I have shaved off the better part of .15-.20ish on my draw by working hard to start my movement at the very beginning of the beep.

This is one of the few things were you can force yourself to go faster without actually trying to do something (like trying to physically speed up part of your draw) faster.

My mental cue is "get your hand on the gun before the buzzer stops buzzing". Once you're hitting that, get the gun out (with a good grip) before the buzzer stops buzzing. With a long buzzer (some are 0.3 sec and some are 0.5 sec), it can be done, and even with a short one, it gets you moving.