Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Last round "Stove Pipe"

Jerome Poiret

Hy all,

At the range today, the following happened twice:

the last round of the mag fires and the ejecting brass "stove pipes".

I'm shooting (for the first time, but not new) a SVI .40, mags don't lock up slide at the end, and it shoots perfectly before those "last round in the mag" things.

I'm searching the forum, but, in the meantime, any help is appreciated.

Sounds like an extractor problem.. Maybe need a bit of tension or too much radius on bottom of hook so it doesn't hold the case back to the ejector without a round in mag to provide upward pressure..

Guest Dick W Holliday

my 38 super was leaving the last round laying on the mag follower...i found that the bottom of the extractor had sort of rounded off and the rounds were just slipping out below the extractor if there wasn't another round to hold them up in the extractor......a new Aftec curred the problem.......Dick

(Edited by Dick W Holliday at 5:54 pm on Jan. 19, 2003)

I would argue that, if this is an extractor-related problem, why should it happen only on the last round?

In any case, since stovepipes are mostly determined by slide travelling forth to battery too fast for extraction to be completed, and given this happens to your gun only with last round, I suspect that this is related to the slide not locking open on the last round.

I mean, upon firing the last round, the slide is no longer slowed down (by the resistance that a round to be stripped from magazine - now empty- can exert), thus it travels forth too fast for slide lock to work and extraction to be completed.

I know this is only a mechanical explaination for what might be happening to your gun, but to give possible solutions I need to know more:

- What recoil spring are you using (i.e. spring load, mine is factory 17lbs.)?

- Are you using shock buffs?

- Which followers are installed in your magazines?

- Which mag springs do you use?

Hope to be able to provide some help.

Guest Dick W Holliday

what was going with mine was that the bottom of the extractor had rounded off too much from all those rounds sliding up by it so when the gun fired the last round in a mag and the slide unlocked and the case slid down the little bit that the barrel unlocking caused and with no round under it to keep it up then it would get loose before the ejector got a good hit on it and sometimes it would be laying on the follower or sometimes it would stovepipe or if my loads were very light then it would just get squashed in the port somehow.....Dick....oh by the way i played with the extractor tension and it didn't help.........

PS you should go to the general gunsmithing thread called"The two  fifty extractor adjustment tool"  i'll be at home depot after while.....Dick

(Edited by Dick W Holliday at 5:58 am on Jan. 20, 2003)

Guest Dick W Holliday

youre probably right but mine ran fine for years and then started puking so i went Aftec and i haven't had a problem of any sort since.....Dick

I've run into this with single stacks, and the solution back then was....a new mag spring.  The next round lifting aids ejection (only thing I could think of that changed whan I changed springs) and since the last round is last, well, there isn't anything pushing up.

However, if something so marginal as a new mag spring can "solve" the problem, then somehting someplace else seems to be wrong.

I was just talking to a gunsmith about a similar problem I have and he said a good way to tell if it is the extractor is to chamber a live round (at the range) remove the mag and fire the round. If the empty drops on your feet it is the extractor, if it ejects normaly than it is something else (recoil spring perhaps?).

• 3 months later...

This is obviously a late post, but I recall a shooting buddy's frustration years ago with intermittent feeding jams (.45 225-230gr rds) on the last couple of rounds in the magazine. He'd get a bizarre double-feed looking disaster in the middle of an otherwise great stage. Turned out his Wilson mag springs had never been replaced for years and barely reached the top of the feed lips even with the follower removed. It was surprising the rounds were getting pushed up as often as they did. New springs, problem instantly disappeared.

Don't know if this helps, but a really simple solution was somehow overlooked for months.

I would argue that, if this is an extractor-related problem, why should it happen only on the last round?

If the extractor fit or tension are borderline, then it may not fully extract the case because there is not a round in the mag under the last empty coming out of the chamber. Or in other words, if the extractor is borderline, the last round (coming out of the chamber) may slip off the bottom of the extractor, because the mag is empty, before it impacts the ejector.

be

I had a Para in 10mm that had a loose extractor but it always functioned well. If I ran the gun dry it would occasionally do something funny. On one occasion I fired the gun without a magazine in the gun and learned that it would eject throught the magwell. I tried it again and it would do it every time. Tighened up the extractor a little and all was normal again.

Leo