Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is 3x Enough Power?

Spaceghost

I picked up an EoTech at a good price. Now I'm thinking about magnification. The 3x from Eotech is $$$$ but the 4x is even more.. like crazy stupid outrageous more.

What is the group think? Is 3X enough for shooting say, 8" plates at 350? The 1MOA dot on the Eotech will be how big.. 8moa at 400?

My experience has left me with a 1x max effective range is 50 to 75 yard. My accu point 1.25 to 4x works great out to 200yds but is chore out to 400 yds because the triangle and double posts obscure alot of the target. I'm looking into at least 7x for Ironman shots out to 680 yds. I did use my accu point out to 385 yds at Ft Benning but it required a creative zero of 285 yds.

My friend used the 3x multiplier and aimpoint at 200 but said it didn't work to good.

3x is plenty enough for three gun. The advantage of the Eo-Tech is that it only has a 1 MOA dot. At 400 yds it will only obscure 4 inches of the target area. The downside is that there are no ranging stadia on the reticle which could make it a bit trickier for hold over. Depends on where you sight it in though. I've used a 1-3x CQ/T for the last several years with no issues. I've taken shots out to 500 yds with it successfully. Basically as long as you can see and ID the target you have enough magnification. There are still guys shooting irons at these matches and they can do it with no magnification.

I think 3x is plenty but in a true magnified optic. My experience with the add on magnifiers is either a target focus or dot focus issue which would make long shots more difficult. you need a good target focus with a crisp reticle/dot. I'm not a fan of the add on magnifiers. Mainly speaking of the Aimpoint model since the Eotech magnifiers are so new. I use the CQ/T and like it alot.

I use the CQ/T and find it limited past 200 yards and wish it had a little more magnification. The dot is too large and covers too much of the target if you are shooting at standard size poppers at distance. Last year at a match the targets were against a light colored backround at 275 yards and it was nearly impossible to make out the targets from the background at 3x.

I've been looking at something in the 5x range, but not sure what since they all have some limitations. still looking

of course, I'm an old man and can't see like you young bucks, I shoot like a blind man you might say, which can be a little exciting at the range.

Completely seperate. Doesn't the seperate magnifier (i.e. not the one that's actually attached to the EOTech or Aimpoint) bump you into open? Wouldn't it if it didn't since it is a second optic? I know it's been discussed on here and can't remember.

I know last year one guy on the Super Squad was using it and I believe the interim ruling was that it was okay for Tactical, but can't remember if that had changed since.

That said, 3 or 4x is plenty. Like Huck, I drill plates at 600 with my TA-11. I'm going to play with an Accu-point 1.25-4x when I get back. I figure I'll zero the top of the triangle at 100 and hopefully the bottom will be at 300. Either way the scope has a doping feature in it to click up for various yardages and I'll roll with that too and see how it works.

Rich

Magnifier has to remain mounted on the rifle for the entire match, but (assuming it is on a tilt-up mount) you're free to swing it out of the way during the match, all you want.

You can get a samson Filp mount for the Aimpoint 3x.

Using ARMS mounts, Samson Fip mounts, Amipoint ML2 or M2 (the one w/ NVG) and a Aimpoint 3x. you will have more money on top of most rifles than what is below.

Also with the 3x mag you have to get up close (nose to charging handle close) in order to get a full field of view.

Lots of cash where a simple 1x-3x turkey scope will run just fine.

parallex opnly becomes an issue if you do not line up correctly behinde the scope.

A scope are only parallex free at one distance (150 yards iirc leoupold). Any other distance parallex is there.

I forget the formula but parallex is not thatmuch of an error at worst case. At least in a hunting kill shot area. If you missed generally parallex is not the issue.

Edited by Gregory_k