Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eaa Witness Hunter For Limited...

996fan2007

The extension, from the pics on the EAA website, make the extra length on the barrel look like it's not part of the slide, which would make me think it's clamped onto the barrel itself. That, I believe, would make it a barrel weight and put you in open.

But I could be wrong.

The extension, from the pics on the EAA website, make the extra length on the barrel look like it's not part of the slide, which would make me think it's clamped onto the barrel itself. That, I believe, would make it a barrel weight and put you in open.

But I could be wrong.

That would be a cool Limited gun.

But.... looking at the picture, I kinda agree about that "barrel weight" thing, and maybe it should be in Open.... but it sure did not stop them from approving other pistols with "weights", like non-ported ribbed hybrid barrels, bull barrels, slab slides, or full length dust covers..... and other guns with what sure looks like external, seperate comp shaped weights (but are an "expansion chamber", not a weight - but wouldn't an expansion chamber be a kind of comp?)

Ok now I'm confused. <_<

Who knows whats legal from day to day. :wacko:

(edited to remove references to specific manufacturers)

post-1837-1174355781.jpg

post-1837-1174357086.jpg

Edited by sfinney

The rule says: "18. External modifications such as weights, or devices to control or reduce recoil are specifically not allowed, such as but not limited to, thumb rest, extended slide stops, etc."

But what is a "modification?" This hasn't been "modified" by anyone; it's straight from the manufacturer. If STI's TruSight is legal and isn't considered an external modification designed to control or reduce recoil, then I think EAA should be able to claim that the thing on the end of the Hunter's barrel is a "front sight holder" designed to increase sight radius that in no way is designed to control or reduce recoil. FWIW, EAA's description of the Witness Hunter does not mention recoil reduction at all.

Edited by 996fan2007

The way it should be ruled/enforced in Limited, Anything that extendeds beyond the front of the slide by more than .200 will be illegal. No barrel can not be shorter than the slide. With this manufactured numbers wouldn't apply.

Just the way I see it.

Rich

You could be onto something. There are fans of a 6" "fat-free" limited gun. Why not a Tanfoglio? That platform certainly has the mag capacity, accuracy and reliability as demonstrated by Graufel and Walgren's occasional entries in Limited/Standard.

The way it should be ruled/enforced in Limited, Anything that extendeds beyond the front of the slide by more than .200 will be illegal. No barrel can not be shorter than the slide. With this manufactured numbers wouldn't apply.

Just the way I see it.

Rich

I wholeheartedly agree with you; in fact, there's a post over on the USPSA forum that suggests a few rule changes including that one that I agree with. But, that's not how they're written now. With that in mind, I think that if the STI TruSight and SVI Sighttracker are legal, it would smack of unfairness if the EAA Witness Hunter were to be excluded. At that point, we might as well stop calling it "Limited" and start officially calling it what it's practically become . . . "S_I Division."

Anyone know if they make a .40 barrel for it, or how hard it would be to get one? I asked the same question over in the EAA / Tanfoglio Shop section, but haven't gotten a response yet.

Edited by 996fan2007

I saw one of these at the SHOT Show (EAA Hunter)and for 07 they are going to a full six inch slide. NO barrel attachment. The nice lady I talked to had no idea if they would do a 40 S&W in it.

I don't suppose you would happen to have pics or know where we could find some, would you?

Ok... but if this is illegal.. what about the tru-sight? or whatever from STI?

That gun is limited legal AND has a comp.. i know we all expect comps to have ports. but if you make back bore a piece of steel and create an expansion chamber... well they did this in the late 80's and from the guys i talked to it worked as a pretty darn efficient comp. compared to just weight or nothing there.

Anyone remember the SPS "Pelican" version of the long/heavy dust cover they showed in Frontsite a while back? Yes - I know those are not yet imported to the US. But given that gun & the STI Limited gun with the compensator (trusite) I can't see how the Tanfoglio factory gun would be outside the limited rules.

I saw one of these at the SHOT Show (EAA Hunter)and for 07 they are going to a full six inch slide. NO barrel attachment. The nice lady I talked to had no idea if they would do a 40 S&W in it.

I don't suppose you would happen to have pics or know where we could find some, would you?

Nope, no picture, maybe Henning can respond to this

Special conditions:

16. Any complete handgun or components produced by a factory and available

to the general public for one year and 500 produced. Prototypes are specifically

not allowed.

I bet EAA has sold many "longslide" top ends in various calibers, many more than 500, and for at least the last 15 or so years or longer. And the frame has obviously been available as well. So wouldn't the "Hunter" be legal by default (if they go to a pure longslide config), as in the "or components" clause? I think thats how the Sight Tracker was legal so fast; ribbed non ported hybrid barrels, and hybrid cut slides had been produced in #s in excess of 500, and over a year, as components, so it was then ok on Limited guns.

Special conditions:

16. Any complete handgun or components produced by a factory and available

to the general public for one year and 500 produced. Prototypes are specifically

not allowed.

I bet EAA has sold many "longslide" top ends in various calibers, many more than 500, and for at least the last 15 or so years or longer. And the frame has obviously been available as well. So wouldn't the "Hunter" be legal by default (if they go to a pure longslide config), as in the "or components" clause? I think thats how the Sight Tracker was legal so fast; ribbed non ported hybrid barrels, and hybrid cut slides had been produced in #s in excess of 500, and over a year, as components, so it was then ok on Limited guns.

Since the current TruSight and Sighttracker were ruled legal, why wouldn't the current Hunter be considered legal as well? They must have made at least 500 of them. Now if someone would just make 500 barrels in .40 s&w, I'd think EAA would have a winner.

Now if someone would just make 500 barrels in .40 s&w, I'd think EAA would have a winner.

I bet that EAA (or someone, back when) has made many, many 6" .40 barrels at some point....... "longslides" were a popular option on these things back in the 90's, what was the length of those barrels?

Here's a picture of the 2007 Hunter Model. I've got some on order along with Limited 40's and Gold Team 38's. Working on shop pages where you can order the gun along with all necessary accessories.

post-3780-1174971770.jpg

While I like the beavertail, thin grips, squared triggerguard, and fine checkering, why did EAA suddenly downgrade the rear sight? What's the price going to be? How much to add an ambi on there?

Guys,

Sent the email below off to John Amidon:

Dear Sir,

I would like to inquire as to whether the EAA Witness Hunter pistol as

pictured on page 6 of the EAA corp 2007 catalog would be legal for use

in limited division.

Below is a link to the catalog in question:

http://www.eaacorp.com/EAA2007Catalog.pdf

Peter Adams

CRO

FY-39604

got the following response:

Hi Peter,

Sorry to say, no. It is considered a proto type.

Yes there are other 6" guns out there that are legal, as well as the STI

TruSight with the expansion chamber such as the

Hunter has, but the STI was approved in a 5" barrel and only .40S&W caliber.

NROI has nothing on file from EAA requesting this gun be approved for

Limited and that a minimum of 500 have been

produced and available to the general public.

Regards,

John Amidon

So it seems that it is not a problem with any features of the gun but rather with the proof of production numbers. Maybe someone close to EAA or Tanfoglio could get that ball rolling?

Amidon: "NROI has nothing on file from EAA requesting this gun be approved for

Limited and that a minimum of 500 have been

produced and available to the general public."

So it seems that it is not a problem with any features of the gun but rather with the proof of production numbers. Maybe someone close to EAA or Tanfoglio could get that ball rolling?

Ok, thats what bugs me about the current language of "500 produced", etc. Is there an official, restrictive list of guns that are approved for Limited? No?

So why does anyone have to write in for one to be "approved"? Shouldn't it be more like approved by default unless the gun does not meet one of the other specified Limited Div criteria, or it can be proven to be a "proto type" not constructed of "components" made in excess of 500? (And that doesn't even begin to address the can of worms the "or components" wording opens up in the discussion.)

We need a Limited Box, with no optics, no porting/comps, 9mm or larger, maybe a weight restriction, otherwise run it. <_<

Sigh. Looks like EAA/Tanfoglio needs to send in the numbers for both the old Hunter, and especially the NEW 2007 Hunter, that looks like the ticket if you want to build a "fat free" type 6" EAA.

(Edited - its been pointed out that the ruling about G20 and .40 barrels was aimed at Prod )

Edited by sfinney

Strange, I don't see anything in the rules against a "caliber change." Surely >500 .40 barrels for the Glock have been made, as well as the other parts in the Glock 20.

If someone where to claim it such a change would cause it to be considered a prototype, if so, then what gun built from the ground up by a gunsmith couldn't be considered a prototype?

Regardless, I hope EAA does what it can to get the new Hunter approved for Limited.