must order that all affected targets have a replacement nonscoring

border drawn or fitted thereon.

From the rulebook:

4.2.2.1 The face of paper penalty targets must include a sufficiently

distinguishable non-scoring border. In the absence of

perforations or other suitable markings, the Range Master

must order that all affected targets have a replacement nonscoring

border drawn or fitted thereon.

Ok, so reading this I gather I can cut out the A zone of the no shoot, then put say a tape border around the cut out and call it a day. Any shot touching the tape and the "white" is scored a hit.

Thanks.

When you cut out the A-zone, cut 1/4 inch inside the perf . . . voila, non-scoring border, just like on the outer edge.

We did this at our club once.

Or place a line of thin black tape around the A-hole ( :D ).

Bearing in mind our practical roots, and bearing in mind the theoretical push to move back towards them, what is this target meant to represent? It does not conform to the principles of practical shooting and no course reviewer should allow such targets on any IPSC/USPSA stage. Sorry.

Hmm...sounds like engaging a target with Level IV body armor riding a bit high. Slide the shot in under the plate ;)

Without damaging the plate, which you intend to salvage off the target after the engagement.

VERY practical.

Sadistic, but practical.

I'm glad I compete in America where you can just follow the rules exactly as written without people making up and trying to enforce their own cute little "do as I say because I said so" rules because the written ones don't "comply" with their "vision." We Americans will just follow the WRITTEN rules, as already accurately quoted :ph34r:

:D

Alex

Alex

I think you need to read the information again. It's a no-shoot in front. So what is being asked is to shoot through the chest of a no shoot, without hitting the chest, to hit a scoring target behind. Presumably hits on the no-shoot are to count. How is this practical?

We shoot at targets like that regularly (Classic targets here)..

Never thought of the "practical" side.. just see it as a fun/challenging target.

If you want to pick holes based on whether something is truly "practical" or not then we are all in deep trouble!!

Would you EVER use the tactics we use on stages in real life?????

Hitting a bad guy in a specific area otherwise covered by No-Shoots around him? I'll buy that. Neil, I'm not sure how many people you've had to point guns at, but having a very limited target area, surrounded by an area that I really don't want to hit seems about right.

You could effectively do the same thing by putting 4 no-shoots over the target, arrayed to perform the same function. Its a tight shot through a lot of good guys. All he's doing is saving paper...

In the end, though, I agree with Neil. I'd never use that arrangement in a match. A-zone surrounded by hardcover - sure, BTDT - conceivable... Surrounded by no-shoots becomes a very penal activity, however. I practice on that sort of array, though - its good work.

Additionally - I can't find the reference, now, but I recall an NROI ruling that you cannot "gut" a no-shoot (or shoot) target? You can hack all but a square inch away from it, but you can't cut the middle out?

Seems like a good shooting challlenge to me, which is what this sport is all about.

Lots of folk who can't aim will likely cry a river of tears though...

I can't find anything that would make this illegal if there's a non-scoring border.

4.2.2 Paper targets must have scoring lines and non-scoring borders

clearly marked on the face of the target, however, scoring lines

and non-scoring borders should not be visible beyond a distance

of 10 meters (32.81 feet). The scoring zones reward power in

IPSC matches.

Additionally - I can't find the reference, now, but I recall an NROI ruling that you cannot "gut" a no-shoot (or shoot) target? You can hack all but a square inch away from it, but you can't cut the middle out?

Maybe there used to be a ruling but I don't see anything on the page:

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/nroi_rulings.php

Later,

Chuck

I'm not speaking of a rule - rather an NROI ruling, or something to that effect... Of course, I'm working from my rather poor memory, so... :D

Yup, that's what I was talking about. From the top of the linked page:

"All NROI rulings issued for the January 2004 rulebook are published on this page."

It sounds like those poor souls are good to go. :(

When you cut out the A-zone, cut 1/4 inch inside the perf . . . voila, non-scoring border, just like on the outer edge.

We did this at our club once.

Brilliant!

On the tactical/practical note: it seems to me our sport is.... a sport. A game if you will, which is based on a martial/tactical/practical endeavor, just as Olympic Judo competition derives from Samurai hacking each other to bits with swords for 1200 years. It is a good thing to remember our martial history. It is another entirely to confuse the game with the bloodletting. Would a soldier in the streets of [insert theater of combat here] run around like we do on a field course? Probably not for long. On the other hand how many USPSA/IPSC shooters are on uncle Sam's payroll teaching those troops how to shoot?

Now I just have to ask, was this stage called Fearless Fosdick?