Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Be And 300 Connection?

bayoupirate

I've been checking out the Gym Jones workouts that the actors and stunt guys used to prepare for the movie 300. This stuff's all interesting and seems seriously intense, but check out the last video on the page titled MSFU. THat's an acronym for the title of the song playing in the background and WARNING the FU part of the lyrics are "Explicit Lyrics".

If that might offend you, simply turn off your sound.

http://www.gymjones.com/video.php

Look at about 2:10 into the clip and Mark Twight is wearing an Ancient Publishing T-shirt with the Maku Mozo on the back.

What's the connection?

Edited by bayoupirate

Good catch Chris.

Compared to that guy, it looks like a t-shit on me.

But I'm inspired and challenged by this type of training.

Some of this stuff is certain to improve my shooting.

Right Now I can do 2.75 PULL UPS.

How do you figure what part of a pull up is the .75 part ???

Don't feel bad ......... I'm trying to keep up with Pharoah Bender & all I can do is 20 minutes on the elliptical. :lol:

I do have to say he's got one thing figured out. Pick out a good movie, and watch that while excersizing. I used to listen to "Kick A$$" type music to really get myself pumped up, but most songs are only 3 1/2 minutes, while the "Kick A$$" movies are 1 1/2 HOURS. The less my mind wanders the more workout I get.

Lately I've been changing up my workouts a little bit. I've been using a deck of cards.

Diamonds = Burpees

Hearts = Pull ups

Spades = Crunches (doubled...on a swiss ball)

Clubs = Squats

Just shuffle up a deck, draw a card and do a set of that exercise with whatever number the size is. (Aces are 11).

One of the best and most varied workouts I've done.

You're right .75 does NOT Count. If you watch the Pull-Ups video, he explains just what a pull up is and a chin to the bar counts for nothing. The entire head must be above the bar and the elbow down in line with the torso of the body. Anything short of that is a ZERO and must be done over.

I like the cards idea. My problem is I absolutely HATE weight lifting. It's boring to me.

Some of the ideas I really liked about this philosophy are:

They use music to drive them.

They constantly vary the workouts.

They constantly have a challenge/competition aspect to their workouts.

They don't have any fancy Equipment or machines.

Most of their drills are whole body and not isolated muscle body groups.

(rowing, pulling the large rope, picking up and throwing the medicne ball, etc)

They go and go till they can't go no mo.

I saw this one thing on the 300 reps called Knees to Elbows and wondered what it was. I clicked on the link. I hope to be able to do a few of these one day.

Here's the vid link.

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/001733.html

.....called Knees to Elbows and wondered what it was. I clicked on the link. I hope to be able to do a few of these one day.

OH MY .... And I thought I knew what that was going to be. In the army we had something called Mountain Climbers, and I used to do a standing variation called knees to elbows, but NOTHING like that.

I can't believe the dude doing the WINDSHIELD WIPERS! :o

Max points for the pull-ups for the AFA PFT was 21, min was 7. This was for men. Had a recruited football player who couldn't do 1, that's right, ONE pullup.

I always maxed out the pullups. The scorer/grader guy lost count one time and I think I actually did 27. I kept going until he said, "Mmm'kay, I think that's enough."

The thing about starting pullups back up again is the tendonitis in the forearms.

That girl in the video won't ever ask you to open jars for her.

(Forest Gump voice on)

And that's all I gotta say about that.

(voice off)

Anytime you bring your knees up to the ribs or elbows you are definitely working the abs.

Lately I've been changing up my workouts a little bit. I've been using a deck of cards.

Diamonds = Burpees

Hearts = Pull ups

Spades = Crunches (doubled...on a swiss ball)

Clubs = Squats

Just shuffle up a deck, draw a card and do a set of that exercise with whatever number the size is. (Aces are 11).

One of the best and most varied workouts I've done.

Nice, do you get through the whole deck? That's like what, 105 reps of each? I'm gonna borrow that Jake, if you don't mind. :D

95 Reps total I think.

Your more than welcome to borrow it. I like doing it that way because you and basically guaranteed to never duplicate a workout.

And you can substitute anything else in there to. Man-Makers, Dips, Medicine ball slams, and wall ball shots make pretty good additions.

I've been checking out the Gym Jones workouts that the actors and stunt guys used to prepare for the movie 300. This stuff's all interesting and seems seriously intense, but check out the last video on the page titled MSFU. THat's an acronym for the title of the song playing in the background and WARNING the FU part of the lyrics are "Explicit Lyrics".

If that might offend you, simply turn off your sound.

http://www.gymjones.com/video.php

Look at about 2:10 into the clip and Mark Twight is wearing an Ancient Publishing T-shirt with the Maku Mozo on the back.

What's the connection?

To say that I was overwhelmed wouldn't be enough, when Mark asked me to write the foreword for his book "Kiss or Kill, Confessions of a Serial Climber." He tells well, crazy, true stories:

http://www.amazon.com/Kiss-Kill-Confession...9766&sr=1-3