Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking Of Getting A 1050

I have loaded for a while with (2) 550's and I am only going to do .40 with the machine.

Going to get the powder check too.

Just wanted to know if the thing is a pain in the a$$ to keep running,

or priming system is tricky or ???

Just general stuff like the:

550 primer bar gets slow with crud and needs to be cleaned

650 can set primers off (not the first time I heard this one)

Thanks,

Chuck

Any progressive machine is going to need more maintenance than a single stage press. There are more moving parts and more things that can break.

That being said, I've got a 550 and a 650 and as long as I do my part, they do theirs.

The thing to keep in mind with a 1050 is that there is no lifetime, "no BS" warranty with the 1050. You break, you buy. If you're wanting to go progressive, hard to beat a 650.

YMMV.

I don't mind the Warranty issue. I really want the powder check. I think the KISS feeder is in my future. I am a person who cuts to the chase with nice things...I have a case feeder for one of my 550's and it is nice but not quit it for me. I find myself unable to pickup any gun except my SVI sighttracker...so 4K/month is not out of the question.

If you have a dedicated 40 machine.. and don't change things..

The 1050 runs very well, once it's all adjusted right. it does take some monkeying with. but once it's good, it's very good.

But it's the same powder measure for all 3 presses.

And the 1050 can light off the primers too..

If you are getting the KISS there is really no reason for the 1050 for pistol cartridges.

I have a 650 with the KISS bullet feeder and I really can't see ever needing to go to the 1050 unless I was loading 223 and needed the primer pocket swaging station.

I originally bought the 650 with the powder check but I found that after 35k trouble free rounds that its more about paying attention to what you are doing than the alarms.

I'd have to say you can't go wrong with it. I have the older 1050's and have no problems with them except once when the primers were hanging up. Turns out it was just a smashed rubber grommet.

I've used other brand progressive reloaders and a RL450 which all gave me more problems than my 1050's.

Go for it... you won't be sorry.

Gary

The 1050 runs very well, once it's all adjusted right. it does take some monkeying with. but once it's good, it's very good.

x2.

I wouldn't worry about the warranty issue either. The 1050's are over-built/engineered. There really isn't a part on it that will wear out if you take care of it. The only exception might be the rubber bumper on the primer slide but change that out periodically, and you're good to go.

I don't mind the Warranty issue. I really want the powder check. I think the KISS feeder is in my future. I am a person who cuts to the chase with nice things...I have a case feeder for one of my 550's and it is nice but not quit it for me. I find myself unable to pickup any gun except my SVI sighttracker...so 4K/month is not out of the question.

I'm not sure where you'd put a powder check die on a 1050 with a KISS unless you go to a combo seater+crimper.

The 1050 is a pain to change calibers, even if you have another $100 toolhead. It also takes longer to disassemble for cleaning and adjustment than a 650. It's significantly easier to operate than a 650.

If you are getting the KISS there is really no reason for the 1050 for pistol cartridges.

I have a 650 with the KISS bullet feeder and I really can't see ever needing to go to the 1050 unless I was loading 223 and needed the primer pocket swaging station.

1050 everything is on the downstroke, that is a huge thing for me. I hate reloading. Getting the RF 100 and KISS are a big plus.

If you have a dedicated 40 machine.. and don't change things..

But it's the same powder measure for all 3 presses.

And the 1050 can light off the primers too..

Chuck,

There's nothing wrong with a 1050. First, it'll light up and reload faster and better quality ammo than the 650. Everything is done on the downstroke, so reloading is much, much smoother. The gearing and everything about the machine is just better built and runs much more smooth.

I have a dedicated .38 Super and a dedicated .40 1050 with a XL650 for the other calibers.

As for lighting off primers...all of them can do that but I'm at close too 200k and counting with no issues.

Big tips are like with any other machine. Keep it clean and lubed. After that, recognize you'll be getting GREAT ammo every time you pull the handle.

Rich

ETA: I'll be ordering at least 1 KISS bullet feeder to hook up to the 1050's. I've got a Casepro sistered next to one as it is. Love them doodads.

Edited by uscbigdawg

<_< my wife Got my 1050 from Brian as my Xmass gift :wub: Brian is ! & the 1050 is great, getting it from my Wife =Even Better=

I still have my 650 for my revolver and rifle I would never give the 650 up.

If I did not have a 650 yet I would get that with the new Kiss unit

One thing on the 1050 is that sells stay low with the dies moving up and down, = I think that is one thing that make the 1050 faster to load on.

I had the 650 for 8 years for the past 5 I wanted a 1050

<_< If you get the 650 you will want a 1050 ;)

Edited by AlamoShooter