Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Tecnique For Shooting While Moving On Side ...

Stefano

What is the best tecnique for shooting a group of targets in front of you, while moving on side (to the left or to the right) ?

Imagin you have two boxes (A+B 7/8 mt. apart one from the other, and 3/4 targets in front of them at 10/12 mt.: You have to shoot all the targets while moving from A to B.

My question is related in particular to the position of the legs: how is better to move them ?

It is better to cross the legs while facing the targets with the upper-body, or it is more efficient (for who is able to do ...) turning the upper-body to the targets while the legs are walking forward the next box ?

I've tried both solutions, and personally I found that the 1st. is - for me - easier, but also the slowest: what do you think about ?

Edited by Stefano

I have heard TJ teach to rotate the upper body. Personally, I do better stopping and shooting. I am not that flexible and I find it difficult to twist , move and hit. If the targets are close I might do the cross step.

I heard Max say last year at A6 that he tries to not shoot on the move. He looks like he never stops moving to me. :)

Point your feet right at the position you are heading to and walk straight there with knees deeply bent. Turn your upper body over your legs like a turret toward the targets and shoot.

I have heard TJ teach to rotate the upper body. Personally, I do better stopping and shooting. I am not that flexible and I find it difficult to twist , move and hit. If the targets are close I might do the cross step.

I heard Max say last year at A6 that he tries to not shoot on the move. He looks like he never stops moving to me. :)

Twisting the the upper body while shooting on the move is very hard for me too ...

At the moment I've found two different solutions, and I'm wondering what is the best: I'm not a GM but only "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" (Production B-class shooter ... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ).

The FIRST I've seen is the 3GM DVD, where Max Michel teach how to exiting/entering shooting positions: in particular that tecnique he calls "easy exit/enter".

It is a very smoot tecnique to "roll-over" the position where you have to shoot, and I was thinking that using this tecnique in short sequence, one step after the other, it could be a good solution for shooting accurate points while moving on side, facing the targerts in front of you.

The SECOND I've noticed is from Eric Grauffel's website: a video is worth 1000 words, so ...please, take a look at :

http://www.ericgrauffel.com/ and then go to:

Eric's info \ internet videos \ panama medium

in the middle of the stage there is "the clou" of the tecnique I mean: Eric shoots when his leading foot touches the ground (while also the other foot is on the ground and his stance is quite stable ...).

What works best about you (assuming that - unfortunately - we are neither Max, nor Eric ....) ??

Edited by Stefano

If you can check out the article in the Jan/Feb 07 "Front Sight" magazine. On page 16 is a

piece called, GM Tips : On the Move With Don Golembieski. Very good description of

shooting WHILE moving.

Jim

If you can check out the article in the Jan/Feb 07 "Front Sight" magazine. On page 16 is a

piece called, GM Tips : On the Move With Don Golembieski. Very good description of

shooting WHILE moving.

Jim

I'm sorry but I'm from Italy and here we have not access to Front Sight Magazine .. :(:(:(

shooting WHILE moving.

Jim

I'm sorry but I'm from Italy and here we have not access to Front Sight Magazine .. :(:(:(

I'm contacting the author to see if they will email you a copy of the article.

Jim

Jim

GREAT ! Thanks Jim ! :):):)

By tha way ... I know that Front Sight it's a "must-to-have" between practical shooting magazines ...

Can I subscribe it joining to USPSA ?

Even if it will be very-hard for me shooting in USPSA, due to the fact that I live in Italy ??

Jim

GREAT ! Thanks Jim ! :):):)

By tha way ... I know that Front Sight it's a "must-to-have" between practical shooting magazines ...

Can I subscribe it joining to USPSA ?

Even if it will be very-hard for me shooting in USPSA, due to the fact that I live in Italy ??

Yes...contact them here

http://www.frontsightmagazine.org/

Jim

• 4 months later...

They do have foreign memberships in uspsa.

So call up Deb or Val and get yourself a uspsa membership if for anything just the magazine.

Whatever not sure of the name.

Edited because I am horrid with names.

Edited by Kingman

Join USPSA guys ! Even Front Sight alone deserves it !

I started shooting on the move ala TJ. Upper body facing as much as possible targets and legs directed toward the next box/spot.

It's easier for me to shoot this way while moving from left to right, this is more natural as I'm right handed.

Then Eric G. gave us a course where his technique was to cross the legs and have the whole body facing the targets.

I'd say it's more difficult for me because I get used to TJ's technique, but when shooting partials, or far targets, this technique is better for me.

I'd say try both and take the one that works best for you.