Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Limited Vs. Cz-75 Ts

996fan2007

What to do, what to do...

I love the feel of the checkering and squared triggerguard of the Witness Limited, but I prefer the longer slide (and sight radius) and the unbelievably great factory trigger pull on the CZ-75.

What do y'all think?

What do y'all think?

Go CZ!!!!!!! The Ts is a great gun and is becoming very popular. I was in the same spot you are about this time last year. I really liked the appearances of the EAA, but some of the guys on this forum pointed me straight. the major points are as follows:

1. CZ-USA has excellent customer service and support. I called them a couple of weeks ago for a part for my TS. The first person a got on the phone knew the gun, what the part was, and even went in to the stocks to make sure they had it! I got the part literally the next day! Now that's service. I've heard of very serious customer service issues at EAA. This might be because they don't have on full-time gunsmith on staff that can repair the tanfoglios. As I understand it most repairs have to be shipped out to Italy, which can take some time.

2. The EAA doesn't have the same mag capacity in .40. Factor in adding base pads to your TS mags and the gap grows.

3. CZ-USA really supports our sport, although I understand the EAA is becoming more active.

4. The guys that are on the CZ-USA shooting team are really involved in product R&D and can answer any of your questions. A lot of them are even on this forum!

But please don’t take my word for it, I'm a little biased being a TS zealot in' all. Ask other TS owners, they’ll tell you :ph34r:

Kevin J

I can see that you are a CZ fan and that's very cool. Glad you're a fan. I have to correct you on a few incorrect statements about EAA.

As I understand it most repairs have to be shipped out to Italy, which can take some time.
I don't know where you heard this, but EAA in Florida have their own gunsmiths handling repairs. They work hard on getting the guns back to the customers right away. No guns are ever sent to Italy for repair.
2. The EAA doesn't have the same mag capacity in .40. Factor in adding base pads to your TS mags and the gap grows.
In fact, the opposite is true. The EAA Witness holds 21 + 1 rounds in 140mm and 18 + 1 in IPSC box rule magazines. Check your facts and see how many rounds you can actually fit in a CZ 140mm mag. Then get back to me.

The EAA Witness Limited is a state-of-the-art pistol that shoots flatter than any other limited pistol I've tried. If you take a look at the EAA Witness you'll see it's a true competition ready pistol. The Tanfoglio factory listens to their shooters world wide and builds pistols with all the bells and whistles right out of the box. To mention a few things; bull barrel, nice ambi safeties, big magwell, competition checkering, square trigger guard etc. Stuff that we who shoot EAA expect a gun should be equipped with. Besides a custom gun, what other production gun can even begin to compare features?

..but I guess you could say I'm slightly biased as well. I bought my first Tanfoglio in 1992, immediately progressed to National level after I made the switch and picked up factory sponsorship. I haven't looked back or thought about switching to another gun since..

As far as customer service; through my website/email I help answer any question anyone might have about the guns. I recently opened an online store where I offer factory and after market spare parts. EAA gives Limited Lifetime Warranty on all their guns. It means if anything went wrong with the gun and you didn't f*#k with the it, they'll warranty it, for life.

Unless I'm out skiing (...) I'm available through my site and will help as best I can.

Henning

Henning,

I don't know how to skirt around this so I'll just ask. In the past, I'm talking about the mid-90's, EAA built a horrible reputation for customer service. Hanging up on customers, guns missing recoil springs, guns without sights, etc... really bad things were happening and it made a lot of shooters really mad.

What's changed? Why would I consider an EAA today while knowing (first hand) what was going on 10 years ago? Please, this isn't a flame, I'm really asking this question with an open mind.

Tanfoglio has a great rep in Europe, but stateside their American importer really soiled that good reputation.

its a toss up.. because from the looks of it Henning is going to fix the Bad Customer rep that EAA has had in the past...but i am impressed with the parts dept CZ USA has.. Adam and CJ have been of GREAT help to me i screwed up on my springs and followers and they have replaced them immediately with no problems and CZ is my choice for now... but ill have to try an EAA Limited to make the choice final, i mean a reliable 21 round mag does sound very good : )

Edited by ogiebb

996fan2007 it sounds like you are leaning towards the CZ TS. I'm a little biased as well since I've had my TS. Henning does look like he's improving the EAA/Tanfoglio image hear in the states and to that I say more power to him. I'd like to get my hands on an EAA Witness Elite Gold Team and since CZ really doesn't have a Open division pistol and EAA does and is based on the CZ design I think the Witness is the next logical step.

I'm with ogiebb more capacity and reliable mags are the way to go.

Just my 2 cents; I shoot a Tanfoglio Gold Elite Open and love it, since getting the gun I have not had much dealing with EAA apart from ordering a few spare parts. Now Henning has his shop up and running I will be getting all my parts from him, he only lives a few miles down the road after all :D

As to tuning the gun; Any gunsmith worth his/her salt should be able to put a pretty good trigger job on the gun, mine is still factory standard and I like it as is. Other than that there's not much to do to the gun, whether Limited or Open the guns have just about everything done at the factory. It's like buying a customised ready built Open/Limited gun.

Once I settled on the right recoil spring (12lb with a couple of coils cut off and a sprinco) and some Arredondo springs/followers (Grams work great as well) then I was all set and the gun is 100% reliable.

Tanfoglio has a great reputation in Europe but any reputation is only as good as the local supplier. I have had no cause to complain about EAA, though others may have and some have had similar good experiences.

In the unlikely event that the gun breaks, then EAA will fix it under their warranty, unless that happens then most shooters will have little or no interaction with EAA. Your local gunsmith can do any minor tuning for you and then get your parts from Henning.

The guns are considerably less than SVI/STI and they are capable of winning major matches if the shooter does their thing.

For next year's season I'll be getting a Witness. One of the reasons that made me decide for it was that my favorite gunsmith, Rich Dettelhouser, will soon be working on them. Just so you add that to the Witness pluses.

Anyone know what the difference is in barrel length and sight radius between the EAA and the CZ?

I've seen a couple CZ-75TSs but I haven't handled an EAA Limited. The triggers on the CZs were untouched and around 2.0-2.5 pounds...what can I expect on the EAA?

I gotta admit, from what I've heard, if the CZ had decent 30lpi checkering on the front and back and triggerguard with a squared bottom, this would be an easy choice.

Edited by 996fan2007

That's a much older model... This is the new one...

WitnessEliteLimited.jpg

Retail is about $1049.00. With a friendly dealer you may be able to get it for less.

Yeah, I figured that one was older, although by how much I couldn't begin to guess. Still, it seemed like a decent gun for the money.

I bought parts from Henning about one day after he opened his store, which is HIS store, in Colorado.

Parts for one of those mid-90s guns that the people in Miami didn't care about.

My $.02, if you like EAA & you can get everything from Henning, you will be happy.

If you like CZ, and can get everything from Matt Mink or Angus, you will be happy.

Either way, get spare slide-stop pins, spare extractors, don't experiment with mags - get the recommended set-up - and off you go.

Tanfoglio Limited HC Custom (European name, if we are talking about the same gun: the best available Tanfoglio for IPSC standard class, bull barrell, FO front sight and long frame: Picture ) and CZ TS are both really popular around here. CZ is uglier, Tanf looks great. Some shooters have had some initial problems with Tanfoglio, but when those are sorted out, they've been running ok. All CZ's have run reliably from day 1, and they're ugly enough for DIY modifications. Looks-wise, my choise would be Tanfoglio, but I still bought a CZ. :rolleyes:

As far as the grip goes, it's easy to sharpen the checkering with a hand file, or take it off completely and use skateboard tape instead. Both guns suit my hands better than S_I style, but that's just because I've been shooting with CZ configuration for all my life. All I've done to TS was to round out the upper edge of right grip panel, and add some grip tape.

Edited by askomiko

Anyone know what the difference is in barrel length and sight radius between the EAA and the CZ?

I've seen a couple CZ-75TSs but I haven't handled an EAA Limited. The triggers on the CZs were untouched and around 2.0-2.5 pounds...what can I expect on the EAA?

I like both CZ and Tanfoglio and I support having capable alternatives in USPSA Limited - besides just the Glock and s_i. THat being said, BOTH the Tanfoglio and CZ have:

-Top ranked shooters in the US supporting their product: Angus and Matt support CZ and Henning supports Tanfoglio.

-gunsmith support: CZ has several in-house smiths as well as Angus, Matt and Moisi (who might do Tanfoglio too); Tanfoglio has Henning and EGW (who may also do CZ).

-both have magazine capacity to rival or exceed s_i, Glock and Para at similar or lower cost. There is NO question about the incredible accuracy and reliability of the CZ and Tanfoglio.

And there is increasing aftermarket parts support for both, in case you want to customize.

Edited by Carlos

Henning,

Thanks for setting for setting me straight!

KJ

Kevin J

I can see that you are a CZ fan and that's very cool. Glad you're a fan. I have to correct you on a few incorrect statements about EAA.

As I understand it most repairs have to be shipped out to Italy, which can take some time.
I don't know where you heard this, but EAA in Florida have their own gunsmiths handling repairs. They work hard on getting the guns back to the customers right away. No guns are ever sent to Italy for repair.
In fact, the opposite is true. The EAA Witness holds 21 + 1 rounds in 140mm and 18 + 1 in IPSC box rule magazines. Check your facts and see how many rounds you can actually fit in a CZ 140mm mag. Then get back to me.

The EAA Witness Limited is a state-of-the-art pistol that shoots flatter than any other limited pistol I've tried. If you take a look at the EAA Witness you'll see it's a true competition ready pistol. The Tanfoglio factory listens to their shooters world wide and builds pistols with all the bells and whistles right out of the box. To mention a few things; bull barrel, nice ambi safeties, big magwell, competition checkering, square trigger guard etc. Stuff that we who shoot EAA expect a gun should be equipped with. Besides a custom gun, what other production gun can even begin to compare features?

..but I guess you could say I'm slightly biased as well. I bought my first Tanfoglio in 1992, immediately progressed to National level after I made the switch and picked up factory sponsorship. I haven't looked back or thought about switching to another gun since..

As far as customer service; through my website/email I help answer any question anyone might have about the guns. I recently opened an online store where I offer factory and after market spare parts. EAA gives Limited Lifetime Warranty on all their guns. It means if anything went wrong with the gun and you didn't f*#k with the it, they'll warranty it, for life.

Unless I'm out skiing (...) I'm available through my site and will help as best I can.

Henning